Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Professor Saved Woman From Drowning… 49 Years Ago

Add topic

The voice mail, left a few weeks ago, was from a woman named Edie Rothstein.
Dr. Larry Brickman didn't recognize the name.

"Are you the pre-med student who worked at the beach club in Lido Beach, Long Island, back in 1964?" she asked. "I wonder if you're the same man who saved my life?"

Then, he knew. Blue eyes, yellow bathing suit: Almost half a century ago, she nearly drowned before he pushed air back into her lungs.

Brickman teaches surgery at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, where he moved in 2005 after practicing medicine on Long Island for 30 years, including a stint as head of general surgery at Huntington Hospital.

Full Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: FAU Professor Saved Woman From Drowning… 49 Years Ago

Finally, an instructor at FAU gets some good press.  "Come to FAU, where the professors save lives"

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

Finally, an instructor at FAU gets some good press.  "Come to FAU, where the professors save lives"

FAU does a lot of great things and often gets very little recognition for it outside of their own press releases. It's really unfortunate.

As Saunders mentioned recently, our fair university recently received a perfect re-accreditation score, "a feat only accomplished by 2% of universities nationwide." That's certainly something to be very proud of and it slipped under everybody's radar.
Back to the top

FAU Professor Saved Woman From Drowning… 49 Years Ago

I totally agree doc, but like you said, no one hears about that stuff……well except us. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: