Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UM NCAA penalties

Add topic

The U got thier final verdict and punishments from the NCAA today;

Miami receives loss of 12 scholarships in NCAA infractions case | Dr. Saturday - Yahoo Sports

Now let's see if we can get at least one (1) OF THOSE NINE SCHOLLYS LOST TO COME HERE INSTEAD!

Go get 'em Coaches!
Back to the top

Too light…It's three per year over three seasons…nine per year for three seasons would be more appropriate!
Back to the top

Rick said

Too light…It's three per year over three seasons…nine per year for three seasons would be more appropriate!
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2013, 2:06 PM #319992

I disagree…I am NOT a Canes fan by any measure but an investigation that lasted over 2.5 years caused severe collateral damage (every single school recruiting against them bringing this up).  In addition, they voluntarily did not participate in two bowls and the ACC Title game.  Also, I believe they self imposed scholarship reductions during the investigation.  

Anyone who is a college sports fan of any school should be very nervous about how this investigation was handled and drawned out by the NCAA…and the main witness being someone who is going to be locked up for 40+ years.  The Canes deserve punishment, and I think they received fair punishment.
Back to the top

its the equivlant of time served. if frigging ncaa handed down punishment for more than UM had already handed themselves, there would have been a uproar. The university cooprated fully and the ncaa screwed up. so UM got what they wanted, and so did the NCAA.
Back to the top

Three letters:

SMU.

Size it up, line it up, and please explain to me how this is fair and just given the above.
Back to the top

I'm no UM fan and I disagree with you Rick.  They missed out on 3 post season games and lost out on recruits and donations for 3 years while this hung over their program.  The NCAA screwed up this case which relied on the testimony of a convicted felon in the first place.  Very few people (if any) are left in their athletic department from this situation.  After 3 years of investigating, if something, anything, was there to penalize harsher, they would have received much stiffer penalties.  
Back to the top

Are you familiar with what SMU got for $65K in booster payouts? Let me help you out…

The 1987 season was canceled.
All home games in 1988 were canceled.
The team's existing probation was extended to 1990.
Its existing ban from bowl games and live television was extended to 1989.
SMU lost 55 new scholarship positions over 4 years.
The team was allowed to hire only five full-time assistant coaches instead of the typical nine.
No off-campus recruiting was permitted until August 1988.
No paid visits could be made to campus by potential recruits until the start of the 1988–89 school year.

Granted they were on probation at the time, but it's not even close to being fair.

Miami was not hurt by refraining from playing in the post season.

This was a JOKE, and just goes to show why the NCAA must be reeled in now. They are out of control, unbridled "government".
Back to the top

Too many schools think the NCAA is a joke. Punishments like this probably extend that belief.
Back to the top

The NCAA isn't a joke because their punishments aren't harsh enough…they are a joke because many of their rules are archaic and absurd.

As for SMU…you can't compare something that happened 30 years ago to the UM case today.  It's a completely different world in college sports in terms of money, technology, society, etc.  And as you pointed out, SMU got such a harsh penalty because they were already on probation when their scandal occurred.  Another way to look at it is that Penn State is going to lose 4 postseasons.  What went on there is FAR worse than whatever happened at UM.  So UM ends up with half of the postseason ban that Penn State received…seems like enough to me.      

Besides, don't you think the NCAA would have loved to punish UM more?  They obviously didn't have the evidence to do more or they would have.  The case was based on the stories of a man who robbed hundreds of people out of their retirements.  Sorry, but I just don't take him at his word.  
Back to the top

Rick said

Are you familiar with what SMU got for $65K in booster payouts? Let me help you out…

The 1987 season was canceled.
All home games in 1988 were canceled.
The team's existing probation was extended to 1990.
Its existing ban from bowl games and live television was extended to 1989.
SMU lost 55 new scholarship positions over 4 years.
The team was allowed to hire only five full-time assistant coaches instead of the typical nine.
No off-campus recruiting was permitted until August 1988.
No paid visits could be made to campus by potential recruits until the start of the 1988–89 school year.

Granted they were on probation at the time, but it's not even close to being fair.

Miami was not hurt by refraining from playing in the post season.

This was a JOKE, and just goes to show why the NCAA must be reeled in now. They are out of control, unbridled "government".
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2013, 4:50 PM #320000

And the general consensus of the SMU situation is that the penalties were too harsh…it took over 20 years for the program to recover from the "death penalty".  They were pretty blatant, but SMU should not have had to suffer for 20 years because of the sins of the people from the mid 80's.
Back to the top
Control functions: