Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Extremely disappointed after first two games

It's difficult to express how disappointing my hometown team is this season.

First the positive: The team (especially defense) hits hard, doesn't quit and is fast.

The defense can be tough, especially with its back against the wall (common occurrence) and has shown some promise. Keith Reaser looks good at CB. But how good is your defense when it gives up 31.5 points per game?!

Mitch Anderson was very good, until going into a funk late tonight and missing two FGs. But when you're bragging about your placekicker and punter (who has played well), your team is in deep trouble.

The bad (and there is plenty): This team has no decent quarterback. How did Carl Pelini let this happen after two years? He has three athletes/RBs playing QB and only Greg Hankerson seems to have any sense of being a true QB and having some ability to throw - when he's not running for his life.

How did Pelini not know MGIII was going to mentally implode after two seasons on the team? Where is German and his athletic receiver ability? Was he in on any play tonight?

The offense is pitiful - even worse than what we saw early last season.

What I saw of Stephen Curtis last year was not any worse than what we I see now at QB for FAU. At least he could throw. With Johnson in the game the opposing team's defense should just bring nine every play. He can't hit the side of a barn, and when he (and Hankerson) came close, the receivers dropped the ball.

Where is William Dukes, and when he is thrown to, why are his hands made of stone? (I know, he made some late catches tonight and partially redeemed himself.) Why are Dukes and Jenson Stoshak (owner of the only two big offensive plays of night for FAU) not on the field every play?

Why does FAU possess the most boring and predictable offense on the planet, running up the middle, following with a QB run or two, then passing for one yard? Why try these lays again and again when the O line is built like a sieve.

Why did it take FAU until the fourth quarter to run some downfield passes, slants, deep sideline balls?

Do Pelini's assistants know they're in I-A football now?

This program is so far below the standard I hoped to see two years into the Pelini era.

These last two weeks have been painful to witness. Where's the accountability for the lack of skill position talent on the field, and horrendous play calling?
Back to the top

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^
Back to the top

I feel like we are pretty close to being pretty good team, but the QB position is holding everything back.  Look at the stats from yesterday.  The turnovers killed us (and the KO return).  Otherwise, we played ECU just about evenly.

Time to stick with Hankerson and build on the TD drive.  Johnson is a good Wildcat QB, but needs to be used in a limited role.  With him in the game, the entire defense just plays in the box.  It makes moving the ball very difficult.  Hankerson will make some mistakes, but we'll be better off for it over the next 4 years.

It's tough to say I'm "extremely disappointed" after 2 games when one was against a very good Miami team and the other against the favorite in the CUSA on the road on a short week.  Sadly, being 0-2 was sort of where I expected to be.  That said, this defense is 100x better than it was last year.  That is where you are seeing Pelini's biggest mark so far.  The offense will take time and will go as far as Hankerson can take them.  
Back to the top

Where is William Dukes, and when he is thrown to, why are his hands made of stone? (I know, he made some late catches tonight and partially redeemed himself.) Why are Dukes and Jenson Stoshak (owner of the only two big offensive plays of night for FAU) not on the field every play?

Totally agree with you here…Get a QB…rolling out with option to pass or run..Get Dukes and Stoshak on the field..All the time..QB in the pocket is not going to work…They look and tuck and run..
Back to the top

bmarkey said

It's difficult to express how disappointing my hometown team is this season.

First the positive: The team (especially defense) hits hard, doesn't quit and is fast.

The defense can be tough, especially with its back against the wall (common occurrence) and has shown some promise. Keith Reaser looks good at CB. But how good is your defense when it gives up 31.5 points per game?!

Mitch Anderson was very good, until going into a funk late tonight and missing two FGs. But when you're bragging about your placekicker and punter (who has played well), your team is in deep trouble.

The bad (and there is plenty): This team has no decent quarterback. How did Carl Pelini let this happen after two years? He has three athletes/RBs playing QB and only Greg Hankerson seems to have any sense of being a true QB and having some ability to throw - when he's not running for his life.

How did Pelini not know MGIII was going to mentally implode after two seasons on the team? Where is German and his athletic receiver ability? Was he in on any play tonight?

The offense is pitiful - even worse than what we saw early last season.

What I saw of Stephen Curtis last year was not any worse than what we I see now at QB for FAU. At least he could throw. With Johnson in the game the opposing team's defense should just bring nine every play. He can't hit the side of a barn, and when he (and Hankerson) came close, the receivers dropped the ball.

Why does FAU possess the most boring and predictable offense on the planet, running up the middle, following with a QB run or two, then passing for one yard? Why try these lays again and again when the O line is built like a sieve.

Why did it take FAU until the fourth quarter to run some downfield passes, slants, deep sideline balls?

Do Pelini's assistants know they're in I-A football now?

This program is so far below the standard I hoped to see two years into the Pelini era.

These last two weeks have been painful to witness. Where's the accountability for the lack of skill position talent on the field, and horrendous play calling?
Posted On: Sep 6th 2013, 12:26 AM #316886

+1

bmarkey, I totally agree.

I thought we would be competitive in CUSA this season. After watching the game last night, I stand to be corrected. The offense is TERRIBLE…TERRIBLE…TERRIBLE.

I've been a season ticket holder for some years now. For the money and continued support, I think it's time to PROTEST and DEMAND better. Ok, I admit my patience is wearing thin. I'm just tired of consistent disappointment year after year. I CAN'T TAKE IT NO MORE…lol…All I ask for is a competitive football team on the field whether that results in a win or loss. I just want us to look like we belong in Division I football.
Back to the top

I am embarrassed to go into my office. On national television I told everyone I k we to tune in. Just to see the worst offense in college football. So much talk about the previous coaching staff, I hope someone is held accountable. In two years this staff has not found a QB…… Playing two QB's was a hint that they can not make good decisions. Our #1 QB from spring and Fall practice didn't play at all while we watched this team throw for 64 yards in a half. Wright hand picked Quez Johnson. What was he looking at??
Back to the top

Time to protest?  Hold people accountable?  Really??  Some of you guys need to get a grip and accept reality.  This team needs all the support it can get.  The time to protest or "hold people accountable" would be if the team wasn't working hard or trying to improve.  That is not what is happening here.  What I have seen is a young team that is improving (especially on defense), but the results just aren't there yet.  You do realize that we were basically starting from scratch last season, right?  This was never going to be a quick fix.  Anyone who thought that it was is crazy.

Give it some time, we are headed in the right direction.  These first 2 games were not a real good test for this team.  Miami is really good and facing ECU on the road, on a short week no less, is not a good indication of how the rest of this season will go.  At some point in the near future, the results will start to match the effort and you'll be sorry you decided to jump ship so soon.  
Back to the top

The offense is just bad.

I like Johnson's ability to run. He is TOUGH. However, he tucks and scrambles as soon as the D-line comes off the ball. I think he could be a weapon as a power RB. Where was he when it was 1st and goal in the 4th and we were throwing the ball to gain two yards and a TD? Put him in there in a power I and let him bull his way in for two. They need get a goalline package together with him at RB. Throwing with a short field is no way to play in first and goal situations.

Hankerson is the future tossing the ball. He is just so fragile looking and he cannot afford to take big hits. He is 175lbs soaking wet.

The receivers need to step up and make the catch when they get two hands on the ball. Sure, many balls were not placed perfectly, but I counted at least five drops where the WRs had two hands on the ball. The late TD should not have even been a catch. He was bobbling it the whole way even though he had two hands on it. That was a gift by the ref.

I like the defense. Pharms is a monster and the D-line was getting pressure even though it is undersized. A good defense needs to be supported by the offense and until that happens, this is going to be a long season.

I thought preseason that this team would be between 5-7 and 7-5. I am now thinking 3-9 is more realistic.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Time to protest?  Hold people accountable?  Really??  Some of you guys need to get a grip and accept reality.  This team needs all the support it can get.  The time to protest or "hold people accountable" would be if the team wasn't working hard or trying to improve.  That is not what is happening here.  What I have seen is a young team that is improving (especially on defense), but the results just aren't there yet.  You do realize that we were basically starting from scratch last season, right?  This was never going to be a quick fix.  Anyone who thought that it was is crazy.

Give it some time, we are headed in the right direction.  These first 2 games were not a real good test for this team.  Miami is really good and facing ECU on the road, on a short week no less, is not a good indication of how the rest of this season will go.  At some point in the near future, the results will start to match the effort and you'll be sorry you decided to jump ship so soon.  
Posted On: Sep 6th 2013, 9:04 AM #316897
Haha at this post please lets be real this team might be worse then last year. We are tired of the moving in the right direction bull. A 1aa school out up 38 on ECU last week and you say you like our effort. Please Pelini should not have been allowed on the plane last night.
Back to the top

I'm happy with our defense, they have done a great job and have made some really great stands.  Both of these games could have been much worse without the D making some good stops.

The offense on the other hand is dissapointing to say the least.  I will say that towards the end of the game I did see some positive changes and a little bit of spark, it was just too little too late.  But I hope that means that every game we will learn and improve.  I think that with a stronger O-line and improved play at the QB position we could be a great team.  You can certainly see the inexperience in our QB's last night.  It seems like the plan was get the snap, look for your first option, and then scramble like a headless chicken.  We saw the same thing last week, but I figured "hey, its UM".  I think this problem is fixable, it will just take time. Unfortunatly for us fans, time=poor offense.  Lastly, are our coordinators just not that creative or is our offense just incapable of handling more than 3 plays.  We have to do more than that.

To sum it all up, yes, last night was dissapointing and we have a long way to go on offense, but we'll get there.  Oh, and one more thing……………….Let's beat the hell out of USF next week!

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: