Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium Deal Dead

Add topic

GEO Group Foundation Withdraws $6 Million Gift to FAU Foundation

BOCA RATON, Fla. (April 1, 2013) – The GEO Group Foundation has informed the FAUFoundation today that in the best long-term interest of the University, the $6 million gift from GEOGroup Foundation has been withdrawn and the stadium no longer will be named GEO GroupStadium.

“What was originally intended as a gesture of GEO’s goodwill to financially assist the University’s athletic scholarship program has surprisingly evolved into an ongoing distraction to both of our organizations,” said GEO Group Chairman and CEO George Zoley.

“We employ many FAU graduates and Boca Raton community members. We take pride in running a well-respected company and are proud of our long-term support of the University.”

The $6 million gift was meant to help advance FAU’s athletic department. The gift was a 12-year commitment with annual payments of $500,000.

"FAU alumnus and Trustee Emeritus George Zoley and his colleagues have been loyal supporters of this University,” said FAU President Mary Jane Saunders. “

We are thankful for all of the companies, organizations and individuals who give to this university to support our mission, our
pursuit of academic excellence and valuable contributions to this community.”

Source: FAU MediaRelations
Back to the top

Re: Stadium Deal Dead

April fools? If not, I can't say I blame FAU. We're in no shape to continue receiving bad press. I think this can be spun that we are a responsible university and have decided to walk away and start with some receiving some better press. Now, can't the CEO just privately donate like $500K? lol
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

April fools? If not, I can't say I blame FAU. We're in no shape to continue receiving bad press. I think this can be spun that we are a responsible university and have decided to walk away and start with some receiving some better press. Now, can't the CEO just privately donate like $500K? lol

Nope, not a joke.

Although ironic timing!

Back to the top

Stadium Deal Dead

i was kind of feeling "owlcatraz"...i didnt really have a problem with the name it took us so long to even get a sponsor now owl fans want to trip hell half dont even come to the games anyway....we schedule all theses games where we are going to get smashed so we can pay for the stadium we get a name and we protest Fau isnt that big for us to trip over a name....come to the games support the owls and then ill respect the protesters opinion.

#FauOrDie
Back to the top

FAUOWLFAN11 said

i was kind of feeling "owlcatraz"…

Owlcatraz was and still is the coolest name of all time for a Stadium.

Shame it won't carry the same meaning, but no reason the label could not be considered regardless of the deal falling through.
Back to the top

I was going to say, "I'll believe this on April 2nd" but then I saw the story pop up on the Sun Sentinel, Dieter, WPTV and a couple more.
Back to the top

it just wouldnt have the same ring to it but im all for it.

#FauOrDie
Back to the top

whenever i go to the games to watch my brother there's 2500 3000 people at the max so i figure the people voting making these decisions dont go to many games. why is the media following us now they damn sure werent during the season. We barely had enough money to leave the sunbelt and go to C-usa we finally get a group willing to give us millions and we make and uproar. there are top notch power conference teams that are losings money every year so if theyre losing money so are we. we need all the pennies we can get some players wear old cleats old shoulder pads and the oxley center needs a few upgrade even tho minor upgrades….you dont see duffy's jumping to the front of the line trying to sponsor or ford whos at every game trying to give away free stuff this is 2013 if your butt hurt over a stadium name you obviously have no life.

#FauOrDie
Back to the top

I posted this on facebook. I'm disappointed that we're not going to get $500K a year but here's why I think it could work out better and what those students and faculty should do now they "won."

I'm OK with the students/alumni/faculty protesting the stadium naming rights. Lemme 'splain: The donation was a gift. (Granted, why would a private prison company need/want their name on a stadium? Would they show commercials like, "HEY! Are you going to prison? Do you have relatives from other countries that are criminals? Well if so, make sure to request a GEO Group run prison! Serving all your criminal needs! Our pillows are softer than those crummy old state-run penitentiaries!") Anyway, the fact that students/alumni/faculty cared THIS much about this money shows that their time/money/education/experience spent FAU means something to them. They care enough what they DON'T want their place of education to be known for. They obviously care about SOMETHING! Right? Now, those same students/alumni/faculty that so adamantly opposed this donation (that would have benefited them in the long run by reducing the amount of money from tuition that goes to Athletics) need to do their part by attending events, donating their time/money as alumni and supporting the University as a whole. Do your part by supporting FAU, go to the concerts/comedy shows/programs that SGA and other groups put on for students. Go to sporting events (our baseball team just swept the #24 team in the country and we're now ranked #25!) Go to alumni events. Go to class so you can graduate on time! And lastly, and most importantly, GO OWLS.
Back to the top

Congrats protesters, this 6 million dollars is going back to "torture prisoners" that y'all fought so hard for.
Unf***ingbelievable
Back to the top
Control functions: