Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Board Approves On campus Housing Rate Increases

Add topic

Ah yes, it is already that time once again. Time to pony up even more to stay "on campus".  It really is becoming expensive…

Here is the Link to Proposal the Board approved yesterday, June 11th.

And here are the various location's bottom line figures, courtesy of the UP:

Algonquin Hall (ALG)

Single Room

$2,966.25

Glades Park Towers (GPT)

Double Room

$2,938.00

Super Double Room

$3,536.90

Single Room

$4,011.50

Heritage Park Towers (HPT)

Double Room

$2,938.00

Super Double Room

$3,536.90

Single Room

$4,011.50

Indian River Towers (IRT)

Double Room

$3,237.45

Single Room

$4,407.00

Innovation Village Apartments North (IVA-N)

Single Room 4-2

$5,006.00

Single Room 2-2

$5,311.00

Innovation Village Apartments South (IVA-S)

Single Room 4-2

$4,689.50

University Village Apartments (UVA)

Double Room

$3,084.90

Single Room

$4,045.40

New Residence Hall  Opening Fall 2013

Double Room

$3,237.45

Single Room

$4,407.00
Back to the top

Re: FAU Board Approves On campus Housing Rate Increases

Housing is getting ridiculously expensive but it's like the any place in Boca. You're not going to find a 1 BR apartment for less than 800 a month and then you'll have to pay electric, cable and internet and pay for gas for driving. Living on campus would essentially work out to be $1100 month depending on which res. hall you live in. The cheapest way to live in Boca is to find a roommate and rent. I feel like our prices are comparable to other state schools and they are probably nicer as well.

Back to the top

Iva is 10 k a year lol I can get a three bedroom house in boca and keep two bedrooms to myself for that price.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Iva is 10 k a year lol I can get a three bedroom house in boca and keep two bedrooms to myself for that price.

Where and what type of home are you going get a 3 bedroom home in Boca for less than $850 month?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I've gotten up in arms about this too. On-campus housing is very expensive and is projected to increase 3% every year. FAU already know this will happen for the next, I dunno, 3 to 5 years? It's not going to change unless the occupancy rates drop sharply.

Fact is, these are new buildings with new amenities. These command a higher rent and will get them. I think most college kids want to pay $250-300/month, so maybe $1500 for the entire semester? And you might get that, off-campus, in a 20-30 year old building. You will never pay that little on-campus, especially when FAU owes a debt on these newer buildings. That's the catch-22 of opening a new dorm on campus: you bring in more people, yes, but everyone's rent goes up.

There are older properties off-campus and obviously the more people you can live with, the cheaper your rent will be.  I know some guys paying $500/person to rent a three bedroom and they think that's very reasonable. The key was (and always has been) to meet people on-campus in freshman year and then move out off-campus.

The problem is that we don't have enough properties to inspire much of a competition for more reasonable rents. If you're a Boca landlord sitting on a conveniently located piece of property close to campus and you know that everybody around you is getting nearly $800+/person for rent, why would you want to short-change yourself and only charge $300-400/person? That's their mentality. The only reason they'd do it differently is that they're so old/desperate to rent that they don't care or maybe they think you're "nice kids" and they remember how tough it was living on a college budget.

But the Addison Parks of the world certainly aren't going to make you that deal… especially when college kids party, allow several people who aren't on the lease to crash there indefinitely, damage property, etc. A lot of landlords see college kids as animals and charge a lot so you either respect the property more or at least they have the funds to clean up after you when you don't respect the property.

It's why a lot of student housing places put up banners saying, "We love our graduate students!" They figure by the time you're 25ish that you've calmed down and have some respect for property.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

owlcountry40 said

Where and what type of home are you going get a 3 bedroom home in Boca for less than $850 month?
 so 10k for 8months in IVA is like 1200 a month rent I have rented house in boca all through college I have always paid from 550 to 650 and I do t have an RA
Back to the top

FAU Board Approves On campus Housing Rate Increases

Owl2Doc said

But the Addison Parks of the world certainly aren't going to make you that deal… especially when college kids party, allow several people who aren't on the lease to crash there indefinitely, damage property, etc. A lot of landlords see college kids as animals and charge a lot so you either respect the property more or at least they have the funds to clean up after you when you don't respect the property.

Isn't the joke that Addison Park has a gate to cage in all the residents inside the community?
Back to the top

Andrew said

Isn't the joke that Addison Park has a gate to cage in all the residents inside the community?

Haha I haven't heard that but I wouldn't be surprised.

The neighbors initially had some problems with them but I guess Addison Park made some changes and it's been relatively smooth sailing ever since. And "satisfied neighbors" is half the battle right there.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

dusky256fc said

owlcountry40 said

so 10k for 8months in IVA is like 1200 a month rent I have rented house in boca all through college I have always paid from 550 to 650 and I do t have an RA

With multiple roommates and a crappy house.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: