Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Interesting twist: UCF taking a page from FAU's book

Add topic

Interesting twist: UCF taking a page from FAU's book

Sound familiar? From various sources:

"UCF is in the process of an engineering study to see if it can build an open-air “tiki bar” on the east side of Bright House Network Stadium,"

along the 50-yard line that's effectively

“Creating an open-air club and taking on the Florida personality is something I really want to do. So when that side of stadium is on TV, you see palm trees and fans,it’s an open-air concept, so you know you’re at UCF,  that you’re in Bright House and in the middle of Florida.”

"The lounge and bar area would accommodate around 1,000 fans so they can mill about comfortably, eat and drink as they please and still catch the game from a great vantage point."

None of the articles claim any relation to FAU - they say the inspiration came from Oregon State - but it's nice to see that we're ahead of the game in some ways. Wonder if UCF will stop by and see how it's done.
Back to the top

Re: Interesting twist: UCF taking a page from FAU's book

Here's another pair of shots of the area open…

On a side note:

The (unmentioned) notion that they did not get any of the theme "ideas" from our stadium seems laughable….

Regardless, considering the fact that we have tapped them for knowledge and input on their former stadium project, it's only fair that they should be able to do the same.
Back to the top

or its just blatant copying of us. lol.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

We actually copied UCF's stadium for our own…

and then we made improvements where it made sense.  Example, the camera stands at UCF are built into the stadium structure, so when the crowd jumps up and down, the TV cameras shake and you can see that on TV.  That was not a good thing so the camera stands in our stadium were built using their own foundation so they do not contact the stadium structure and preventing the same issue.  Our stadiums are very similar structurally, however ours is more pleasing to the eye with the attention to detail that we incorporated. 
Back to the top

fauowl said

USMCOWL said

and then we made improvements where it made sense.  Example, the camera stands at UCF are built into the stadium structure, so when the crowd jumps up and down, the TV cameras shake and you can see that on TV.  That was not a good thing so the camera stands in our stadium were built using their own foundation so they do not contact the stadium structure and preventing the same issue.  Our stadiums are very similar structurally, however ours is more pleasing to the eye with the attention to detail that we incorporated.

+1

The only criticism I have of our stadium is…when it rains it is like a rainforest waterfall under the stands!  Be nice to have them install a water collection system in future after the new academic center, weight room, basketball arena (convocation center) baseball stadium and track facilitiy….dreams.
Back to the top

fauowl said

USMCOWL said

Am I the only one that loves when the screen shakes? Maybe it's all those old NCAA Football games but it makes the moment seem that much more epic.
Back to the top

You may be the only one. I didn't buy my HDTV with a mass capasitor and under coating to see a shakey game.
Back to the top

Local said

You may be the only one. I didn't buy my HDTV with a mass capasitor and under coating to see a shakey game.

Obviously not all the time. But in those moments after a big touchdown seeing some vibration is kind of cool.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Yeah, well, I know this is something that was talked about after this picture came out…

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

…but, as was explained, this was a rendering provided by the same company and punched up in 5 minutes as part of a sales pitch. The final product, as we all know, looks like this…

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

So we actually didn't copy UCF. As it stands right now:

We both built a steel stadium with a normal media/club structure.
They have a complete bowl, we have more of a horseshoe.
They have steel bleacher seats, we have colored chairbacks that spell out FAU.
They have a normal jumbotron screen, we have one with LED palm trees and the school logo on it.
They want to build an open air bar, we already have one.
Their capacity is 45,323. Ours is 29,419.
etc
etc

So I really don't see a strong argument for us copying their stadium when it came down to the final design. I'm biased but I like ours better - all the little touches like the "beach" surrounding Howard's statue and even the climbing plants growing up the steel mesh by the entrance.
Back to the top

Anyone that doesn't agree that we have a much nicer stadium is kidding themselves.

I do agree with what one of our ticket sales guys said, he thought the "Tiki Bar" should be in the end zone from a pure revenue standpoint.  You are always going to sell the premium 50 yard line seats but now you can sell premium seats in the end zone as well.  I am glad we didn't go that route for purely selfish reasons but it does make sense.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: