Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Fall 34-6 at Miami

Owls Fall 34-6 at Miami

Owls Fall 34-6 at Miami

Carl Pelini preached it all week in practice.

If FAU wanted to compete with Miami, they were going to have to limit the big play.…

Read more

Big plays went both ways in this one. Miami made big plays and FAU had chances, but couldn't make the big plays. A couple of dropped balls come to mind.

Overall, the offense looked fast and they were fun to watch even if productivity wasn't great. I think there is real potential here and the offense should be competitive in CUSA.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I think we have some room for improvement on the offense but we should be competitive in the conference.  Our d is strong and I think they will continue to get better.  

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

My observations from UM game.  Miami has some serious talent.  I was unhappy that FAU had many chances and we didn't take advantage of our opportunity on National TV.  Many dropped balls and many mistakes, never the less, we have to remember that this is the first game.  

I was very happy with how disciplined FAU was and how little we were penalized.  I think that we are improved at QB, but we need to settle on a starter and not do the switch back and forth.  We are improved in the kicking game, especially punting.  We have the potential to put up big yards and big points this year.

Now let's learn from our mistakes and kick some serious butt next week at EAST CAROLINA!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

We should be able to compete in CUSA. I don't think Miami was expecting FAU to be able to drive the ball on them. Aside from Duke Johnson the D looked good. We need to convert more in the red zone. Less FG and more TDs. I was impressed with the D, not so much the offense but Hankerson is a true freshman and he should be under center. He gives us a better chance to win. I saw German had a couple of catches. Versus C-USA talent it will be a lot different, if he can catch a pass and shed a tackle, with his speed he may be able to take it to the house.

The more important part of our season starts on Thursday. Definitely interested to see how they stack up against ECU. Even if we lose that game, still a lot of football left. Hopefully we can figure out our offense soon. We owe USF some payback!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Too bad we didnt get this guy….had himself quite a game last night…
View topic: Anyone remember Baker Mayfield??? - Owl's Nest
Back to the top

OwlBroker said

Too bad we didnt get this guy….had himself quite a game last night…

View topic: Anyone remember Baker Mayfield??? - Owl's Nest

Posted On: Aug 31st 2013, 1:35 PM #316334

He didn't wan to come here obviously…chose to walk on at a much bigger program - who is losing to Rice right now.

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Rice looks great!  Impressive QB.
Back to the top

Not going to say anything people aren't already saying but for what it's worth…

DEFENSE

I was impressed by the D. We heard about it in the preseason and I think that we did a much better job there than most Miami fans were expecting. For the most part we were never too far from the ball or caught by surprise until the second half.

I didn't expect us to get many sacks but we got one and it was (no surprise) Cory Henry, so I'd call that a good night for him.

IIRC we gave up two big plays back to back that really put the game out of reach for us. Once we're down 3 TDs, it's hard to crawl back from that, especially when we're putting up zero TDs, which leads me to…

OFFENSE

…was basically non-existent except for a couple good QB runs. I previously mentioned being concerned that we couldn't score more than one TD in both preseason scrimmages and that came through again tonight. Pelini has to put more focus on developing his QBs or that's going to be the reason he gets dismissed from FAU. We're not going to win any games only kicking field goals and failing to convert after that interception really showed how impotent we were. To be fair though, if we hadn't gotten the false start I'm pretty sure we could have punched that one in.

I like Greg Hankerson, I liked his mobility. Reminded me a little bit of (UCF's) Jeff Godfrey. Johnson was okay but he definitely got better in the second half. Overall we put up some pretty paltry numbers and I don't think it was all because Miami is that good defensively (with all due respect to Miami).

Would have liked to see a series with German as QB. Not that he was bad at WR, just that we weren't really moving the ball much anyway, so why not? Speaking of WRs, really surprised by Stoshak and that big drop by Willie Dukes. That would have been huge for our momentum.

I was watching the UCF vs Akron game and the commentator talked about using quick passes for small gains to help your QBs build confidence. Guess that's standard practice and that seems to be what we did here. Don't think the constant rotation did much of anything nor did keeping our local coverage in the dark. What did that get us?

OVERALL

To be fair, I think even with our best FAU team in history we'd still be talking about a score of Miami 34, FAU 21. Bodybag games are bodybag games. But that's what I was really looking for last night, particularly going into the second half… at least another 10 points if not 14. I guess that's probably asking a lot from new QBs and I get that.

Several sources have called us "the worst team in college football." Offensively we're probably going to be there for a little while. Does anybody think we can score >17 points vs ECU next week? They're not Miami, I know, but they're not slouches either. I would be surprised if we could manage more than 17 points. On the plus side, even 17 points would be a strong step in the right direction.

Last but not least, irritated that the 4th down spike is blowing up on the internet. That's the kind of thing that makes our school look incompetent on a national level. And as a fan, as an alum, I obviously don't want that.

We get into an offensive rhythm and this team is going places. And we will…. only question is if it takes three games or six. I'm hoping the trial by fire of UM-ECU-USF will get us into that rhythm by the home opener. School spirit is high right now and we want to keep that train rollin'
Back to the top
Control functions: