Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU Gets Post-Season Ban

Add topic

I'd rather have a mediocre team than have this happen to us. Let's have Ray come back to us! lol

Florida International’s postseason ban could provide three impact transfers

Rob Dauster

Jun 12, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Leave a comment
Kevin Ware Tymell Murphy

On Tuesday afternoon, Florida International was one of the six schools that found themselves banned from postseason competition for the 2013-2014 season due to low APR scores.

The Panthers have Isiah Thomas to thank for that one.

And while I say that sarcastically about new head coach Anthony Evans’ program, there could end up being a couple of coaches that truly are thankful that Isiah Thomas took three years out of his life to wreck FIU’s APR scores, one of which is former FIU head coach and current Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino.

You see, the NCAA has a rule that says if the remainder of a player’s eligibility is to be played under a postseason ban, that player will be able to transfer to another program without having to sit out the mandatory one year. It’s the reason that Alex Oriakhi, a UConn transfer, was allowed to play at Missouri for his final collegiate season; UConn had an APR score that was too low. It was also why Keith Clanton became one of the nation’s most sought-after transfers last summer before he eventually decided to finish his career at Central Florida.

Minnesota has already earned a commitment from one former FIU player. Malik Smith committed to the Panthers back in May, and since he has one year of eligibility remaining, he should be immediately eligible for the Gophers.

And he may not be the only one, either. Raheem Buckles, a 6-foot-7 forward that had a promising-but-injury plagued three-year stint at Louisville, sat out the 2012-2013 season and was expected to be a senior on this year’s FIU team. There have been rumors that Buckles could follow Pitino from FIU to Minnesota since Pitino got the job.

There are a couple of other players who could be on the move as well.

- FIU’s leading scorer last season was New York City native Tymell Murphy, a 6-foot-5 wing that averaged 14.6 points and 6.8 boards in his one year with the Panthers. He’s a JuCo transfer and has one year of eligibility remaining. Murphy already obtained a release from FIU to pursue a transfer, taking a long look at Hofstra and Iona before announcing that he would be returning to FIU for his senior year. Might the chance to play immediately make Murphy change his mind?

- Buckles wasn’t the only impact transfer buried on FIU’s bench last season. Raymond Taylor averaged 14.2 points and 5.9 assists at Florida Atlantic as a freshman in 2009-2010, but he saw his production drop over the course of his last two years at FAU. Taylor say out the 2012-2013 season and will be a fifth-year senior heading into next year. He’s 5-foot-6, but he’s a dynamic playmaker when he’s under control.

Rakeem Buckles, Tymell Murphy and Raymond Taylor.

Keep an eye out for those three names over the summer.

You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Back to the top

Re: FIU Gets Post-Season Ban

Tymell has already said he is staying at FIU.

Jerome Frink also staying.

Malik Smith followed Pitino to Minn.

No word on Buckles right now.

Raymond Taylor will also be back.

No word on Dennis Mavin or Cody Mann.

Deric Hill & Juan Ferrales transfered to Barry after not earning a scholarship from the new coaching staff.

Anything else?
Back to the top

FIU Gets Post-Season Ban

Any thing else? Well yea FIU is a banana republic.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Any thing else? Well yea FIU is a banana republic.

I love how someone can shrug off something as serious os this with "anything else ?"  Unbelievable!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

pikepanther said

Taylor declared for the draft…please fill us in on how he can play college ball at this point?
Back to the top

Rick said

pikepanther said

Taylor declared for the draft…please fill us in on how he can play college ball at this point?
I dont know Ray's situation but you can declare for the draft and then back out in basketball
Back to the top

As long as you don't hire an agent. You can come back
Back to the top

owlmart said

I dont know Ray's situation but you can declare for the draft and then back out in basketball

The NBA early-entry withdrawal list came out Tuesday and there was one college player on the list: Florida Atlantic’s Raymond Taylor. This is not a Dee Bost case, when the former Mississippi State guard didn’t know the rules – that he couldn’t return to school once he declared for the draft (he ultimately won an appeal but had to sit out games). FAU assistant coach Mike Jarvis II said Taylor was well aware of the rules and plans on playing in Europe.

FAU's Taylor knew rules

No mention of an agent being part of the rule, we'll see…….
Back to the top

Taylor never hired an agent. He will be back. He practiced with the team last year.

About shrugging off something "as serious" as this… I've known about it for months. I've known we would be sanctioned and banned from post season play. I knew the players knew of this too. I also knew they were being recruited and took visits to other places. Some stayed - some went. Some left because of the sanctions and some left because they didn't get schollies from the new staff.

Honestly, it's not as serious as some of you guys might think. It is what it is. We're not going to scream "bloody murder" over it. It happened. We are facing the consequences. You gotta hope that Anthony Evans can work around these issues as he did at Norfolk State. Not much else you can do.
Back to the top

pikepanther said

Taylor never hired an agent. He will be back. He practiced with the team last year.

About shrugging off something "as serious" as this… I've known about it for months. I've known we would be sanctioned and banned from post season play. I knew the players knew of this too. I also knew they were being recruited and took visits to other places. Some stayed - some went. Some left because of the sanctions and some left because they didn't get schollies from the new staff.

Honestly, it's not as serious as some of you guys might think. It is what it is. We're not going to scream "bloody murder" over it. It happened. We are facing the consequences. You gotta hope that Anthony Evans can work around these issues as he did at Norfolk State. Not much else you can do.

I think it is pretty serious.  This isn't a hit on FIU, as an alum of a similar type of university (whether FIU wants to admit it or not, we are more the same than different) I would be furious with those results.  Winning is nice, but at the level FAU and FIU plays I want to see players graduate.  Actually, at all levels of college sports I would like to see the players graduate.  More players will not be going to the pros than will be and the college presidents and the NCAA has lost its way in trying to influence young athletes lives by not giving a crap about whether they graduate or not.  They spend MILLIONS and MILLIONS on facilities, where they should be spending MILLIONS and MILLIONS on academic support.  And I know this is harsh, schools should bypass the star athlete if they don't think he can make it academically, because when someone unqualified gets a scholarship that means someone who could qualify somewhere down the line doesn't get to goto college.

FAU has some APR issues coming down the road if some things don't change PDQ…I think Chun is going to try avoid this PR nightmare, which I think is 20 times worse than the GEO debacle.
Back to the top
Control functions: