Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

This would not be a good thing for the Owls...

Up for consideration at the 2013 NCAA Convention:

Among the changes up for discussion would be the formation of a so-called "super division" that would allow athletic departments with high-revenue football programs to make some of their own rules and implement things like athlete stipends. Many of those initiatives have been blocked by lower-revenue programs, which make up the majority of the NCAA.

ACC's Swofford sees significant changes coming to NCAA
Back to the top

Re: This would not be a good thing for the Owls...

This has been in the long term plan for 10 years now. But this is what happen when you let everyone and anyone go from FCS to FBS.
Back to the top

I see a HUGE anti-trust lawsuit if they did that….I like how they say "high revenue".  Revenue is meaningless if you are not breaking even or profitable.  As we all know their are only a hand full of athletic programs that are profitable.  The system is broke.
Back to the top

Tim said

I see a HUGE anti-trust lawsuit if they did that….I like how they say "high revenue".  Revenue is meaningless if you are not breaking even or profitable.  As we all know their are only a hand full of athletic programs that are profitable.  The system is broke.

This move could also backfire. From a financial perspective, allocating a budget for stipends for athletes will hurt the revenue stream. In order to offset the loss of revenue, higher contract demands from networks will ensue. Depending on the economic environment, this may be an issue for the network outlets.
Back to the top

It would be the death of college football as we know it.  Letting the Nick Sabans of the world dictate the rules of college football woud be disaster!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

It would be the death of college football as we know it.  Letting the Nick Sabans of the world dictate the rules of college football woud be disaster!
 You are right it would be terrible for college football. But let me play devils advocate here yea us and a school like Bama are both FCS but are we really in the same league …no and we are Not even that bad we are a school with a beautiful new stadium  football stadium in a beautiful area with tons of
Potential. Look at schools like Eastern Michigan who get like 2k a
game and other Mac schools or ULM who have have been small for 100 years an they are what they are. In the end to many schools cheaping FCS. Is this unfair and stupid yea but I can
Not blame them.
Back to the top

This would not be a good thing for the Owls...

Rick said

Among the changes up for discussion would be the formation of a so-called "super division" that would allow athletic departments with high-revenue football programs to make some of their own rules and implement things like athlete stipends.

Didn't someone already try this?  Oh yeah, it's called the NFL.
Back to the top

GOOD ONE ! Are they trying to the gap between the haves and the have nots.
Back to the top

Terrible idea for programs such as ours, but great if your UF or bama.  If the super schools want their own conference, ok, but then they are not allowed to play any more "cupcake" games, only conference games.  (I do realize that would suck for us as we gladly accept the money for those beatdowns).

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I imagine Title IX will get in the way of this.  The only way they could get around that is with wealthy alums flat out paying kids.  The SEC has so many collegiate sports there is no way that football and basketball could fund every student athlete.
Back to the top
Control functions: