Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post game chatter from Rice

FAU post-game thread

Some guys called it an ugly win, some said they didn't deserve it.

"Second half game plan boiled down to counting on our defense…who gutted it up, especially in the last 5 minutes. oh. And I'm forgetting the FAU QB having the ball fall out of his hands on his own 5 yard line.Bizarre fourth Q. Marked by stunning reversals for both teams. And..(ahem). Some questionable coaching decisions. It's odd to me how this happens. DB is not stupid. And yet it seemed an incredibly inept game from the coaching standpoint. I know the coaches will see the mistakes. I hope they have the ability to correct them. I'm tremendously proud of the team. Literally snatching this W from defeat. If I'm an FAU fan, I'm probably nauseated."
Back to the top

It's two days later and I'm still in disbelief.

This is a great line from one of their fans: "I guess we should be encouraged that ours was the second worst coaching staff in the stadium saturday. FAU's play calling in the 4th quarter was something even Reagan could not have urped up."
Back to the top

teambeer said

This is a great line from one of their fans: "I guess we should be encouraged that ours was the second worst coaching staff in the stadium saturday. FAU's play calling in the 4th quarter was something even Reagan could not have urped up."
Posted On: Sep 30th 2013, 7:43 AM #318784
+1

I am at work and the football schedule is staring me in the face. We could have had a 3 game win streak (possibly 4 with UAB this week) if we minimized the turnovers and had better coaching for both the Middle Tennessee and Rice games….GOSH!! IT REALLY SUCKS THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!
Back to the top

teambeer said

I hear you!  I have endured every loss in this program's history, going back to the first game against Slippery Rock 2001.  I have seen plenty of losses, no doubt.  I got over the loss to MTSU last week in about 3 minutes.  We showed we could score, come back in the last minute, and march down the field when needed. We just came up a play or 2 short.  I got over it.  

This loss still feels like someone punched me in the face.  I don't care about any of the reasons (or excuses) about how or why we lost.  I don't care about inexperience.  We had that game and should have won.  

There are not many opportunities to be in that position to win and we absolutely have to win that game.  I too, am still in disbelief.  
Back to the top

I feel like we are the NY Jets of college football, all we need is to complete the "butt fumble".  

Being forced to watch this game on ESPN gametracker on the phone was infuriating with the delays and trying to figure out what the hell was happening.  From what I saw, we had some good runs, but it still seemed like every passing play was a 5-10 yd dump pass.  I realize that we had Hankerson in, but we can not realistically compete if we can't stretch the field. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Hate on Howard Schnellenberger all you want but I can't think of a time (minus MSU in 2010 where he laid down, which I really saw as some kind of weird, old school, respect thing) where he made a call that cost us the game. That guy had forgotten more about being a Head Coach than Carl Pelini knows right now, and that's just the way it is, we were spoiled by having someone that has seen EVERY situation that could ever happen.

Remember some of those FIU wins when MC had their team on the upswing? Howard out coached MC, because Mario was learning on the job, just like CP is for us right now.
Back to the top

duder said

I feel like we are the NY Jets of college football, all we need is to complete the "butt fumble".  

Being forced to watch this game on ESPN gametracker on the phone was infuriating with the delays and trying to figure out what the hell was happening.  From what I saw, we had some good runs, but it still seemed like every passing play was a 5-10 yd dump pass.  I realize that we had Hankerson in, but we can not realistically compete if we can't stretch the field. 
Posted On: Sep 30th 2013, 10:40 AM #318788

Willie Dukes had one TD pass (that's in the books as a fumble recovery) of 40 yards and he also had a PI call take away a 50 yarder, so we did throw vertical in this game…sadly just the same 2 plays though.
Back to the top

duder said

I feel like we are the NY Jets of college football, all we need is to complete the "butt fumble"

The 4th down spike will have to do.

I believe this team can do big things but the guys on the field somehow end up shooting themselves in the foot. It's frustrating.
Back to the top

teambeer said

duder said

Posted On: Sep 30th 2013, 10:40 AM #318788

Willie Dukes had one TD pass (that's in the books as a fumble recovery) of 40 yards and he also had a PI call take away a 50 yarder, so we did throw vertical in this game…sadly just the same 2 plays though.
Posted On: Sep 30th 2013, 10:52 AM #318792

It was 80 yards!!  And after Rice adjusted their defense that long bomb was no longer there.  
Back to the top

fauowl said

teambeer said

I hear you!  I have endured every loss in this program's history, going back to the first game against Slippery Rock 2001.  I have seen plenty of losses, no doubt.  I got over the loss to MTSU last week in about 3 minutes.  We showed we could score, come back in the last minute, and march down the field when needed. We just came up a play or 2 short.  I got over it.  

This loss still feels like someone punched me in the face.  I don't care about any of the reasons (or excuses) about how or why we lost.  I don't care about inexperience.  We had that game and should have won.  

There are not many opportunities to be in that position to win and we absolutely have to win that game.  I too, am still in disbelief.  
Posted On: Sep 30th 2013, 9:06 AM #318786

Exactly how I feel
Back to the top
Control functions: