Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Gulfstream turbine energy project update

Add topic

Not sure if anyone else has followed this but I've been trying to.  The federal agencies should soon be releasing part of their Environmental Impact Statement for this project, which will determine any potential effects to marine life, as well as ball park any possible mitigation requirements.  Mitigation and the required "minimization and avoidance" of impacts can make a break a project like this, hopefully they still get the green light for this.  I work with a lot of the environmental agencies at the federal, state, and local levels, but we don't really work on projects large enough to require specific reviews from NOAA, and the EPA.  That's a whole other ball game.

FAU ocean energy project expects permit assessment soon - South Florida Business Journal

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Re: Gulfstream turbine energy project update

Unless these things are going to slaughter HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of animals then there should be no issue.  Hell, if S. Florida (and the world to a degree) can get a green energy source like this going then I say it might even be worth it even with those kinds of numbers.

People > Animals

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Gulfstream turbine energy project update

owlfamily said

Unless these things are going to slaughter HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of animals then there should be no issue.  Hell, if S. Florida (and the world to a degree) can get a green energy source like this going then I say it might even be worth it even with those kinds of numbers.

People > Animals

A green energy source is not really considered green if it displaces the local animal species that inhabit the project location. To be green is to create sustainable design that (more) positively affect the environment, the stakeholders, and the locals (both humans & animals) while lowering the carbon footprint.

For example, it is better to take a brownfield site (a site whose soil has been deemed hazardous or contaminated) and clean the soil to build a new sustainable building than to take a farm far away from suburban areas and building a sustainable building on it.
Back to the top

pikepanther said

A green energy source is not really considered green if it displaces the local animal species that inhabit the project location. To be green is to create sustainable design that (more) positively affect the environment, the stakeholders, and the locals (both humans & animals) while lowering the carbon footprint.

For example, it is better to take a brownfield site (a site whose soil has been deemed hazardous or contaminated) and clean the soil to build a new sustainable building than to take a farm far away from suburban areas and building a sustainable building on it.

Perhaps my use of the word "green" was incorrect. I should of said "alternative" energy.

I guess my slant is that if the best spot for these generators happens to be in a zone where large number of , oh lets say Sea Cucumbers, habitate and that it will damage that enviroment for them, I say go ahead. The disruption (even so far as extinction) to one species of marine life does would be well worth lowering the dependancy on Fossil Fuels IMO.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I think the key is to find a way to make this project work while creating minimal impacts to the local environment.  In reading the applicant's environmental assessment it sounds like they have done their homework and selected an area away from any significant habitats.  While the loss of a couple sea cucumbers will not be the end of the world, a pod of dead dolphins washing up on Ft. Lauderdale beach would be a PR nightmare. (Not that it would happen with this project).  Since this is an experimental and temporary project the agencies usually have specific permits designed which may make the permit process a little quicker.

I hope that this ends up working as I think the gulfstream could be a viable energy source provided that we find an efficient and non-intrusive way to harness it.

Pike,

You sound like you must be in the engineering/consulting field?

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

Pike,

You sound like you must be in the engineering/consulting field?

Yup. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and a LEED Green Associate. I will be following this project closely. It looks great.
Back to the top
Control functions: