Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FGCU Andy Enfield going to USC Trojans

Add topic

Per an ESPN alert on my phone.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Re: FGCU Andy Enfield going to USC Trojans

From ESPN:

Enfield was earning $157,000 a year at Florida Gulf Coast, but according to a source with direct knowledge, the USC deal will pay him "well over $1 million a year."

Biggest raise ever? Wow.

I imagine nobody at FGCU is surprised and the… Eagles?… sink will back into obscurity again next year unless they find some major dough under the couch cushions to fund a good replacement.
Back to the top

Wow, that happened much faster than I thought it would.

i saw on twitter that someone asked the question if FGCU will contact Matt McCall…hmm..
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

From ESPN:

Enfield was earning $157,000 a year at Florida Gulf Coast, but according to a source with direct knowledge, the USC deal will pay him "well over $1 million a year."

Biggest raise ever? Wow.

I imagine nobody at FGCU is surprised and the… Eagles?… sink will back into obscurity again next year unless they find some major dough under the couch cushions to fund a good replacement.

I'm not convinced they'll fade into oblivion because he's gone. He was a 1x coach of FSU and sure he was making much more there then he was at FGCU but eventually he took the job with the school.

I'm sure their success in March will lead to more money from donors and what not and they've only been in D-1 for what like 4-5 years? The school itself is brand new being built in '97. How we do know there's not another Andy Enfield at the local H.S. level who's willing to take this job or an assistant with another mid major who's looking to get his foot in the door somewhere.

All I'm saying is don't count them out just yet. They still have a talented group of kids and are in a better position to succeed then we are

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Collegiate sports sucks in the sense the COACHES show ZERO LOYALTY to their programs, kids, families or the institutions AT ALL.

The small programs lose their successful Coaches to the BigBoys AT MINIMUM 90% of the time. So much for this dude already being a miillionaire and not needing the $$$!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Collegiate sports sucks in the sense the COACHES show ZERO LOYALTY to their programs, kids, families or the institutions AT ALL.

The small programs lose their successful Coaches to the BigBoys AT MINIMUM 90% of the time. So much for this dude already being a miillionaire and not needing the $$$!
I agree but its hard to turn down $1MM a yr
Back to the top

I do agree, it is a shame there is such an unlevel playing field in Collegiate sports, makes it almost impossible for the small or newer programs to maintain and grow. and that is exactly how the BigBoys want to play and keep the "game"!
Back to the top

I mean honestly how much credit can you give Enfield for that run?  I mean FGCU still had to win their Conference tourney and beat Georgetown (constantly chokes in the first round) and San Diego State (a good mid-major).  Honestly I think the kids peaked at the right time and just rode the Conference tourney win right into the Tournament.  Good for him though, it would be criminal not to take the USC offer.
Back to the top

FGCU Andy Enfield going to USC Trojans

GeorgiaOwl said

Well, that's primarily a problem in the revenue sports I would think. I'd imagine you don't have the same turnover problem nationwide with volleyball, soccer and possibly even baseball coaches.

And again, he was only at FGCU for 2 years. He didn't exactly have to pull up a lot of roots to move to California. I just don't see a strong argument for him staying at FGCU. It's one thing if he had been there 10 years, maybe.

But this underscores the same type of problem we're going to have. Let's say we don't renew Jarvis and take on somebody like Matt McCall (or insert your own dynamic, up-and-coming young coach here). Let's say he comes here and 2-3 years in, he gets FAU to Sweet 16 or better. We're going to lose the guy too. As you point out, schools like us will always have this problem until we can build enough of a following to pay high enough of a salary to keep these guys here.

The whole "come live in paradise, FAU is three minutes from the beach" may work on 17 year olds in Minnesota but it doesn't have nearly the same effect on talented coaches making $200k who are faced with a $1M offer.

And if you think these people are going to stay because they're worried about higher expectations at the new place… I don't see that either. If the coaches have any self-confidence at all, which they will, there's no doubt in their mind that they're going to win at the new place. And even if they do lose and get the axe, a place like FAU or FGCU is more than happy to give them another shot at it for the same salary they used to make because, "our new coach is USC's old coach, whoa!"

It's all a game and most of it is upside for the coach while we ride the waves up and down.
Back to the top

He was making like what, $157K at FGCU. Now he's making over $1M? Can you imagine getting a raise TEN TIMES the amount you were previously making? I chose the wrong profession,lol.
Back to the top
Control functions: