Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF, Penn State working on deal to open 2014 season in Ireland

Add topic

UCF and Penn State are working on a deal to open the 2014 football season in Dublin, Ireland, UCF officials with knowledge of the talks have confirmed to Bright House Sports Network.

Details, including the Knights and Nittany Lions moving around their already-scheduled opponents, still have to be ironed out before things become official.

"We don't have an agreement with Penn State so I am not able to comment," David Hansen, UCF's Sr. Associate AD for Internal Operations, said in an email. "We will certainly release a statement once/if we get there with PSU."

The two schools scheduled a home-and-home series in January, with the Knights set to visit Happy Valley on Sept. 14. Penn State was scheduled to make the trip to Orlando in 2014, with a date yet to be determined. That UCF "home game" may now be played in Dublin. The potential revenue loss for UCF from losing that home game is also a concern.

Full Story

Because nothing says Irish like Penn State and the University of Central Florida!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: UCF, Penn State working on deal to open 2014 season in Ireland

I would think that given the political leanings over there that they may have some issues with Penn State?
Back to the top

Rick said

I would think that given the political leanings over there that they may have some issues with Penn State?

I'm guessing they are ok with it and it's not a big deal since the people involved won't be on the trip? I don't know

Back to the top

Right, which is exactly why everyone continues to roll FAU under the bus…because it's not about the institution, its about the individuals.

;)

Thinking they could go with a much safer school risk wise…….
Back to the top

UCF, Penn State working on deal to open 2014 season in Ireland

Rick said

Right, which is exactly why everyone continues to roll FAU under the bus…because it's not about the institution, its about the individuals.

;)

Thinking they could go with a much safer school risk wise…….

Haha! Well said

Back to the top

Whats the plus side for UCF if they play in Ireland?  Sure, it'll probably be on TV and you'll gain a few one time viewers, but I would think the revenue from a sold out home game would exceed that, right?  Plus it sets a precedent of having big programs come to your stadium to play.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I didn't understand this idea at all until I read, "Penn State is serving a four-year bowl ban, and has expressed interest in giving its student athletes a "bowl" game experience."

In a sense, an inventive way to give a middle finger to the NCAA.
Back to the top

@Owl2doc….A huge middle finger. "A Bowl Experience"? No. They are missing the point of the ban. The NCAA may step in on this one.
Back to the top

Sounds like a huge potential loss for UCF with the travel expenses for a TV appearance (can Penn St. be on TV with the sanctions?) when the game would sell out at UCF AND still be on TV I would think (again, IF Penn St. is allowed). And how many UCF fans can travel to Ireland for a game, especially the students? Does NOBODY at the top of collegiate athletics think of the paying fans anymore?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Does NOBODY at the top of collegiate athletics think of the paying fans anymore?

Short answer is no, but its not just collegiate athletics, look at the Marlins debacle.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: