Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU and the 2013 MLB Draft

Add topic

What:      2013 MLB Draft

When:      Rounds 1-2: Thursday, June 6th @ 7 p.m.
                Rounds 3-10: Friday, June 7th @ 1 p.m.
                Rounds 11-40: Saturday, June 8th @ 1 p.m.

TV:          MLB Network (Thursday)

Live:        MLB.com Draft Tracker

After one of the most eventful weekends in program history at the 2013 Chapel Hill NCCA Regional, FAU baseball will continue their time in the spotlight when the 2013 MLB Draft commences on Thursday night.

A host of Owls could be selected during the three-day event, and a group of players from the 2014 recruiting class have the potential to join them.

Tyler Rocklein (pictured above) looks to hold down the Owls' top interest presently with some prognosticating as high as a 10th round selection. The junior batted .281 in the season with a team high 49 RBI, and tied with Corey Keller for long balls with 10.

Senior RHP Michael Sylvestri is also one of FAU's top prospects according to Baseball America, while fellow senior OF Nathan Pittman follows just behind him. Both of the players (photo below) are ranked inside Baseball America's 2013 State Draft Report, and have the chance to go as early as the 20th round on Saturday.

SS C.J. Chatham, a class of 2014 signee, could be the highest drafted player with FAU ties, as the infielder made some noise at American Heritage-Plantation High School this past season.

FAU had six players drafted last year, with RHP R.J. Alvarez being selected in the 3rd round by the L.A. Angels. The Owls have the chance to surpass the number of selections if C Levi Meyer, RHP Hugh Adams, OF Corey Keller and 1B Mark Nelson are all called or signees such as RHP David McKay or SS Stephen Kerr are drafted.

Back to the top

Re: FAU and the 2013 MLB Draft

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

FAU and the 2013 MLB Draft

Back to the top

Back to the top

Rick said

Tweet: 2013 MLB Draft ends with Sylvestri as the lone Owl selected.

Very strange MLB draft as our guys had a real good year and made a GREAT showing at the NCAA Regional! Congrats to Mike but so sorry to the other seniors!
I guess the good news is next years squad should be pretty damn good again with Taylor returning and so few HS signees being drafted.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Story on Nathan Pittman via Alan Dell at the Bradenton Herald…

The draft came and went, and Pittman never heard his name called.

"I was bummed out because I thought I was going," Pittman says. "They said they had to fit more pitchers in and were trying to work out a free-agent deal. I was a senior and didn't have much leverage, and I didn't have an agent."

Soon after the draft, the 22-year-old got a call from the Windy City ThunderBolts. Located in Crestwood, Ill., about 30 miles outside of Chicago, they play in the independent Frontier League.

Braden River grad Nate Pittman heads to Chicago to keep his baseball dream alive
Back to the top
Control functions: