Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Baseball Lands in Chapel Hill Regional

Add topic

1. North Carolina 52-8 (ACC Auto)
4. Canisius 40-15 (MAAC Auto)
2. Florida Atlantic 39-20 (SBC Auto)
3. Towson 29-28 (CAA Auto)

The Florida Atlantic baseball team had a May to remember. The Owl’s won 11-straight games and clinched the program’s first ever Sun Belt Conference Baseball Tournament title with a 16-8 romp of Louisiana-Lafayette.

The reward?

A berth into the NCAA Baseball Tournament and a trip to the Chapel Hill Regional, where the Owls will be paired with North Carolina, Towson and Canisius.

“We got our work cut out for us,” head coach John McCormack said moments after he got word of the Owl’s destination.

FAU was selected by the tournament's committee as a 2-seed with an RPI of 26, but was also placed with North Carolina –– the nation’s heavyweight in college baseball. The Tar Heels are the top overall seed in the tournament and posses an impressive 52-8 record.

“If we’re going to make this thing work, we might as well take on the big dog right away,” McCormack said. “That’s a great program, but we got to worry about Towson on Friday before we start to think about North Carolina.”

While the opportunity to play the Tar Heels looms in the distance, the Owls will face a surging Towson team on Friday. The Tigers won four straight games to claim the Colonial Conference’s automatic bid, and make the tournament.

“They are a very offensive club. They had a great tournament run in the Colonial, so they are coming in hot,” McCormack said.

Towson also has a unique story, and something to play for. The university cut funding to the baseball program at the start of the season, which jeopardized the future of the team. Players protested the decision by placing black tape on their jerseysto cover up the school's logo.

FAU’s closer Hugh Adams is a native of Maryland, and somewhat familiar with Towson.

“They are about 45 minutes from my house. I don’t know much about this team, but I saw them when I was in high school,” Adams said.

Adams was essential to FAU’s winning performance at the conference tournament, as he picked up two saves and was named to the all-tournament team. He is one of the few veterans on the squad who was around the last time the Owls made a regional two years ago, and understands the format.

“I think we got out pitching set up the right way, and I think we have a great shot,” Adams said.

Florida Atlantic will play Towson on Friday at 1 p.m. with the winner set to play the victor of North Carolina and Canisius on Saturday. The regional will utilize a double-elimination format, which means the Owls will be guaranteed at least two games. All contests will be broadcast live by ESPN or ESPN3.
Back to the top

Re: FAU Baseball Lands in Chapel Hill Regional

26th Rpi wow we got fucked that would be like having a 5th seed play the number overall seed in basketball. Wow and we thought college football had problems.
Back to the top

I mean, hey, if we get to Omaha, at least UNC won't be waiting.

Otherwise, this is pretty ridiculous draw for us…….
Back to the top

Yeah cause after beating UNC we'd have to face either USC or Clemson BEFORE getting to Omaha…if we make it that far they should just give us the title!
Back to the top

Pitch well and you can beat anybody...

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I bet our new marketing director and AD Chun are defintley trying to find sponsors to get the baseball team the money to get them major renovations on the stadium, besides finding a new partner for the football stadium. lol.
Back to the top

Congrats on winning the conference tournament! You guys had a great season. Best of luck in Regionals!!
Back to the top

pikepanther said

Congrats on winning the conference tournament! You guys had a great season. Best of luck in Regionals!!

Ah a nice normal post from a rival.  Thank you.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

pikepanther said

Ah a nice normal post from a rival.  Thank you.

I respect Pike…he is a stand up poster….other kitties I've seen on this board…not so much

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

FAU Baseball Lands in Chapel Hill Regional

Is the team getting a send off from the University before they head up to my old stopping grounds in NC? lol.
Back to the top
Control functions: