Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Really?!

Add topic

I just read today in the Sentinel that we picked up two commits after our win over USF. I'm sure both these kids can run circles around me, but both of them are unrated (on ESPN) and have a total of one other scholarship offer between the two of them. In fact, among our 9 commits so far (according to ESPN), only two of them have an offer from 1 other college. And both those offers came from mmediocre programs.

This tells me that there is a consensus that most of these kids don't have the talent, the size, or the grades to get looked at by another program. So why are we giving scholarships to those who no one else wants?

I don't expect to recruit over big-time programs, but some of the other smaller programs in C-USA, like UAB and Southern Miss who are winless this season, have found a way to committed guys rated in the mid-70s to low-80s. And even some of their unrated recruits have other offers.

Florida, specifically South Florida, is a tough market to recruit; so my suggestion is to hire a staff member to recruit in the south east, but not in FL. Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia & KY are home to several good players that can't quite make the ACC & SEC teams that end up signing with Southern Miss, UAB, Georgia State or Western KY.

Let's stop recruiting the bottom of the barrel FL players and start focusing on talented players that we can realistically recruit from other states.

Am I really the only one who thinks we have a recruiting problem?
Back to the top

More information to consider before you form a complete "opinion", especially Vea:

Davis:

WR Derius Davis Commits to FAU - Owl's Nest

Vea:

Owls Land a DB - Owl's Nest
Back to the top

"The 6-foot-2 wide receiver had been hearing from the likes of Duke, Georgia Tech, South Alabama, and Syracuse before a knee injury derailed things."

If Davis can get back to 100% pre surgery, it will be a BIG WIN for us. :cool:
Back to the top

Also ESPN recruiting is pure garbage IMHO.

Try 247.com

They combine all the rankings.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Rating mean nothing. Every site rates everyone differently that is not a Top 100 recruit.  You can not base a players potentional off of what ESPN or Rivals says. If the kids fit the system of the coaches those are the players will get the offers. Was Alfred Morris a 4 or 5 star recruit out of High School?  Look how that turned out.  The coaches know what they are doing when it comes to recruiting, that is why they get paid what they get paid.  Sit back and enjoy the ride that is recruiting.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Guest said

Rating mean nothing. Every site rates everyone differently that is not a Top 100 recruit.  You can not base a players potentional off of what ESPN or Rivals says. If the kids fit the system of the coaches those are the players will get the offers. Was Alfred Morris a 4 or 5 star recruit out of High School?  Look how that turned out.  The coaches know what they are doing when it comes to recruiting, that is why they get paid what they get paid.  Sit back and enjoy the ride that is recruiting.

GO OWLS!
Posted On: Sep 18th 2013, 9:28 AM #317640
Wronggggggggg!!!
Ratings on legit sites like 247 yea your going to have your 2 star Hall of Famers and your 5 star busts. But go look and teams and where they finished in recruiting then where they finish in the polls two or three years later most of the time they reflect each other.
Like when we finished like 122 on rivals in 08 then went 1-11 two years later.
Back to the top

Before you jump off the cliff, you have to realize that two years ago the grand total number of commits at this time would be 0.

I like the potential Vea has and Davis just had knee surgery.

FAU isn't going to land some player with multiple BCS offers midseason, because they need to use official visits for that, and usually those are put on hold until January.

Back to the top

Great point Andrew, up until last year, we didn't even talk about recruiting until December.
Back to the top

Rick said

More information to consider before you form a complete "opinion", especially Vea:

Davis:

WR Derius Davis Commits to FAU - Owl's Nest

Vea:

Owls Land a DB - Owl's Nest
Posted On: Sep 18th 2013, 9:19 AM #317637

Really like Vea - that film is NOT attached to a lot of his  (no film at all with Rivals that I can see) apparently he (really his coach) has sent very little out to programs for review.  If that film were being viewed by more schools and Rivals, he might be higher ranked than a two star.  I like the commit.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Guest said

GO OWLS!
Posted On: Sep 18th 2013, 9:28 AM #317640
Wronggggggggg!!!
Ratings on legit sites like 247 yea your going to have your 2 star Hall of Famers and your 5 star busts. But go look and teams and where they finished in recruiting then where they finish in the polls two or three years later most of the time they reflect each other.
Like when we finished like 122 on rivals in 08 then went 1-11 two years later.

Posted On: Sep 18th 2013, 10:22 AM #317644

You need to make Tennessee, UCLA and Texas aware of your stance…they are definetly not on board.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: