Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Port Aransas, TX Guard Tyler Pate Commits to FAU Basketball

Add topic

Tyler Pate
SG
6-3, 195
Port Aransas, TX

Per his Tweet:

Back to the top

Re: Port Aransas, TX Guard Tyler Pate Commits to FAU Basketball

Back to the top

Port Aransas, TX Guard Tyler Pate Commits to FAU Basketball

Any thoughts Rick? It's really hard to gauge basketball recruiting unless we're talking blue chippers imo
Back to the top

owlmart said

Any thoughts Rick? It's really hard to gauge basketball recruiting unless we're talking blue chippers imo

Wanted to do my homework before responding, and have done so…Pate is definitely a sleeper.

Very athletic player with solid skills and excellent work ethic. GPA of 3.6.

Comes from a very small town (3,500), and has played a number of sports. He has a 94 MPH fastball, and could obviously take advantage of that on the diamond, but enjoys basketball the most. All-State in Basketball 2x, Baseball, and Track.

On the court, he can play positions 1-3, and will focus primarily on the 2. As for shooting ability, Read This, while keeping in mind that he is chucking shots at will at times - not running structured offense.

He runs a 4.6 40, which is the same speed LeBron James runs it at, and has an excellent vertical.

I back-filled his height and weight with current numbers, which is 6-3, 195. He could also easily grow another two inches given his dextral sizing, as he just turned 18.

Bottom line:

Given his natural ability, work ethic, and skills, if he gets two more inches on his muscular frame, which would put him at 6-5, he will give opposing teams a very tough assignment at the 2.

I can't recall FAU ever having a SG at 6-5. The closest thing is Pablo Bertone, and he is not a SG, but rather a SF for the most part who sees some match-up time at the 2 spot.

Just my two cents…….
Back to the top

The real question is where will he play after transferring?  After year under Jarvis
Back to the top

Rick said

owlmart said

Wanted to do my homework before responding, and have done so…Pate is definitely a sleeper.

Very athletic player with solid skills and excellent work ethic. GPA of 3.6.

Comes from a very small town (3,500), and has played a number of sports. He has a 94 MPH fastball, and could obviously take advantage of that on the diamond, but enjoys basketball the most. All-State in Basketball 2x, Baseball, and Track.

On the court, he can play positions 1-3, and will focus primarily on the 2. As for shooting ability, Read This, while keeping in mind that he is chucking shots at will at times - not running structured offense.

He runs a 4.6 40, which is the same speed LeBron James runs it at, and has an excellent vertical.

I back-filled his height and weight with current numbers, which is 6-3, 195. He could also easily grow another two inches given his dextral sizing, as he just turned 18.

Bottom line:

Given his natural ability, work ethic, and skills, if he gets two more inches on his muscular frame, which would put him at 6-5, he will give opposing teams a very tough assignment at the 2.

I can't recall FAU ever having a SG at 6-5. The closest thing is Pablo Bertone, and he is not a SG, but rather a SF for the most part who sees some match-up time at the 2 spot.

Just my two cents…….

Great write up Rick, thanks!

Sounds like a sleeper for sure
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

The real question is where will he play after transferring?  After year under Jarvis

That's freaking funny!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

owlcountry40 said

That's freaking funny!

It actually made me sad.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Considering he has 24 college credits without even being enrolled, pretty safe to say he's not going anywhere.

People can speculate about "this and that" with regards to coaching style and chemistry but if you were to look at transcripts from recent departees, there would be a different story told.

Accordingly, the recruiting strategy has been changed.

Back to the top

Rick said

Considering he has 24 college credits without even being enrolled, pretty safe to say he's not going anywhere.

People can speculate about "this and that" with regards to coaching style and chemistry but if you were to look at transcripts from recent departees, there would be a different story told.

Accordingly, the recruiting strategy has been changed.

What was the recruiting strategy before and what is it now?
Back to the top
Control functions: