Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Poole Placed on Administrative Leave for "Safety Reasons"

Add topic

Per FAU Statement:

FAU instructor Deandre Poole, Ph.D., has been placed on administrative leave effective immediately for safety reasons. As a result of the reaction to a recent exercise in Dr. Poole's intercultural communications class, the instructor's personal safety has been compromised.

In addition, this decision will prevent further disruption to the day-to-day operations of Florida Atlantic University.

Because of this, Dr. Poole will not teach any classes, conduct office hours, or be present at any of FAU's campuses or sites. Alternate instructors have been assigned to teach Dr. Poole's classes. Students have been notified and classes will continue as scheduled.
Back to the top

Re: Poole Placed on Administrative Leave for "Safety Reasons"

Strange is all I can say!
Back to the top

He and others are getting death threats at FAU because of this.

I guess that proves the point of his excersice eh? Some people take our symbols VERY seriously
Back to the top

Would his office be in the arts and letters complex? I noticed 2 fau squad cars by there during the week.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

I guess that proves the point of his excersice eh? Some people take our symbols VERY seriously

WAY too seriously to me. I am a Christian and beleive in the values Jusus taught - not this type of behavior. With threats and actions like these, you would have thunk Jesus was a Muslim! ;)

Wish I could talk with these idiots about how to conduct yourself as a follower of Christ! Heck, they failed the exercise because to me, the whole point was NOT to step of the image if you did not agree with the action or want to - NOT FREAK OUT in various ways!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Really, says who?  This is getting old.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Says me
Back to the top

Poole Placed on Administrative Leave for "Safety Reasons"

TeamBeer said

Says me

I meant the death threats Einstein.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I'm not going to fight with a stranger on a message board, I have plenty of contacts at the university and know what's going on. I don't have the time or energy to make things up about this

If you don't think there are enough zealots out there that would call and make ridiculous threats to some of the staff at "Stomp on Jesus University" I recommend reading some comments on the newspaper articles online, scary stuff.
Back to the top

Via the Sun Sentinel:

"Communications instructor Deandre Poole, who is black, has had death threats and racially charged messages left on his voice mail and in his email, said Chris Robe, president of the FAU chapter of the faculty union."

TeamBeer said

I'm not going to fight with a stranger on a message board, I have plenty of contacts at the university and know what's going on. I don't have the time or energy to make things up about this.

+1

As an aside, I talked to a couple of friends of mine yesterday who are FAU grad students. In their role as TAs, they've been physically threatened by students and fortunately had a paper trail to prove it. They were instructed to talk to the Dean before going to the police so FAU could handle it internally and were told not to come on campus for a few days while they resolved it. Neither of them filed a police report. That's an anecdote so take it FWIW.

Still, there's a lot of expectation out there that because you're paying for classes, FAU owes you a passing grade. A classmate in Organic Chemistry sued the professor because he got a C and claimed it would keep him out of medical school. Don't think that made the news but these things do happen.
Back to the top
Control functions: