Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

AUDIO: Carl Pelini on College Football Playbook

Florida Atlantic head coach Carl Pelini joins Jack Arute and Rick Neuheisel on the College Football Playbook to discuss the progression of the football program…

Back to the top

Re: AUDIO: Carl Pelini on College Football Playbook

AUDIO: Carl Pelini on College Football Playbook

Thanks for posting! I'm not a baseball guy so I'm digging the football interviews!  8)

That said, some of Pelini's claims about our campus are… grossly inaccurate. But I'm sure he's not intentionally lying to these kids; I think someone just hasn't given him the proper information yet and I wish they would.
Back to the top

@Owl2Doc…What you just said is  exactly why FAU puts baseball last. I know you are a fan and prefer football, but it will be years before our football team gets to the level our baseball team has already achieved. I want football to get better and support them, but the general feeling about baseball is, yea they are good, but we like football. Our baseball team is so far ahead of our other programs that it doesn't compare . Yet it gets little  support from the school, fans, and bloggers. Nothing against you, because you are the norm, but I wish people would support the team more. ULL had over 2500 fans at the last game. We are lucky to draw 250. That is horrible. Again, nothing against you. I just am a believer in rewarding the teams, and employees that perform and are successful. FAU is focused on football and basketball and both have a lot of ground to make up. At the same time ,baseball can not be neglected.
Back to the top

Local said

@Owl2Doc…What you just said is  exactly why FAU puts baseball last. I know you are a fan and prefer football, but it will be years before our football team gets to the level our baseball team has already achieved. I want football to get better and support them, but the general feeling about baseball is, yea they are good, but we like football. Our baseball team is so far ahead of our other programs that it doesn't compare . Yet it gets little  support from the school, fans, and bloggers. Nothing against you, because you are the norm, but I wish people would support the team more. ULL had over 2500 fans at the last game. We are lucky to draw 250. That is horrible. Again, nothing against you. I just am a believer in rewarding the teams, and employees that perform and are successful. FAU is focused on football and basketball and both have a lot of ground to make up. At the same time ,baseball can not be neglected.

Well to me, now that MLB has run minor league baseball out of S. Florida with the crappy Marlins organization, FAU needs to market our baseball team like it is S. Florida's minor league team. Tha games themselves are comparable, actually maybe a little better in the emotional side due to the nature of College sports. Keep the ticket prices cheap for the locals to come to games, REALLY encourage the students to turn out A LOT MORE, and BUILD A FREAKING RESTROOM FACILITY NOW!
There is NO WAY a decent team should ever draw less than 1,000 to me!
Back to the top

I think your right Local, it is unfortunate that baseball is the red headed stepchild of the school, especially when they are by far the most successful of the "big 3" sports.  Much like doc, I honestly couldn't care less about baseball, but I do try to follow FAU in the post season, not because I'm interested, but I want to see my school be great at "something". (Besides angering the public).  If I was closer, I would try to attend some games, but thats just not possible.  Maybe I can get some brownie points for attending a Rays game or two though.  In any case good luck to the FAU Baseball team in the tournament.

Whats the gist of Pelini's interview? I'm at work and can't listen to it till later. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Local said

Well to me, now that MLB has run minor league baseball out of S. Florida with the crappy Marlins organization, FAU needs to market our baseball team like it is S. Florida's minor league team.

The Marlins have not killed minor league baseball in South Florida…South Florida has no interest in minor league sports.  Major League sports have a hard enough time drawing well.  There is a long history of failed minor league teams in all sports down here…why would we aim to be one?

I don't think there is any amount of marketing that FAU can do to make FAU baseball a big draw in South Florida.  There just isn't the demand for it.  What FAU needs to do is get a lot of students out to the games in addition to the few die-hard FAU baseball fans.  They can market to little leagues and groups like that for weekend games, but really the ceiling for the program (attendance-wise) is limited.  That said, facility upgrades are absolutely necessary.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Local said

Well to me, now that MLB has run minor league baseball out of S. Florida with the crappy Marlins organization, FAU needs to market our baseball team like it is S. Florida's minor league team.

The Marlins have not killed minor league baseball in South Florida…South Florida has no interest in minor league sports.  Major League sports have a hard enough time drawing well.  There is a long history of failed minor league teams in all sports down here…why would we aim to be one?

I don't think there is any amount of marketing that FAU can do to make FAU baseball a big draw in South Florida.  There just isn't the demand for it.  What FAU needs to do is get a lot of students out to the games in addition to the few die-hard FAU baseball fans.  They can market to little leagues and groups like that for weekend games, but really the ceiling for the program (attendance-wise) is limited.  That said, facility upgrades are absolutely necessary.

plus a deep tournament run will help.

and for duder the interview, pelini talked about his time there, recruiting, qb battles, OL, and DL. Stuff like that.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Local said

I agree with all the improvements that need to be made but I totally disgree with your comment on minor league baseball in S. Florida.
Before the Marlins came into existance, there were teams in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach and Vero Beach all playing in the single A Florida State league for MANY MANY YEARS! And they all drew (even Pompano in their CRUDDY STADIUM) much better than FAU does now with single A teams, not even AA or AAA!
I am just saying we need to appeal to the traditional baseball crowd and get even a few hundred more a game at first to FAU. That would double our current attendance, now add in only a couple of hundred more in student attendance and it triples current numbers. And after a few years it can grow into 2,000 a game, it can be done if FAU wants to do it.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

fauowls44 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Local said

I agree with all the improvements that need to be made but I totally disgree with your comment on minor league baseball in S. Florida.
Before the Marlins came into existance, there were teams in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach and Vero Beach all playing in the single A Florida State league for MANY MANY YEARS! And they all drew (even Pompano in their CRUDDY STADIUM) much better than FAU does now with single A teams, not even AA or AAA!
I am just saying we need to appeal to the traditional baseball crowd and get even a few hundred more a game at first to FAU. That would double our current attendance, now add in only a couple of hundred more in student attendance and it triples current numbers. And after a few years it can grow into 2,000 a game, it can be done if FAU wants to do it.

About minor league baseball:  You are talking about a completely different era.  The sports landscape 25+ years ago was vastly different in South Florida.  Minor league baseball may have been popular down here once…but so was jai alai and horse racing.  There was 1 professional team in town and 1 major college program.  Now we have all 4 major sports, and 3 D-I college programs.  It's a crowded market and minor league sports have fared very poorly.

As for FAU baseball, I'd love to see them get to 2000 people a game, I just have a hrad time envisioning that ever happening on a consistent basis.  College baseball is such a niche sport.  If they could ever get to 1000/game including students, it would be a success.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

GeorgiaOwl said

fauowls44 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Local said

About minor league baseball:  You are talking about a completely different era.  The sports landscape 25+ years ago was vastly different in South Florida.  Minor league baseball may have been popular down here once…but so was jai alai and horse racing.  There was 1 professional team in town and 1 major college program.  Now we have all 4 major sports, and 3 D-I college programs.  It's a crowded market and minor league sports have fared very poorly.

As for FAU baseball, I'd love to see them get to 2000 people a game, I just have a hrad time envisioning that ever happening on a consistent basis.  College baseball is such a niche sport.  If they could ever get to 1000/game including students, it would be a success.

Good points and yes the times have changes. And yes if we get 1,000 per game attendance that would be nice. But if ULL can get 2,500 so can we someday. And until we do, we will never host a NCAA regional no matter how good the team may be.
Back to the top
Control functions: