Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Gameday Traditions

Does anybody remember the cruise ship horn used after TD's in 2011? Whatever happened to that?
Also, will actually have an owl fly down with the football team before every home game? I know we tried that last year, but the owl wasn't trained yet.
Last but not least, does anybody remember the cannon going off last season? I remember it in 2011, but I can't recall if it was used or even brought out this past season.
I hope these 3 things are fixed so we can continue to build upon our current traditions at FAU, will trying to establish new ones.
Back to the top

Re: Gameday Traditions

I was a a huge fan of the cruise ship horn and was disappointed when I did not hear it last year.  The cannon was cool, but a lot of schools do that so to me it wasn't that big of a deal.  It would be cool to have the owl fly down to the field, but I know that takes a lot of training and work, probably more than our budget can handle.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I remember them using a owl sound last season for TDs.

GO OWLS!!!
Back to the top

I like the cruise ship horn myself but it was not really loud enough IMHO.

I would like it to be sounded 30 minutes before kickoff, and then 15 minutes before kickoff to GET PEOPLE INSIDE. I know they love thier tailgates, but I'm REALLY tired of not having people in the stand in time for kickoff.

After every TD is fine too, but like I said it needs to be LOUD.

Whatever happened to putting Lei's on Owsley and Howard? I thought we were going to start draping the statues with the cheap plastic Lei's

Blue for Students
White for Alumni
Red fo Fans

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

I would like it to be sounded 30 minutes before kickoff, and then 15 minutes before kickoff to GET PEOPLE INSIDE. I know they love thier tailgates, but I'm REALLY tired of not having people in the stand in time for kickoff.

Whatever happened to putting Lei's on Owsley and Howard? I thought we were going to start draping the statues with the cheap plastic Lei's

Blue for Students
White for Alumni
Red fo Fans

ALL are great ideas hope they get 'em done. Can we not get Carnival or another of the MANY cruise ship lines in S. Florida to get behind this and sponsor it (or the stadium?)
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Blue for Students
White for Alumni
Red fo Fans

Don't worry, we have some plans up our sleeve.

I would love for the cannon to go off right after the ball crosses the goal line during a TD. then a horn shortly after (and the 30 mins & 15 mins before the game), followed by the owl hoot. Then the band can play the fight song after the extra point. Then while waiting for the kickoff, some modern, electric based music to get the student section to continue to rock.
I also think we need to improve our team entrance. What happened to the helmet? I know it's old, but will we ever get a new one, or are we going to use that banner that we used last season? If we use the banner, could we add some smoke so it doesn't look so high school? And could we play some music that will actually get the crowd and players excited before they take the field. Something like Seven Nation Army? Last but not least, I don't remember the cheerleaders using many flags with the team entrance. Why not use the large red "spread owl" flag, followed by the "F" "A" "U" flags, the Owlsley with an American flag, and then the team coming out from the smoking banner. All of that combined before the owl lands on the field would make for one awesome entrance.

If I ran FAU athletics, everything would be so much cooler…… LOL
Back to the top

Gameday Traditions

HootinHollerin said

I also think we need to improve our team entrance. What happened to the helmet? I know it's old, but will we ever get a new one, or are we going to use that banner that we used last season? If we use the banner, could we add some smoke so it doesn't look so high school? And could we play some music that will actually get the crowd and players excited before they take the field. Something like Seven Nation Army? Last but not least, I don't remember the cheerleaders using many flags with the team entrance. Why not use the large red "spread owl" flag, followed by the "F" "A" "U" flags, the Owlsley with an American flag, and then the team coming out from the smoking banner. All of that combined before the owl lands on the field would make for one awesome entrance.

If I ran FAU athletics, everything would be so much cooler…… LOL

Good question about the helmet. Ask FAU Athletics on Twitter and see what they say. I'm sure it's something about "waiting on a new one" but ask them anyway.

I don't see why we can't use a bunch of flags especially if we already own them. My crew drags their ass getting into the stadium from tailgating so I usually miss the entrance. This season I think I'm just going to go in myself and they can join me.

But I agree that we need to spruce it up. Basketball wasn't doing the dark/spotlight entrances either. Presentation is important, especially when we're trying to get the public to return to games in the future…. every little bit helps.
Back to the top

Hootin I do like your ideas and some of them can easily be done but things like a new helmet consist of time and money, something FAU has very little of. Also, we don't have a F/T school president. Not sure if the president needs to sign off on things like that but my guess is they are going to hold off on spending until they can figure some things out.

But, they do have some items at their disposal. Even if it's not a banner, it doesn't cost them anything to play some music to get the team and the crowd pumped up and ready for a game. All it takes is leadership and organization. Someone to step up and say ok here's what I think we should do. Lets talk to coach and bounce this idea for music off of him.

I like the idea of the Cannon going off before game time. Maybe 2 cannon shots as a 5 minute warning. This way people know to start breaking down their tailgates and start heading inside. I know it's crazy that we have to do that but hey, whatever works to get butts in the seats at kick off

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Hootin I do like your ideas and some of them can easily be done but things like a new helmet consist of time and money, something FAU has very little of. Also, we don't have a F/T school president. Not sure if the president needs to sign off on things like that but my guess is they are going to hold off on spending until they can figure some things out.

But, they do have some items at their disposal. Even if it's not a banner, it doesn't cost them anything to play some music to get the team and the crowd pumped up and ready for a game. All it takes is leadership and organization. Someone to step up and say ok here's what I think we should do. Lets talk to coach and bounce this idea for music off of him.

I like the idea of the Cannon going off before game time. Maybe 2 cannon shots as a 5 minute warning. This way people know to start breaking down their tailgates and start heading inside. I know it's crazy that we have to do that but hey, whatever works to get butts in the seats at kick off

5 minutes isnt long enough I'm afraid. Lots of people have very elaborate setups that could take a while. Thats why I like the 30 and 15 mintue warning. Get peoples attention.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

by the way, fau athletics had a idea going. they posted it on twitter and facebook where you can find songs for football and basketball games, and build a playlist and share it with the department. i did it and find it very cool.
Back to the top
Control functions: