Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Faculty Oppose Stadium Renaming Too

Add topic

Adding more to the pile, the South Florida Business Journal is reporting that "the Florida Atlantic University Faculty Senate voted Friday to oppose administrators' decision to name the FAU stadium after The GEO Group."

I'm sure it will be summarily disregarded by Administration but it's worth a mention here.

Back to the top

Re: FAU Faculty Oppose Stadium Renaming Too

Owl2Doc said

Adding more to the pile, the South Florida Business Journal is reporting that "the Florida Atlantic University Faculty Senate voted Friday to oppose administrators' decision to name the FAU stadium after The GEO Group."

I'm sure it will be summarily disregarded by Administration but it's worth a mention here.

+1!

Not going to amount to a hill of beans…….

Didn't they also oppose building the stadium??
Back to the top

Can someone please find out what the NATIONAL media exposure FGCU is getting is worth? I'm reading article after article about how people didn't know this school existed and now they're giant killers and people will always remember them.

I bring this up because there will be a flood of admissions there, enrollment will go up, standards get raised, degree is worth more…all because of that silly basketball team that I'm sure plenty of the academics at that university don't want to support either.

It blows my mind when people who are so intelligent struggle connecting the dots to the benefit of a successful athletic program and overall university success.
Back to the top

FAU Faculty Oppose Stadium Renaming Too

I am sorry, I understand the benefits of having a successful athletic program, but at the same time; it is sad that a school can raise its standards because of a basketball team exposure. This is just my opinion.
Back to the top

I think we are overstating the impact of their basketball team. Don't get me wrong, I think what they're doing is awesome, especially because I like FGCU but this isn't going to automatically grow their enrollment or raise their standards dramatically. Will this help a little? Ya, they may get…50 more kids but this ONE tourney appearance isn't going to change their standards.

Now if they keep this up for 4-5 years? Then ya, it will. But I can't see that hapenning…
Back to the top

Will it help, yes. Big time who knows.

However I watched Good Mornign America this morning before going to work and the third thign discussses was FGCU. THey showed pictures of the "beach" and the spa at the school. One of the hosts then commented. "Man, why wasnt I aware of this school when I was looking for a college?"

It WILL put them more on the map.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I think we are overstating the impact of their basketball team. Don't get me wrong, I think what they're doing is awesome, especially because I like FGCU but this isn't going to automatically grow their enrollment or raise their standards dramatically. Will this help a little? Ya, they may get…50 more kids but this ONE tourney appearance isn't going to change their standards.

Now if they keep this up for 4-5 years? Then ya, it will. But I can't see that hapenning…

Their coach is responsible for the turnaround…pretty sure his phone will be ringing off the hook soon enough.

Bottom line:

Unless they can match this hire, will likely have a hard time keeping the momentum…….

BTW, here is a really good read on him:  Andy Enfield, Self Made Millionaire who is married to a Supermodel
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Will it help, yes. Big time who knows.

However I watched Good Mornign America this morning before going to work and the third thign discussses was FGCU. THey showed pictures of the "beach" and the spa at the school. One of the hosts then commented. "Man, why wasnt I aware of this school when I was looking for a college?"

It WILL put them more on the map.

Not saying it won't put them more on the map, but it won't change the culture of the school. Again, no disrespect to them because I really like FGCU.

Also, it should be pointed out that their "beach" is actually a lake..FAU is still closer to the ocean  ;D
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Also, it should be pointed out that their "beach" is actually a lake..

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Photo Courtesy FGCU Housing
Back to the top

Yes, but see the media didnt say that.

They said "BEACH". That alone might get people interested and is probably one fo the reasons that FAU is avidly pushing the BEACH theme as well.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: