Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BOT Members Anthony Barbar and Interim Prez Dennis Crudele meeting with Boca City Council 10/22/13

Add topic

Here's a quick recap of what was said in the 5-minute long presentation to the city around 6 pm today. Did my best to transcribe their quotes. Basically they wanted to express their gratitude and appreciation for the FAU-Boca relationship and the City was very complimentary of Crudele's work as interim president.

Anthony Barbar, BOT Chairman
- Talked about the importance of FAU-Boca town-and-gown connection.
- Very appreciative of how we were able to work together to bring the bowl game to Boca.
- Introduced Dennis Crudele.

Dennis Crudele, Interim President
- FAU is a $6.3 billion economic impact
- Talked about FAU/C-USA arrangement and television impact, citing various networks that will be showing our games and our city on TV
- FAU stadium is one of four new locations selected for post-season bowl game (room applauds); it’s a six year commitment. Bowl game will bring national media attention to FAU and the community
- FAU has 31,000 students this year with nearly 3,500 FTIC students
- 20th Street Overlay Project; talking with faculty, staff and student focus groups to see what they would like there, expects a report available before the end of the semester
- Mayoral candidate Susan Haynie: “I think the 20th Street overlay is essential… invaluable. So pleased to hear its happening so quickly.” Crudele: “Us too. We’re fast-tracking the focus group forms.”
- Mullaugh: “Comment for the BOT; I recognize that I don’t have any vote on the next President but I’m very impressed with the interim president.“
- Mayoral candidate Anthony Majhess: “The competence is apparent and we're appreciative of the interim president. I pushed for annual meetings between our board, the FAU BOT and the hospital and I look forward to that.”
- Mayor Whelchel (regarding the bowl game): “We like to get involved in all the fun and enjoyable activities that bring attention to the city and certainly we’ll tag along in that.”
- Mayor and several others wished Crudele would "remove the interim label" and just be the president.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Mayor and several others wished Crudele would "remove the interim label" and just be the president.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2013, 6:20 PM #320004

Can't see this happening…

Back to the top

Not happening, he's retiring at the end of all of this

i do echo the sentiments of the Boca peeps, the guy is awesome and we'd be lucky to have him as a president
Back to the top

If any current students hear about the 20th street focus groups, please let us know when/what happened if you can. I'd really like to know what the students would like to see there.

And if I hear anything about an alumni/local business (e.g. It's Owl Time) focus group (which I doubt there will be), I will pass it along.
Back to the top

FAU took heat for Brogen only having a masters degree. A president with only  a bachelor has very little chance of happening. He might be real successful otherwise.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I got an email with a survey about developing 20th. It asked if I'd be interested in efforts to develop it, what I'd like to see (retail, nightlife and restaurants) and on an "other" option I expressed that I'd like 20th to be renamed University.

Whats the likelihood of affordable off campus housing popping up around there?
Back to the top

352Owl said

I got an email with a survey about developing 20th.
Posted On: Oct 30th 2013, 4:13 AM #320357
Awesome. Did it have a link you can share with us?

352Owl said

It asked if I'd be interested in efforts to develop it, what I'd like to see (retail, nightlife and restaurants) and on an "other" option I expressed that I'd like 20th to be renamed University.
Nice! Good work.

352Owl said

Whats the likelihood of affordable off campus housing popping up around there?
I guess that depends on your definition of affordable. Most places are probably going to run about $1200 - whatever the market will bear. To that end, you're not going to see a newly constructed apartment building offering rents of $500 for a 1/1 or $900 for a 3/3.

But there WILL be housing over there. University Park will be constructed at the intersection of 20th and Dixie. That's the first confirmed one. There are others in various stages of development like The Grove, but that would be north of Addison Park, and La Vida apartments, which only have 11 units and aren't technically student housing but it will be on 20th.

As I see it, the key will be to develop mixed-use housing in that area: stores on the first floor, apartments up top. And I think that will happen in the next few years, though I haven't seen any specific plans for that yet.
Back to the top

Back to the top
Control functions: