Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rutgers Fires Basketball Coach in Slur Video . . .

Add topic

A videotape aired showing basketball coach Mike Rice shoving, grabbing players, and using slurs . . .

Story
Back to the top

Re: Rutgers Fires Basketball Coach in Slur Video . . .

Rutgers Fires Basketball Coach in Slur Video . . .

Absolutely unacceptable. Glad the footage got out.
Back to the top

He totally deserved to be fired, and the AD too for only "suspending' him before.
Back to the top

He only got fired because he wasn't winning. How many times have we heard Bobby Knight choked or head butted a player and nothing happened to him. I don't condone it and I think it's disgusting and 1 day one of these kids is going to turn around and beat the crap out of the coach, but the only reason Knight wasn't fired was because he was winning and bringing in a ton of money to IU and winning national championships. It was only once he started to decline they fired him for hitting a player

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

He only got fired because he wasn't winning. How many times have we heard Bobby Knight choked or head butted a player and nothing happened to him. I don't condone it and I think it's disgusting and 1 day one of these kids is going to turn around and beat the crap out of the coach, but the only reason Knight wasn't fired was because he was winning and bringing in a ton of money to IU and winning national championships. It was only once he started to decline they fired him for hitting a player

I respectfully disagree on the Bobby Knight thing.  I hate to even see his name mentioned in a thread about what happened at Rutgers.  I followed Coach Knight's career.  Until the end, when he was fired, he had never been accused of doing anything like that, ever.  I am not defending Coach Knight, I agreed with the decision to fire him, but his reputation was so blown out of proportion because he was intense and did not care what the media (or anyone else) thought of him.  His downfall was lack of PR.

I am willing to bet if we polled every former player to go through Indiana's system under Knight, 99% of them would walk in front of a bus for that man.  Well, maybe not walk in front of a bus, but you get the idea  :D.  He did so many great things that never got reported and he just did not care if they were reported.  Mike Rice cannot hold Bobby Knight's jock strap (that's the only sentence I will use the two names together) lol.

Back to the top
Control functions: