Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football Spring Camp April 3: DOF and Practice Tidbits

FAU Football Spring Camp April 3: DOF and Practice Tidbits

Pelini names DOF; Talks new on-campus recruiting position

Head coach Carl Pelini made things official Wednesday and announced the hiring of Heather Henderson as the new Director of Football Operations. Pelini explained that he would like to focus more on the coaching aspect of his job, and the addition of Henderson should give him that opportunity.

"It just get's to the point for me, were I want to coach. At this level it's hard to coach because there is just so much else going on," Pelini said. "As time goes on what I would like to happen, is that I'm not given that side stuff, because I know we have a structure in place and that it's going to get done. Ultimately it falls on her (Henderson's) shoulders."

Henderson will handle the day-to-day operations of the program which include travel, meals, practice schedules and event coordination. She is believed to be one of the first females hired to such a position at the FBS level - which makes her a unique choice in a male dominated profession.

"I think a lot of people from the outside have a skewed idea of what a football ops person is. It's a person who runs the organization and doesn't have to know the x's and o's… She will really be our voice across campus," Pelini said.

In addition to the hiring of Henderson, Pelini revealed that he is looking to hire an on-campus recruiting coordinator. With Florida being such a talent-rich laden area, Pelini is looking to fill the position with someone who has ties to high school football in the state.

Pelini mentioned that he has already started that interview process and is eager to fill the position as quickly as possible. He said that either a high school head coach or a college assistant coach would make the ideal candidate.

USF recently hired Telly Lockette to an assistant coach position, after he spent five years as the head coach at Miami Central High School. Pelini could make similar hire, with hopes of gaining an edge on the recruiting trail.

Practice Observations

I was able to catch just the tail end of this morning's practice, but still picked up on a few things… QB Melvin German had the play of the day in team drills, pulling the ball on an option-keeper and escaping down the field for 15 yards. In the limited amount of snaps that I witnessed, it was either German or QB Stephen Curtis taking reps. That however, doesn't mean Johnson wasn't in the mix. In the final plays of the session, Johnson threw a perfect ball deep over the middle that was dropped by WR Jenson Stoshak… DB D'Joun Smith hit TE Nexon Dorvilus in the flats and caused a fumble. Smith looked solid in coverage throughout the morning and worked with the first team defense… LB Freedom Whitefield was flagged for a pass interference, which resulted in the entire linebacking corps doing pushups. There is a ton of size and athletic ability in the middle of the defense, but discipline is needed… TE Alex Delon and TE Michael Copeland spent some extra time after practice working with the ball machine. Copeland is still transitioning from linebacker… 2013 signees Austin Bland and Ronnie Scott were both at practice. Bland said he arrived at the Oxley center around 7 a.m. to attend the offensive line positional meeting.
Back to the top

Re: FAU Football Spring Camp April 3: DOF and Practice Tidbits

I get Heather's position because Pelini has mentioned before on the Coach's Show that at Nebraska they had a person for every job so they could just coach but here he had to be coach, nutritionist, advisor, etc and it was too many hats to wear.

But I don't understand this other position:

Andrew said

In addition to the hiring of Henderson, Pelini revealed that he is looking to hire an on-campus recruiting coordinator. With Florida being such a talent-rich laden area, Pelini is looking to fill the position with someone who has ties to high school football in the state.

So this is essentially someone who will coordinate the various high school visits so they know that, say, Allen is supposed to go to this high school on this day and Simms is going to this other high school on this day… that sort of thing? Because I thought we already had a recruiting coordinator who did that… or the coaches just individually set things up.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I get Heather's position because Pelini has mentioned before on the Coach's Show that at Nebraska they had a person for every job so they could just coach but here he had to be coach, nutritionist, advisor, etc and it was too many hats to wear.

But I don't understand this other position:

Andrew said

So this is essentially someone who will coordinate the various high school visits so they know that, say, Allen is supposed to go to this high school on this day and Simms is going to this other high school on this day… that sort of thing? Because I thought we already had a recruiting coordinator who did that… or the coaches just individually set things up.
Hey Owl2Doc,
I think the individual coaches set up the meeting at the schools. From my understanding the recruiting coordinator sets up the meetings for the coaches so they have time to talk to recruits, look at film etc. but i could be wrong.
Back to the top

One of the position coaches is the recruiting coordinator right now, so he's doing two things at once, and it's a nightmare I'm sure.

They're visiting and evaluating 100s of kids at a time, it sounds like an administrative headache. The coaches should be evaluating talent but not have to worry about who's booking their plane ticket to go see a kid.
Back to the top

The on-campus recruiting coordinator will essentially became a 10th coach. He will be in charge of coordinating on and off campus visits, but cannot leave campus and head out on the road. Pelini said he would like someone with football knowledge to hold this title because they would be able to eventuate talent and film, which would take some pressure off the current coaching staff.
Back to the top

Andrew said

The on-campus recruiting coordinator will essentially became a 10th coach. He will be in charge of coordinating on and off campus visits, but cannot leave campus and head out on the road. Pelini said he would like someone with football knowledge to hold this title because they would be able to eventuate talent and film, which would take some pressure off the current coaching staff.

How about some of our former players who are around the area and are looking to get into coaching? Would be a nice way to get some of our alumni back involved with the program

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Andrew said

How about some of our former players who are around the area and are looking to get into coaching? Would be a nice way to get some of our alumni back involved with the program
Holy crap. thats the best idea i heard for the position.
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Andrew said

I think Pelini is looking for someone that is connected to the high school scene or has been involved at a major college program. While a former player would be nice, I'm not sure many are currently in the coaching industry.
Back to the top

Danny Embick?
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Andrew said

nice idea

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top
Control functions: