Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Required Donation for Parking for 2013-2014 Season

Add topic

Just got this bit of information when I asked about what donation level is needed to continue in the lot I've previously parked in for $50 the past two years (FAU Blvd & N University).

"The minimum donation required to the Owl Scholarship Fund to be able to park in the lot you’re referring to would be $500. The spot would be reserved for you for all 5 home football games. An increased amount in donation would move your parking spot closer to the front of the lot. A $5,000 donation would also earn a name plate spot at the front of the lot. We will be coming out with a brochure in the next month with further detail on the parking for next year."

When did we become an SEC school?

TO DARE IS TO DO
Back to the top

Re: Required Donation for Parking for 2013-2014 Season

Yeah,

I used to have Silver lot as well, but no way was I doing that. I actually had to downgrade my tickets this year due to financial concerns.

In its defense, we want ALL of these nice things for FAU Athletics, but they cost money. If this is one of the ways they feel they can do that then go for it.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Completely agree on the nice things, but
  • [li]You need to know your market [/li]
    [li]Maybe think of increasing to $75 this year then to $100 next year, because we all know they're going to up it another $50 next year[/li]
    [li]You have to have a market to sell to but if you price out your entire market then you're left with an empty lot and $0.[/li]

That is, unless I missed all those people filling up the red seats on the tower side.

TO DARE IS TO DO
Back to the top

I was told that they came out with the current brochure showing the two old silver lots as now requiring the donation BUT they don't know (and I don't believe) if they will need both lots so one of them will most likely be made a silver lot come start of season.  They wanted to start this way just in case they did need both lots they didn't want to have to move people later.

I am going to give to the scholarship fund in one way or another but I agree this is too much too soon for most fans.  As said above you have to know your market and a believe they are starting a little too high which turns people off.  Start lower, get people interested and hooked and slowly increase prices but what do I know I have only been in sales for 25 years.  ;)

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Start lower, get people interested and hooked and slowly increase prices but what do I know I have only been in sales for 25 years.  ;)

I think they should raise the price even more. It's obviously too low considering how many spaces there are open on game days.
Back to the top

NameitforHoward said

Completely agree on the nice things, but
  • [li]You need to know your market [/li]
    [li]Maybe think of increasing to $75 this year then to $100 next year, because we all know they're going to up it another $50 next year[/li]
    [li]You have to have a market to sell to but if you price out your entire market then you're left with an empty lot and $0.[/li]

That is, unless I missed all those people filling up the red seats on the tower side.

I love it! Great comment! And I liked the SEC line too! C'mon FAU we are a BABY program don't kill the baby by pricing it WAY TO HIGH. Remember we only improved to 3-9 last year NOT 9-3!
Back to the top

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where this money actually goes? Scholarships? Or is it contributed to a slush fund, "to areas of greatest need?"

Because I don't think it's to offset stadium debt. Last year the BOT approved an increase in athletics fees to pay for the debt service on the stadium; in the presentation to the board, for 2012-2013:

"The Athletics Local Budget totals $22,969,903 in projected expenditures, an increase of 25.9 percent over the prior year. The significant increase in expenditures in 2012-13 is due largely to inclusion of the second year stadium operation with total of $5,413,850 in expenses, including $2,620,085 budgeted for debt service payments on the stadium."

"Funding is generated from student athletics fees ($17.27 per-credit hour, which is a five percent increase from 2011-12) as well as ticket sales to athletics events, game guarantees, NCAA distributions, sponsorships and private support."

So if I'm reading this right, it sounds like last year's increase in Athletics Fees covers the debt service on the stadium. If that's the case, attendance/game guarantees/naming rights/parking are all nice but not required to make budget, so they really don't have to put the cart before the horse and price people out of their interest in Athletics before the demand is there, right?
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where this money actually goes? Scholarships? Or is it contributed to a slush fund, "to areas of greatest need?"

Because I don't think it's to offset stadium debt. Last year the BOT approved an increase in athletics fees to pay for the debt service on the stadium; in the presentation to the board, for 2012-2013:

"The Athletics Local Budget totals $22,969,903 in projected expenditures, an increase of 25.9 percent over the prior year. The significant increase in expenditures in 2012-13 is due largely to inclusion of the second year stadium operation with total of $5,413,850 in expenses, including $2,620,085 budgeted for debt service payments on the stadium."

"Funding is generated from student athletics fees ($17.27 per-credit hour, which is a five percent increase from 2011-12) as well as ticket sales to athletics events, game guarantees, NCAA distributions, sponsorships and private support."

So if I'm reading this right, it sounds like last year's increase in Athletics Fees covers the debt service on the stadium. If that's the case, attendance/game guarantees/naming rights/parking are all nice but not required to make budget, so they really don't have to put the cart before the horse and price people out of their interest in Athletics before the demand is there, right?

Good catch.

but still its kind of like a hotel.  They can charge whatever they want for a room but if nobody stays there they make $0. 
Back to the top

Required Donation for Parking for 2013-2014 Season

What if we have already donated more than 5k....
Back to the top

I hope youve kept your checkbook nearby! If those donations were to the Owl Club then they have been forgotten, youre starting from scratch like many others
Back to the top
Control functions: