Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

3rd Annual Tip-Off Dinner with Coach Jarvis

Add topic

We will be holding the 3rd Annual Fundraising Dinner with FAU basketball Coach, Mike Jarvis, staff, and Team on November 4, 2013 (6PM) at Matteo's in Boca Raton.

This event has raised $90,000 for the program over the past 2 years.
The food is incredible.

$100 per person.

For more information, please go to
http://www.itsowltime.com/Fundraising

To see photos of last year's event:
http://www.itsowltime.com/FAU_Fundraiser_Photos_2012.html

Thank you,

Mark
It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

I have gone the last 2 years (or bought tickets anyway)…I need to see a solid season out of this program without the off the court issues with transfers and dropouts that we have been seeing before I continue to support Jarvis to this level.

It bothers me how long he has been coaching and doesn't seem to have the experience or leadership to keep these kids with the program and developing them.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I understand, but this event is not about individuals...it is about building a culture of giving back to the program.

This event raises money for things that prominent schools get without even thinking about it.  The true mid-major programs were built with support over many years of non-winning programs.  IMO, that is what separates our program from a true mid-major program. 

People like to throw out terms like: winning cures everything (didn't work for Baseball)...and build it and they will come (didn't work for Football).  Now we have moved on to: Build it AND win and they will come.

We simply need more people who care about this entire Athletics program.

Back to the top

fauowl said

I understand, but this event is not about individuals…it is about building a culture of giving back to the program.

This event raises money for things that prominent schools get without even thinking about it.  The true mid-major programs were built with support over many years of non-winning programs.  IMO, that is what separates our program from a true mid-major program.

People like to throw out terms like: winning cures everything (didn't work for Baseball)…and build it and they will come (didn't work for Football).  Now we have moved on to: Build it AND win and they will come.

We simply need more people who care about this entire Athletics program.

Posted On: Oct 16th 2013, 8:12 AM #319823
fauowl, I totally disgree. FAU has not established a culture within the student body and alumni base that creates an affinity for the school. In order to grow the donor base, FAU has to change its negative perception as it relates to academic and athletics. Believe it or not, some current students and alumni are not too fond of its affiliation with FAU. Until we rectify the negative perception of the school, we will not see an increase in the donor base.

This rectification starts with the BOT, FAU President and Pat Chun.
1.) For academics, FAU has to establish higher academic standards so that graduates can feel proud to be an alumni of FAU. I have encountered too many alumni who are ashamed to have graduated from FAU. The BOT has been a joke. BOT have no vision for the school and that's because many of the board members have no ties to FAU and doesn't give a hoot.
2.) For athletics, we need consistency at all levels of sports. It is hard for the students to be supportive when clearly there is no consistency with improvements with all the sports (with the exception of Baseball). Creating a love for FAU sports starts with current students and alumni base but our athletic programs need consistency in being competitive and WINNING.
Back to the top

OWLNATION said

fauowl, I totally disgree. FAU has not established a culture within the student body and alumni base that creates an affinity for the school. In order to grow the donor base, FAU has to change its negative perception as it relates to academic and athletics. Believe it or not, some current students and alumni are not too fond of its affiliation with FAU. Until we rectify the negative perception of the school, we will not see an increase in the donor base.

This rectification starts with the BOT, FAU President and Pat Chun.
1.) For academics, FAU has to establish higher academic standards so that graduates can feel proud to be an alumni of FAU. I have encountered too many alumni who are ashamed to have graduated from FAU. The BOT has been a joke. BOT have no vision for the school and that's because many of the board members have no ties to FAU and doesn't give a hoot.
2.) For athletics, we need consistency at all levels of sports. It is hard for the students to be supportive when clearly there is no consistency with improvements with all the sports (with the exception of Baseball). Creating a love for FAU sports starts with current students and alumni base but our athletic programs need consistency in being competitive and WINNING.
Posted On: Oct 16th 2013, 9:06 AM #319826

I do not disagree with you.  There are many things that can make things better.  However, I cannot control those things…I can only control the support level that I give.  Putting contingencies on support is everyone's own business.  But it goes to my point of exactly why we are not a real mid-major program and why we need many more supporters.

Back to the top

All good points above…devil's advocate:

Florida Gulf Coast.

(open ended for those who want ponder why they are mentioned)
Back to the top

I think Pat Chun is doing a great job of trying to reach out and reach sponsors and alumni and the students, while yes winning does help, it takes a while to build the relationship that was sorely lacking under Angelos and previous AD's. You have to have the patience to allow Pat to work the phones and people. Coach Pelini is slowly turning around football, baseball will always be consistnent hopefully, and if the basketball teams can make March Madness and make it past a couple rounds it helps.
Back to the top

walty12 said

It bothers me how long he has been coaching and doesn't seem to have the experience or leadership to keep these kids with the program and developing them.

I think walty and fauowl both make good points here. No doubt about it, this event has done great things for the program.

But I'd like to ask those of you who say that we should be laying out money to FAU regardless of what happens because that's how you build a program: what would you consider a "good" way to show our displeasure with the state of FAU basketball (or any other sport)?
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I think Pat Chun is doing a great job of trying to reach out and reach sponsors and alumni and the students, while yes winning does help, it takes a while to build the relationship that was sorely lacking under Angelos and previous AD's. You have to have the patience to allow Pat to work the phones and people. Coach Pelini is slowly turning around football, baseball will always be consistnent hopefully, and if the basketball teams can make March Madness and make it past a couple rounds it helps.
Posted On: Oct 16th 2013, 11:23 AM #319832
Pat Chun is doing an outstanding job given his short time there. I can only imagine the bigger things that he would be able to accomplish if he had the funds to do so. Does anyone if there are any fundraising events to assist with Chun's vision for a new academic center and weight room?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

walty12 said

I think walty and fauowl both make good points here. No doubt about it, this event has done great things for the program.

But I'd like to ask those of you who say that we should be laying out money to FAU regardless of what happens because that's how you build a program: what would you consider a "good" way to show our displeasure with the state of FAU basketball (or any other sport)?
Posted On: Oct 16th 2013, 12:27 PM #319834

To me, support is not just about "laying out money."  There are 30,000 students who have already paid for the right to attend sporting events.  About 2,000 participate.  Attend events whenever it makes sense for the individuals budget.  Support businesses (when it makes sense) that support FAU.  ADT, Duffy's, Acura, Hyundai, etc., to name a few.  

I don't know all the "good" ways to express displeasure other than communicating with Athletics regarding individual concerns.

I do know…that holding back support in any form in an effort to show displeasure will never ever benefit and advance the program in any way.  
Back to the top
Control functions: