Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Why does everyone feel the need to dispespect our school?

Johnny Manziel, FCS upsets among best and worst of NCAA football Week 1 - The Washington Post

Two scores that should be discussed: North Dakota State 24, Kansas State 21, and Eastern Washington 49, No. 25 Oregon State 46. It isn’t just that a Football Championship Series team beat a Football Bowl Series team in these two games, it is that two good FBS teams lost. K-State is the defending Big 12 champion and was ranked No. 1 in the nation at one point last season; Oregon State was 9-4. Maybe they aren’t as good this year but it isn’t as if they woke up this summer and morphed into Florida International and Florida Atlantic.
Back to the top

I was discussing the weekend's football results with some Gator friends of mine over lunch. They knew we had won the bowl games back in 07/08 but that was so long ago that it "didn't count anymore."

I explained that we're in rebuilding more and the other friend mentioned, "you guys seem to be perpetually in rebuilding mode." Not antagonistically, just very matter-of-factly.

You really see the thickness of our rose-colored glasses when we think we deserve to be considered a "good" mid-major team despite articles pointing out that not only was our last bowl game five seasons ago now but we've only had four winning seasons total in our entire 12 years of existence. When we've got disappointing seasons 2/3rds of the time, when the majority of our televised games show us getting blown out, when all our statistics show us near the bottom in categories like total yards allowed, we don't have much of an argument other than, "hey, that hurts our feelings."

Our record is two good seasons back-to-back. During that time we get a couple, "did you see who finally fielded a decent team this year?" remarks from the likes of ESPN but it won't be until we string together about 5-10 good seasons back-to-back that we'll start building a reputation as a "good" mid-major team.

It seems like a pipe dream right now but if we could get a solid 10 years - even if we end up 5-7 for one or two of those seasons - I think we'll have "arrived" as a solid mid-major team and really rally the kind of support from the Boca community that we keep talking about.
Back to the top

It will be like this until someone on the football staff decides to try win instead of playing not to get blown out. The little fan base that FAU has continually year in and year out make excuses why they get blown out. "Our QB doesn't have experience." We said that for two years with Wilbert and now it's the same. However, other schools can start a QB that's never throw a pass in college football and throw for over 300 yds in his first game. Some threw for 400. To draw fans you need a exciting brand of football meaning FAU has to score some touchdowns!
Back to the top

We are 4-24 in our last 28 games…

So yeah, we are going to have to earn back respect and fans.  We were the worst team in college football 2 years ago.  It takes more than a season to come back from that.  
Back to the top

I think we just answered the question.
Back to the top

305owl said

It will be like this until someone on the football staff decides to try win instead of playing not to get blown out. The little fan base that FAU has continually year in and year out make excuses why they get blown out. "Our QB doesn't have experience." We said that for two years with Wilbert and now it's the same. However, other schools can start a QB that's never throw a pass in college football and throw for over 300 yds in his first game. Some threw for 400. To draw fans you need a exciting brand of football meaning FAU has to score some touchdowns!
Posted On: Sep 3rd 2013, 10:03 PM #316508

Very true comment!

Up here in Georgia, several people commented on how we were not bad against UM …BUT…

How we did not seem prepared to WIN, just not to get hurt and get blown out!

Very true comments from them IMHO and the ONLY thing I can offer is that we were  as Coach said, VERY VANILLA on O hoping to not show our hand to ECU (a CUSA Coinference game) that matters mnuch more.

I hope that is true but we have heard that many times before INCLUDING last year.

If we want to excite the S. Florida community (and put butts in the stadium seats!) we had better provide a better more exciting brand of game! EVERY GAME!
Back to the top

Back to the top

Then we had better start tryng to WIN our games, ALL OF EM… not just survive and treat it like a pre-season game or try-outs!

Yes there are FAR WORSE TEAMS than ours but we HAVE developed a reputation and the only thing that will change that is preformance on the field, by both the players AND THE COACHES!
Back to the top

NCowl said

And then there is this….
Willie Taggart's USF bus makes stop in Bottom 10 - ESPN
Posted On: Sep 4th 2013, 8:33 AM #316521

Oh no, check out number 3…it's the F_U thing again!

:Scared:

"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures": Here's how Carl and Ron's not-so-excellent adventures went in Week 1: FAU lost 34-6 at Miami and FIU lost 43-10 at Maryland. FAU coach Carl Pelini called for his quarterback to spike the ball on fourth down; FIU allowed 399 yards in the first half of coach Ron Turner's debut.
Back to the top

Rick, I saw that too.

Related to this discussion, it is a hard to claim that we have been rebuilding since 2008. The truth is, the program took a nose dive and we are desperately trying to pull ourselves out of a deep hole. If we go 5-7 this year, we have made a respectable start back up the ladder. Back to back winning seasons will mark a return to success.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: