Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA working on new bowl game in Boca Raton

Add topic

Per Jeremy Fowler at CBSSports.com:

"Conference USA is on the ground floor of a start-up bowl in Boca Raton, according to sources, with one source saying the league 'likes the chances of it happening'."

FAU Stadium, where new league member FAU plays football, is considered the primary option for the bowl site, according to a source, while a bowl name and a conference playing partner have not yet been determined.

Back to the top

Re: C-USA working on new bowl game in Boca Raton

Awesome.  This would be big for FAU and the stadium.  The naming rights would immediately become that much more valuable.

I think a problem with many current bowls is that they are played in places that people just won't travel to.  Why are there bowls in Detroit and Boise?  That is why attendance sucks at many of them.  Who in their right mind is going to use vacation time to travel to cold weather cities in the dead of winter?  Heck, who wants to go to a bowl in Shreveport, LA or Mobile, AL for that matter? 
Back to the top

This would be awesome for us - especially if we're playing in it someday!
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Awesome.  This would be big for FAU and the stadium.  The naming rights would immediately become that much more valuable.

Then I better get on raising those funds to name the field after Coach Schnellenberger.

TO DARE IS TO DO
Back to the top

The naming rights to the stadium could also be the namesake of the bowl. Chick-fil-a could be back in the picture here as they sponsor some big bowls. Sponsoring this bowl (and our stadium) would end up being chimp change to them & be a huge advertisement for them.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I could see the Boca community fighting this to be honest.

They want to hold on to the illusion of thier sleep lil town.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

You don't think they'd want two football teams and thousands of fans coming and spending money in Boca for a week?  Not to mention a 3 hour, free advertisement on national TV for the city?  I'd think they'd be all for this game.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

You don't think they'd want two football teams and thousands of fans coming and spending money in Boca for a week?  Not to mention a 3 hour, free advertisement on national TV for the city?  I'd think they'd be all for this game.

I think the business and the politicians would be all for it, UNTIL….

That VERY vocal minority of elderly folks who came to Boca would pressure thier representatives and bitch and moan. Since they have unlimited time on their side they can fill the editorials of the PBP and SS, and show up in force to every meeting about it.

I would love to see it, but it will be a fight.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

fauowls44 said

I think the business and the politicians would be all for it, UNTIL….

That VERY vocal minority of elderly folks who came to Boca would pressure thier representatives and bitch and moan. Since they have unlimited time on their side they can fill the editorials of the PBP and SS, and show up in force to every meeting about it.

I would love to see it, but it will be a fight.

I doubt anyone will fight this enough to stop it from happening.  FAU's agreement with the city allows for events like a bowl game.  It's good for the school and the city.  Sure, some people may complain, but people complain about just about anything.  If the bowl becomes a reality, I don't think a few angry people would stop it.  This will be seen by most any sane person as a win for Boca.  No politician wants to be the person known as someone who prevented business and tourism dollars from coming into their city. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

owlfamily said

Yeah, this could be a reputation changer for Boca. Television portrays Boca as completely geriatric. It may have started with Seinfeld but it is an on going joke on TV with shows like Leno and others. I've watched Leno make numerous geriatric jokes about Boca. Most of the country probably doesn't know Boca Raton has a large university and a few other colleges.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: