Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rusty Smith released by Tennessee Titans

Add topic

Rusty Smith released by Tennessee Titans, per Jim Wyatt:

Back to the top

Never really given a fair shake there. The one game he got to start was the infamous game where the whole team quit. I have confidence that he'll catch on somewhere else.
Back to the top

Owlsfan4 said

I have confidence that he'll catch on somewhere else.
Posted On: Aug 31st 2013, 1:17 PM #316327

Hope you are right!
Back to the top

Owlsfan4 said

Never really given a fair shake there. The one game he got to start was the infamous game where the whole team quit. I have confidence that he'll catch on somewhere else.

I totally agree, and with all the qb issues with MANY NFL teams he will be picked up and maybe even get to play elsewhere!
Back to the top

Owlsfan4 said

Never really given a fair shake there. The one game he got to start was the infamous game where the whole team quit.

I agree with your first statement.

I loved Rusty Smith as QB at FAU. I've met him on several occasions and he's a great guy. I give him all that and I was super happy when he got drafted.

I just don't know if he'll ever catch on in the NFL. I want him to… but I don't know if he will. Really hope I'm wrong about that.

Back to the top

As an Owls and Titans fan, I watched virtually every snap he's ever taken in the NFL (both in real action and pre-season). I thought this was his best pre-season yet. I can't say that he's ever going to be a starter in the NFL, but I think he can be a #2. I would still like to see him get another crack. They call him "The Rifle" because he lives and dies with the bomb throw. He may need to work more on the short game.
Back to the top

Jim Wyatt reports Rusty will sign with the Titan's practice squad…

Back to the top

I'm not too familiar with how things work in the NFL… is this how the Titans keep him around without officially having him count towards their roster? He takes a (big?) pay cut but isn't lost forever should they need to tap him again in the near future?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Owlsfan4 said

Never really given a fair shake there. The one game he got to start was the infamous game where the whole team quit.

I agree with your first statement.

I loved Rusty Smith as QB at FAU. I've met him on several occasions and he's a great guy. I give him all that and I was super happy when he got drafted.

I just don't know if he'll ever catch on in the NFL. I want him to… but I don't know if he will. Really hope I'm wrong about that.

Posted On: Aug 31st 2013, 2:34 PM #316348

Agreed, my unbiased unprofessional opinion is that he's probably not good enough to have a long NFL career…nothing wrong with that
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I'm not too familiar with how things work in the NFL… is this how the Titans keep him around without officially having him count towards their roster? He takes a (big?) pay cut but isn't lost forever should they need to tap him again in the near future?

Posted On: Sep 1st 2013, 11:40 PM #316441

If I understand how the practice squad works, he's basically paid by the week to practice with the team.  He's not on the 53 man roster, but the Titans (or any other team) can sign him to the active roster when needed.  I'm sure it's a pay cut and it's not as good as being on the roster, but it's better than being an unemployed free agent right now.   
Back to the top
Control functions: