Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Are we really satisfied?

Most of us knew USF had issues going into the game yesterday and it should have definitely been a gimme. Our great defense scored twice but what kinda sticks in my mind is that we didn't throw for any touchdowns  After the dust settles and the euphoria of victory wears off, could we call this a quality win? A 2-1 Mid Tennessee team still looks like a challenge next week.
Back to the top

All issues aren't going to be resolved in one game.  We made progress on both sides of the ball.  The offense showed some signs of life and the defense was solid. Special teams did there job as well.  There is still slot of work to be done getting the offense consistent but they had two nice sustained drives, that builds coonfidence.

As far as MT is concerned, they have had our number for the last few years but barely beating a bad Memphis team is not very impressive.  If the defense plays as well as they did we should be in this game in the 4th quarter or better.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I don't know if you're going to see too many passing TDs this year, it's not Brian Wrights style.
Back to the top

teambeer said

I don't know if you're going to see too many passing TDs this year, it's not Brian Wrights style.
Posted On: Sep 15th 2013, 9:05 PM #317465

Do you blame him?
Back to the top

All wins are good to me!  I do not care of any perceived quality of the win.  The alternative is to lose.  Could we have a smoother looking offense? Of course.  We don't so let's do whatever we can to win games.  I think we were better than the game before so that's all we can do...keep improving. 

The only stat that matters is total points. 
Back to the top

Yes, I am happy.  It was not pretty, but it was a victory that we needed badly.  Our defense continues to play great, and the offense finally showed some signs of life.  After watching both our play and that of the bulls, there was no way I considered this a "gimmie" game, as I really felt it could easily go to either team.  As long as the team continues to gel I will be happy, whether we actually win or lose, I just want to see good football.  This win has given the team confidence.  I think we had a good crowd at the game, and it was a team that we have been unable to beat in the past, so it meant a lot.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I'm not sure any game can be chalked up as a "gimme" at this point in Pelini's history.  Had we kept the train rolling from our success in '07 & '08 and capitalized on recruiting and winning, then yes, there may be some gimme's.

We have to look at this for what it was.  A solid win where improvement was made, very good defensive and ST's play, even though I'd like to see the gunners on punt coverage get down field much faster to prevent those balls from going into the end zone.

Let's also not forget that this is one of the worst USF squad's in a decade.  Skip Holt left Taggart a dumpster fire to deal with.  They will be underperforming for at least 2-3 years.

Satisfied? I think if you're a competitive person, you're never satisfied but you need to be a realist and realize who we are also.
Back to the top

The defense scored 2 TD's. We can't expect that every week. Yes, it's good to be happy we won but to ignore the fact that FAU can not throw a pass is crazy. #12 completed one normal pass to Dukes the few other completions were a bubble screen to #8. He threw the ball laterally not down field. Every pass play called he looks downfield for a second and takes off. How long can this continue??? I sat in the stadium happy that we were winning but frustrated as hell because this team can not throw a pass. Let's see what everyone says after next week. Another point is that we had the lead and didn't HAVE to throw. We just ran the clock out. 
Back to the top

teambeer said

Posted On: Sep 15th 2013, 9:05 PM #317465

I dont think its our Quarterbacks style either…

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

You cant be satisfied...we dont have a DI ready QB. 

The maddening part is...if we had an offense that was just mediocre and could move the chains our defense could really be special and carry this team to a special season.

I dont know how to develop a QB, but I sure hope they are working on it.  Our QB has to be able to make 8 yard throws...I mean cmon.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: