Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Picked 6th in East in C-USA Preseason Poll; LB Andrae Kirk All Conference

Florida Atlantic University junior linebacker Andrae Kirk (pictured above against ULL) has been named to the preseason All-Conference USA First Team, the league office announced on Wednesday.

Kirk, a junior from Miami, appeared in all 12 games last season, with seven starts. He had eight games of five or more tackles, including seven each against Alabama and Georgia and a career high 11 in the Owls’ season finale against Louisiana-Lafayette.  He also totaled three pass breakups, forced a fumble and recovered a fumble.

As a team, the Owls were picked to finish 6th in the East Division. FAU went 3-9 last season as a member of the Sun Belt. East Carolina was picked to win the East, taking 11 of the 14 first place votes. They were followed by Marshall (two first place votes), Middle Tennessee (one first place vote) and UAB. Southern Miss, FAU and FIU rounded out the order in the East.

In the West, Tulsa was the unanimous pick to win the division, followed by Rice, Louisiana Tech, UTEP, North Texas, Tulane and UTSA:

EAST DIVISION Pts

1. East Carolina (11) 95
2. Marshall (2) 82
3. Middle Tennessee (1) 70
4. UAB 54
5. Southern Miss 40
6. Florida Atlantic 28
7. FIU 23

WEST DIVISION Pts

1. Tulsa (14) 98
2. Rice 76
3. Louisiana Tech 72
4. UTEP 46
5. North Texas 39
6. Tulane 31
7. UTSA 30

Offensive Player of the Year
Rakeem Cato, Jr., QB, Marshall

Defensive Player of the Year
Phillip Gaines, Sr., DB, Rice

Special Teams Player of the Year
Cairo Santos, Sr., K, Tulane

First Team Offense
QB Rakeem Cato, Jr., Marshall
RB Vintavious Cooper, Sr., East Carolina
RB Darrin Reaves, Jr., UAB
OL Jake Alexander, Jr., Tulsa
OL Stetson Burnett, Sr., Tulsa
OL Scott Inskeep, Jr., UTSA
OL Nate Richards, Sr., Rice
OL Matt Shepperd, Jr., Louisiana Tech
OL Will Simmons, Sr., East Carolina
WR Justin Hardy, Jr., East Carolina
WR Ryan Grant, Sr., Tulane
WR Tommy Shuler, Jr., Marshall
TE Gator Hoskins, Sr., Marshall

First Team Defense
DL Christian Covington, So., Rice
DL Justin Ellis, Sr., Louisiana Tech
DL Greg Hickman, Sr., FIU
DL Rakeem Nunez-Roches, DL, Southern Miss
LB Shawn Jackson, Sr., Tulsa
LB Derrell Johnson, Sr., East Carolina
LB Andre Kirk, Jr., Florida Atlantic
DB Kevin Byard, So., Middle Tennessee
DB Lorenzo Doss, So., Tulane
DB Phillip Gaines, Sr., Rice
DB Marco Nelson, Sr., Tulsa
First Team Special Teams
K Cairo Santos, Sr., Tulane
P Tyler Williams, So., Marshall
KR Reggie Whatley, Jr., Middle Tennessee
PR Trey Watts, Sr., Tulsa
Back to the top

Re: Owls Picked 6th in East in C-USA Preseason Poll East; LB Kirk All Conference

I could easily see us 4th in the East and maybe even 3rd if we get a few lucky bounces. Finish 7th or higher would be a solid accomplishment this year but I think we could still do better than that if our offense is good.
Back to the top

Re: Owls Picked 6th in East in C-USA Preseason Poll; LB Andrae Kirk All Conference

I think they are basing their opinion on last season, and what we have this year. no stable qb and the fact that most of the teams in CUSA haven't played us before so they area making guesses thats all.
Back to the top

Re: Owls Picked 6th in East in C-USA Preseason Poll; LB Andrae Kirk All Conference

Owls Picked 6th in East in C-USA Preseason Poll; LB Andrae Kirk All Conference

We have won 4 games in 2 years.  I wouldn't expect to get any more respect from coaches who probably spent 16 seconds of research for a preseason vote that means nothing.  I for one, love to be on the low end of any preseason vote.  If they voted us #1, it doesn't make us any better, it just puts a bulls eye on you.  Hopefully the opposing players think this means something and they take the day off when they play us.
Back to the top

fauowl said

We have won 4 games in 2 years.  I wouldn't expect to get any more respect from coaches who probably spent 16 seconds of research for a preseason vote that means nothing.  I for one, love to be on the low end of any preseason vote.  If they voted us #1, it doesn't make us any better, it just puts a bulls eye on you.  Hopefully the opposing players think this means something and they take the day off when they play us.

Completely agree, until we do something on the field there is no reason to be ranked any higher, possibly even below (having a hard time typing it) the kitties based on the last two years.

That said I do believe they might be in for a surprise.  If the O line somewhat  comes together and the QB position is resolved, the defense should handle their side we could surprise a few teams this year.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

fauowl said

Completely agree, until we do something on the field there is no reason to be ranked any higher, possibly even below (having a hard time typing it) the kitties based on the last two years.

That said I do believe they might be in for a surprise.  If the O line somewhat  comes together and the QB position is resolved, the defense should handle their side we could surprise a few teams this year.

I am hoping for 4 to 6 wins…I know that 4 wins won't satisfy many people, but Pelini only has 2 recruiting classes and we are going to be starting another NEW quarterback this season (not even bring up the offensive line).  I do think, by the end of the season, if we stay healthy, no one will want to be playing us.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

fauowl said

We really need the O to put up 30-40 pts. a game to compete in CUSA, the conference has seldom had any (nationally) strong D's. Turn 'em loose Coaches!
Back to the top

In seasons past, we did better than the preseason predictions. We can look forward to doing it again this year.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

We've won 4 games in 2 seasons…holy cow that's terrible.
Back to the top

Extactly Illnosiowl. I think they predicted last season 1 or no wins for us, and we won 3. But before we go all doom and gloom on team this season remember, it could be a game or two before they really gel together.
Back to the top
Control functions: