Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt Sends Two to NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Sun Belt Sends Two to NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

The Sun Belt Conference will be sending two teams to the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship for the first time since 2008 as Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky University are part of the 68 team field.  The announcement was made by the NCAA Sunday afternoon.

WKU will face off against the No. 1 seed Kansas Jayhawks on Thursday, March 21 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Kansas.  The Hilltoppers are making their second consecutive trip to the NCAA postseason after earning the Sun Belt automatic qualifier during the 2013 Sun Belt Championship last week in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

WKU (20-15) is making its 23rd overall NCAA tournament appearance and fourth in the last six years.

Middle Tennessee, meanwhile, will help open the First Four in Dayton on Tuesday night, facing Saint Mary’s. The winner will play Memphis on Thursday.

Middle Tennessee (28-5) was upset by FIU 61-57 in the Sun Belt semifinals, ending the nation's longest active winning streak at 17 games. The Blue Raiders won their conference's regular season title with a 19-1 record.

Source: Sun Belt Media Relations
Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt Sends Two to NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Glad two got in, but for MTSU to have to be in the play-in game sucks! Belt gets little respect and we are a mid to weak Belt team guys!
Back to the top

MTSU is gonna have a tough time with St Mary's but if they win that I think they can pull off a first round upset.
Back to the top

I see CUSA only got one team in the dance - and that is Memphis who are leaving - sucks.
Back to the top

Middle about to tip against St Mary's…9:18 EST.

Game is on True TV (25 Comcast Palm Beach County).

Blue Raiders are a +3 underdog according to the Land of Sin…
Back to the top

1164 AT&T U verse

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Can someone explain the 11 seed play in game?  Basically they are saying that whoever loses this game will be better than 20 teams behind them who get to goto the dance…shouldn't play in games be for 16 seeds, and at large teams?
Back to the top

JOKE.

They should not be playing in, but because of weaker auto-bids they are forced to…….

Just my 2c.
Back to the top

FINAL

St. Mary's 67
MTSU 54
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

FINAL

St. Mary's 67
MTSU 54

A very bad game for MTSU - 54 points, ouch! Just proved the many naysayers about them and the Belt correct.

But I agree about the "strangeness" of the play-in "winner" not being automatically the 16th seed. I guess it is a reward for playing and winning the extra game to NOT have to face the No. 1 seed.
Back to the top
Control functions: