Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pay for Play?

With all the money being made off of college athletes why cant they get paid. They will find a way to get money anyways. Not to pull the race card but as you can the majority of the players are black and come from low income families. I know if my mom or dad was living in the hood struggling to make ends meet and someone offered me money to help out I know I would take it without even thinking.

D.J. Fluker among five SEC players to have received extra benefits while in college, according to report - ESPN
Back to the top

We've discussed this before so in summary:

We will eventually go this way and athletics departments will pay out stipends. The (relative) parity will disappear.

If the schools are allowed to set their own stipend limits we will lose out on recruit battles because schools like Michigan State can offer more than we can.

It's bad for us, potentially good for them. I do think if the Big Five move away from the NCAA they'll bite off more than they can chew and the payouts might get ridiculous. If everybody gets a flat stipend, that's one thing; if not and Ohio State is offering $10,000 a semester to the nation's top recruit to come there and Oregon is offering 8 and Florida is offering 9, you know, that's going to be a steaming pile of bulls*** on our televisions.
Back to the top

AND open up uncounted lawsuits by athletes from non-revenue sports and re-open the ENTIRE Title 9 issue again. Very few of the BigBoy programs even will be able to afford it and IMHO, the jerk kid being offered 2K to 10K will STILL WANT MORE because he feels so superior and entitled!
Collegiate sports could be looking at ther doom very soon, again, IMHO!
Back to the top

FauAnonymous said

With all the money being made off of college athletes why cant they get paid. They will find a way to get money anyways. Not to pull the race card but as you can the majority of the players are black and come from low income families. I know if my mom or dad was living in the hood struggling to make ends meet and someone offered me money to help out I know I would take it without even thinking.

D.J. Fluker among five SEC players to have received extra benefits while in college, according to report - ESPN
Posted On: Sep 12th 2013, 11:33 AM #317195

Title IX.

Most schools operate in the red.

Kids get paid or receive extra benefits EVERYWHERE already.

Next topic.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

FauAnonymous said

Posted On: Sep 12th 2013, 11:33 AM #317195

Title IX.

Most schools operate in the red.

Kids get paid or receive extra benefits EVERYWHERE already.

Next topic.
Posted On: Sep 13th 2013, 7:14 PM #317231

Compensation:  Scholarship, free travel to sporting events, free clothing, much more…..some say its not right they can't go out on the weekend…I say it's called sacrifice for a better life.  Shame on college athletes who allow themselves to be used and not go after a "real" degree…I rather deal with the "hardship" of being a college athlete than the work fulltime and take a full load of classes that I took in college…but that is just me.

Also, it's not just paying the football players and basketball players….it's paying EVERYONE.   And as you know…most sports if not all of them lose money.  
Back to the top