Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Series Thread: FIU @ FAU - Mar 15-17, 2013

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

What:      FIU (10-8) at Florida Atlantic (11-7)

When:      Fri,  Mar 15th at 6:30 PM
                Sat, Mar 16th at 4:00 PM
                Sun, Mar 17th at 1:00 PM

Where:    FAU Baseball Stadium

Live Stats  Here

Series:    The Owls holds a 47-43 all-time advantage over the Panthers, having took all five games in the series last season. FAU is 10-6 against FIU over the past three seasons.

Projected Starting Pitchers:

Friday:      FAU - LHP Austin Gomber (1-1, 2.08 ERA)
                FIU- TBA

Saturday:  FAU - RHP Jake Meiers (1-2, 4.74 ERA)
                FIU - TBA

Sunday:    FAU - RHP Jeremy Strawn (1-0, 2.62 ERA)
                FIU - TBA

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Florida Atlantic opens up Sun Belt Conference play this weekend with a familiar opponent in rival Florida International.

After being shutout earlier in the week, the Owl’s offense exploded for a 15-6 win over Maine on Wednesday night.

The key for FAU this weekend will be finding a level of consistency against FIU.

On numerous occasions this season the Owls have jumped out to an early lead, only for the offense to stall and the bats go silent. Head coach John McCormack is hoping that his club will be able to overcome those circumstances by duplicating the same results from Wednesday night.

“We have had some false starts offensively,” McCormack said. “We can’t think we have this lift. We have to come out with the same intensity and try to keep this thing going. Hopefully with a game against a quality opponent guys will feel good.”

FAU’s offense has been up and down for a majority of the season, but Wednesday night the players seemed to have finally relaxed.

Junior right fielder Tyler Rocklein, who was moved down in the lineup, had his best game of the year going 5-for-6 with a home run and three runs batted in.

“I feel like I was probably trying a little too hard instead of just playing. I think we all were coming into the season with the expectations of what our offense should have done, and we kind put too much pressure on ourselves,” Rocklein said.

Rocklein (photo), a junior college transfer, leads the Owl’s lineup with a .314 batting average and a team-high 22 hits.

FAU will send left hander Austin Gomber to the mound on Friday to start the series, but the spotlight will be on Jake Meiers who is scheduled to pitch on Saturday. Meiers is 0-2 in his last three appearances, and struggled against Toldeo.

The Panthers travel to Boca Raton ridding a three-game win streak. FIU took two midweek games from USF after picking up a Sunday win over Rice. The team is led by Edwin Rios and Aramis Garcia who have combined for five home runs and 34 runs batted in.

With the Owls searching for consistency against the Panthers, one player who could make a difference is designated hitter Brendon Sanger. The freshman is 5-for-10 this season with five runs batted in, and has often came up with a clutch hit in situational appearances.

While this weekend will mark Sanger’s first series against the rival Panthers, he understands the importance of matchup.

“I have heard that they’re a good club, but look what we have got here, we’re pretty stacked,” Sanger said. “If we can get on a roll here hopefully that can lead to some sweeps.”
Back to the top

Re: Series Thread: FIU @ FAU - Mar 15-17, 2013

How do you all not have a video stream? I mean, at least a premium subscription service. Ours is free. Dammit, Owls. Get it together.
Back to the top

pikepanther said

How do you all not have a video stream? I mean, at least a premium subscription service. Ours is free. Dammit, Owls. Get it together.

Bro, we don't even have a restroom for our players to use…they have a port-o-potty…and you can just imagine how that thing get's come May?

;D

Anyways, the press box is in need of a major overall as well, and you have to prioritize your needs!

Video streaming is a ways away…….
Back to the top

Its Friday at 12:10 PM EST….

And FIU still sucks.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Its Friday at 12:10 PM EST….

And FIU still sucks.

Hahaha! Love it

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Series Thread: FIU @ FAU - Mar 15-17, 2013

The best part of our stadium is the hill past the corner bases. I hope at least one of those never go.
Back to the top

HootinHollerin said

The best part of our stadium is the hill past the corner bases. I hope at least one of those never go.

You mean the outfield berms??
Back to the top

End 1:

FAU 3 FIU 0

Owls with a productive opening frame. Three hits, three runs. Mike Spano drives home two runs with a two-out double.
Back to the top

End 2:

FAU 3 FIU 0

Owls load the bases but can't produce a run. Austin Gomber already with three strikeouts.
Back to the top

End 3:

FAU 3 FIU 0

Austin Gomber is dealing. Coach McCormack talked about "false starts" offensively this week, hope thats not the case tonight.
Back to the top
Control functions: