Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pacers Center Roy Hibbert Faces Hefty Fine for Homosexual Slur . . .

Add topic

A hefty fine awaits Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert after he used a homosexual slur during a post-game interview . . .

Pacers center Roy Hibbert faces hefty fine for homosexual slur | GantDaily.com
Back to the top

Re: Pacers Center Roy Hibbert Faces Hefty Fine for Homosexual Slur . . .

$75k
Back to the top

From what I remember hearing what he said wasn't that bad, but the NBA is really strict on that stuff
Back to the top

It was not a bad comment and until it was pointed out, most people probably would have gone right past it since it was almost mumbled.  He also called the reports MFers, but apparently thats OK.  Kids aren't sitting there watching the interviews, let the guys speak or don't bother interviewing them. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Pacers Center Roy Hibbert Faces Hefty Fine for Homosexual Slur . . .

duder said

It was not a bad comment and until it was pointed out, most people probably would have gone right past it since it was almost mumbled.  He also called the reports MFers, but apparently thats OK.  Kids aren't sitting there watching the interviews, let the guys speak or don't bother interviewing them.

Since when is cursing on live television OK?  It wasn't an interview at his locker, it was on the podium at a press conference that was being shown on NBAtv and ESPN.  Certainly a fine-able offense.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Since when is cursing on live television OK?

Maybe not on ABC, NBC, and CBS, but it's not policed nearly like it used to be…people get away with all kinds of profanity - especially on the cable channels.
Back to the top

I think the biggest issue for the fine was because he used profanities directed at the media, not because he was on TV. 
Back to the top

fauowl said

I think the biggest issue for the fine was because he used profanities directed at the media, not because he was on TV.
Not sure, I know Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson have also geotten in trouble for questionably homophobic slurs…Well Kobe's was blatant but Phil mad a reference to the movie "Brokeback Mountain" in comparison with penetration and kickout and was fined heavily for it.  It could also be the profanity but I would assume profanity comes out often at press conferences.
Back to the top

Rick said

fauowls44 said

Since when is cursing on live television OK?

Maybe not on ABC, NBC, and CBS, but it's not policed nearly like it used to be…people get away with all kinds of profanity - especially on the cable channels.

Regardless of the FCC, or what you are allowed to say on cable TV, I'm pretty sure using the term "MFers" on live TV is not the image that the NBA is trying to project.  Sure, he's allowed to say it, but they are well within their right to fine him for it.  Same with the slur. 
Back to the top

"No homo" isn't a homosexual slur. That's ridiculous.
Back to the top
Control functions: