Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Athletics Names Patrick Baker as Head Women’s Soccer Coach

Add topic

FAU Athletics has announced the hiring of Patrick Baker as its head women’s soccer coach. He was the former head coach at Florida State University, University of Georgia and University of Pennsylvania, and former associate head coach at the University of California-Berkeley.

Baker brings a winning pedigree to FAU as the only women’s soccer coach in NCAA history to take a team to the Division I, II and III postseason tournaments. He was named the 2003 National Coach of the Year by Soccer America, amassed an 80-46-11 record, and had one team advance to the NCAA Division I Final Four. His teams had 18 wins over ranked opponents, including six victories over top 10 teams.

“We are excited to welcome Patrick Baker and his family to Florida Atlantic University,” said Pat Chun, FAU director of athletics. “Patrick is passionate about developing the whole student-athlete. He has made an impact at every place he has coached. Patrick’s track record as a teacher, coach and recruiter is a great fit for our university.”

Baker’s NCAA Division I coaching career started at Pennsylvania in the Ivy League for four years, then six years at Florida State of the Atlantic Coast Conference and five years at Georgia of the Southeastern Conference (SEC).

Five of Baker’s six FSU teams qualified for the NCAA tournament, and the Seminoles made three Sweet 16 appearances and advanced to the 2003 Final Four. He is the only coach in Georgia program history to take three straight teams to the NCAA women’s soccer tournament. His 2007 Bulldogs’ team had the best record in school history (18-4-2) and posted an 8-1-2 mark in SEC play. In 2009, Baker helped guide Georgia to a No. 20 national ranking.

“Florida has a number of very talented collegiate women's soccer programs, and we feel Florida Atlantic University can become one of those programs with a presence nationally,” said Baker. “FAU is located in a prosperous soccer area that has unlimited potential and has developed tremendous talent for many years. Boca Raton and the surrounding areas provide an unbelievable
quality of life for our student-athletes. I am really excited about the task of building another successful women's soccer program.”

The FAU women’s soccer team had a 5-13 record during the 2012 fall season and suffered a 1-0 loss in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference tournament. The Owls are preparing to compete against Conference USA opponents for the first time this fall. The league’s 2013-14 membership will include University of Charlotte, FIU, Louisiana Tech, Marshall University, Middle Tennessee State University, University of North Texas, Old Dominion, Rice University, Southern Mississippi, University of Texas-San Antonio, Tulsa, UAB and UTEP.
Back to the top

Re: FAU Athletics Names Patrick Baker as Head Women’s Soccer Coach

That's quite a resume. FSU, UGA. Anyone know anything about the guy? Was he between gigs? Why did he leave FSU and UGA or is he still at one of them?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Big time hire by FAU for the ladies soccer team - way to go FAU!
Back to the top

I am not too impressed with FSU, UGA.
I am more impressed with UCLA. This is one of the top 10 soccer schools.
I hope he brings someone to coach the men's soccer team in the future because Kos Donev seriously needs to change that defensive style of play.
Back to the top

NîTE said

I am not too impressed with FSU, UGA.
I am more impressed with UCLA. This is one of the top 10 soccer schools.
I hope he brings someone to coach the men's soccer team in the future because Kos Donev seriously needs to change that defensive style of play.

Not UCLA - CAL

Still a good Coach and recruitor, WAY better than our ex-Coach!
Back to the top

FAU Athletics Names Patrick Baker as Head Women’s Soccer Coach

Baker has made two hires…here's SID Dale Long's release:

Experienced collegiate coaches Michael Crane and Matt Muia have named assistant women’s soccer coaches at Florida Atlantic University by Head Women’s Soccer Patrick Baker.

“We are very excited to have Michael and Matt join our women's soccer family at Florida Atlantic University,” said Baker. “They both share my vision of what our women's soccer program will become and the important steps to take in getting to the next level.”
Baker added: “The part of the program that I can influence the quickest is through our coaching staff, and I am very excited about the direction we are heading in. We have three weeks left in the spring season and I know our players will benefit daily by working with these two young coaches.”

Crane comes to FAU after serving as an assistant coach and interim head coach at the University of Cincinnati of the Big East Conference during the 2012 season. He helped coordinate recruiting events and prospect correspondence throughout the country.
Crane began his coaching career at Duke University as an assistant coach and goalkeeper coach. He helped the Blue Devils qualify for the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and NCAA tournaments, and goalkeeper Tara Campbell earned second-team All-ACC and All-ACC Freshman Team, while also participated in the Under-20 Nation Team Camp in 2009.

In 2010, Crane was an assistant coach at Clemson University, leading the Tigers’ national recruiting and evaluation efforts. He is familiar with FAU after serving as an assistant coach at the University of South Alabama of the Sun Belt Conference in 2011. That season the Jaguars had a seven-win increase, the program’s best record (12-5-3) in 10 years and the highest finish in the previous five conference seasons.

“Michael has been at a number of great institutions and has learned numerous things from his stops along the way,” said Baker. “He is a highly respected goalkeeper trainer and we look forward to his expertise in that area.”
Crane has been the director of the SoccerPlus Goalkeeper School in Hartford, Connecticut, since 2006. He provides technical, tactical and physical development of goalkeepers.

As a goalkeeper, Crane helped lead the University of Indianapolis to two NCAA Division II tournament appearances and tied the school record for most shutouts in a season. He then moved onto the University of Akron, which won Mid-American Conference regular season and tournament championships in 2005. Crane was also a member of the Elite 8 team at Akron in 2005.

“I am very excited about the opportunity to join Coach Baker and assist in the next chapter of the Florida Atlantic University women’s soccer program,” said Crane. “The opportunity at FAU for competitive excellence and student-athlete development is tremendous, and I look forward to contributing to both of these areas. It is an honor to be joining the FAU athletic department and Coach Baker’s staff.”
Meanwhile, Muia spent three seasons as an assistant coach at North Georgia College and State, where he played collegiately. He worked with Baker, who served as associate head coach at the University of California-Berkeley in 2012.

“Matt has given up a number of things to join our staff as the volunteer coach and I am grateful for his commitment,” said Baker. “He wants to make coaching his profession and has done a tremendous job these past four weeks with the team.”

Muia has worked summer camps at the University of Georgia, Duke University and Santa Clara University.

“Being on the staff at Florida Atlantic University with Coach Baker is a great honor,” said Muia. “I am eagerly looking forward to the impact and success we bring to the FAU women's soccer program.”

Back to the top
Control functions: