Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Will new SG Prez set us back in our progress to become a traditional university?

Add topic

Via the UP:

"When the Board voted on its 2013 Work Plan, an outline of the university’s priorities, Amirato shared his view on the university’s future, which differs from former Student Body President Robert Huffman’s.

“I embrace the fact that FAU is not a traditional university
… I do not wish for us to one day be exactly like UF or FSU,” Amirato said. “I absolutely love the fact that at FAU, we are in the middle of an entire South Florida community, where we can give people the opportunity to better themselves with an education. I don’t aspire to be UF, or FSU, it’s what makes us unique."…
"

Makes me wonder how hard this guy is going to work at proposing or maintaining things like the Rat's Mouth, 24-hour tailgate, etc. You might have taken part in that or, at the very least, you can appreciate their significance. Those were SG initiatives by people who believed in FAU's ability to offer a traditional college experience.
Back to the top

Re: Will new SG Prez set us back in our progress to become a traditional university?

Owl2Doc said

Via the UP:

"When the Board voted on its 2013 Work Plan, an outline of the university’s priorities, Amirato shared his view on the university’s future, which differs from former Student Body President Robert Huffman’s.

“I embrace the fact that FAU is not a traditional university
… I do not wish for us to one day be exactly like UF or FSU,” Amirato said. “I absolutely love the fact that at FAU, we are in the middle of an entire South Florida community, where we can give people the opportunity to better themselves with an education. I don’t aspire to be UF, or FSU, it’s what makes us unique."…
"

Makes me wonder how hard this guy is going to work at proposing or maintaining things like the Rat's Mouth, 24-hour tailgate, etc. You might have taken part in that or, at the very least, you can appreciate their significance. Those were SG initiatives by people who believed in FAU's ability to offer a traditional college experience.

I don't think many of us want FAU to become EXACTLY like UF or FSU, but closer to their model and BCC (oops, er…Broward College). I went to both BCC and FAU and really wished it could have been more of a real or regular or "traditional" College experience rather than going to school, while working part/full time and commuting all the way from Lauderdale every day!
Back to the top

Re: Will new SG Prez set us back in our progress to become a traditional university?

I hear you.  I went to then Palm Beach Community College my first two years but honestly, FAU does offer what all those other schools do socially. You just have to be willing to get involved on campus. Some of the drunkest/best times happened on game days (especially the first game in the new stadium) and it would not have happened had I not met people through student organizations. At the same time, we have to realize that South FL is a unique and vibrant area stretching from wpb to miami so there isn't much room for a "traditional" university like in cities such as tally, g-ville or even east orlando to an extent. I have no doubt that FAU will become a more university type of community in  a few years but there will ALWAYS be a strong commuter presence
Back to the top

I also went to Palm Beach CC/State before transfering to FAU. I served in the military, which you can call a big frat house, but never really experience the college life. I wanted to but with a wife and a five year I just dont have the time to experience it. Maybe that is something that can be changed with the new SG Prez.
Back to the top

Will new SG Prez set us back in our progress to become a traditional university?

I'm sure if you ask nicely the new SG prez might babysit for you.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

I'm sure if you ask nicely the new SG prez might babysit for you.
lol
Back to the top

First off, he's only in office for a year. Secondly, with regards to the commuter/traditional thing…we are comparable with most Universities across the country (that are in metro areas) particuarly when you compare the number of students living on the Boca campus to the total student population on the Boca campus. Our % is very comparable. The whole commuter thing only comes into play because our students living off campus live further away and are less likely to participate in traditional student programming. That's just the nature of our geographic location. The propblem is we need to stop trying to compare ourselves to UF and FSU. We are not going to become a UF or FSU and we should not aspire to be someone else, so as long as we are having that conversation we will always "think" we are lacking in some way and I think that is simply what the SG Prez was trying to communicate. WE ARE FAU…let's embrace our uniqueness!!!

GO OWLS!!!
Back to the top

Here's a thought………Do you think the entire landscape of the college education system is changing?  Maybe the "traditional" university experience is going the way of the dinosaur and VHS tape.  Maybe I was just different, but when I graduated HS (98), I had no desire to fly off to FAU immediately, I knew I was going to CC for two years first to get the crap classes out of the way and get an A.A. before transferring.  I was not a straight A student but did OK and between the two state scholarships (75% + 100%), they were going to pay me to go to CC, it was a no brainer.  If I end up raising kids, I don't know that I necessarily want them spending 5 yrs at a university and racking up a huge debt, just for the "traditional" experience.  Maybe others are beginning to feel this way as well? 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Identity is one thing, logistical infrastructure and tradition is another.

We need to establish our own identity with traditions that are fully baked and entrenched with repetition - not starting something new every year as we are so great at doing.

Additionally, pick a logo and stick with it. It is quite ridiculous that we have had like 10 primary athletics logo in such a short amount of time.
Back to the top

Rick said

Additionally, pick a logo and stick with it. It is quite ridiculous that we have had like 10 primary athletics logo in such a short amount of time.

Funny you should mention that because as of July 1 or August 1 no organization is allowed to use the Owl, FAU, Florida Atlantic University or some form of FAU because of the way the name and logo's were used during the Geo and other protests.

So let's penalize 99 people for 1 idiot.

TO DARE IS TO DO
Back to the top
Control functions: