Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Gaffes 101: FAU’s reputation taking hit after hit after hit

Add topic

On the Miami Herald website today…a  tossed salad consisting of Tracy, Geo Group, & Jesus Stomp, with a "Saunders' car vs the Jupiter protester" dressing:

"Even with new dorms and its own football team, the challenge for Florida Atlantic University has been simply getting noticed — more-established state universities such as the University of Florida often gobble up most of the media attention.

This semester, though, FAU has no problem attracting the limelight. The catch: FAU’s newfound name recognition is happening in the worst kind of way.

In the span of a few short months (and spring semester still isn’t over), FAU faculty and/or administrators have bizarrely questioned whether the Sandy Hook mass shooting really occurred, agreed to name the football stadium after a private prison operator known for human rights violations, and, most recently, received national scorn for a so-called “Jesus stomp” classroom lesson that infuriated Christians and Florida Gov. Rick Scott."

Back to the top

Re: Gaffes 101: FAU’s reputation taking hit after hit after hit

As an alumni all this is slightly embarrassing, but seeing as no one really cares what happens at FAU during 99% of the time, all this will pass and no one will care in 2 months.  My question on the whole Poole situation is did he really "force" the students to step (or stomp) on the "Jesus" paper?  To me its the difference between an overzealous teacher (if he forced it), or a student just looking to cause trouble and get attention (if there was no forcing).  Maybe I've missed it, but I have not seen any proof of what actually happened in the class.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

As an alumni all this is slightly embarrassing, but seeing as no one really cares what happens at FAU during 99% of the time, all this will pass and no one will care in 2 months.  My question on the whole Poole situation is did he really "force" the students to step (or stomp) on the "Jesus" paper?  To me its the difference between an overzealous teacher (if he forced it), or a student just looking to cause trouble and get attention (if there was no forcing).  Maybe I've missed it, but I have not seen any proof of what actually happened in the class.

The professors side…

Updated: FAU instructor in controversial Jesus assignment defends himself on website - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

"Most students dont step on the paper"

If this student really threatened physical violence to the professor he should be expelled.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Very important article (the Higher Ed one linked in this story).  Definitely worth the read.

The Miami Herald story, on the other hand, is a retread for the sake of keeping the story alive.
Back to the top

There is much more to the story.  Unfortunately, it will not be known unless a student speaks up.
Back to the top

SigEp77 said

There is much more to the story.  Unfortunately, it will not be known unless a student speaks up.

I believe this to be true as well. But the University is in a tough spot already. They can't go accusing  a student because the media has blindly already taken the student's side. FAU just seems to be taking its lumps and moving on.
Back to the top

The link to the Higher Ed article in the Sentinel article didn't work, but I get the idea.  I really hate how the media and the general public only hears one side of the story and just runs with it without question.  There is no doubt that somebody screwed up here and is definitely the bad guy, the question is who is it?  Like you guys have said, there is more to the story, but we may never know it. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I relate this to a company being wrongfully sued by an ex employee and settling out of court even though they are not guilty of the wrongdoing.

It's not worth the fight sometimes…cutting a check for $15k for someone to go away is much less expensive and easier than going through a trial just to prove you are right. I think FAU is in a similar situation, what's the point? So a large state institution can prove that one kid was wrong in the way he reacted to this program? It's over, it was a bad two weeks, lets move on.
Back to the top

Well all those negative folks should be very pleased with themselves now!
Back to the top

At least we have a nationally rank baseball team.
Back to the top
Control functions: