Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

East Boca turning into the ghetto.

Add topic

First the shooting, then the armed robery at arts and letters, then the guy killing his wife on A1A, now this all in a week.

A message from FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITYFAU Alert #1, On October 23, 2013, FAUPD received a report of an armed robbery on the Boca Raton campus. The victim got into his car in the parking adjacent to the Rec Center. He was approached by five black males who entered his vehicle.  He was then forced to drive to a bank by Boca Town Center. There he was forced to obtain money. The suspects told him to drive Coconut Creek. There the victim was battered and left with his vehicle. The victim drove himself home. He subsequently sought medical treatment for his injuries. He was treated and released. If you have information concerning this matter please contact the FAUPD at 561-297-3500.
Back to the top

Yeah this is crazy and difficult to treat because the campus is so open and there are so many visitors. I guess FAU PD is going to have to dial up the night security.

We never had this kind of problem when I was there. It's bad PR for our school too - students definitely don't want to go somewhere if they think they'll get mugged on the way to their cars.
Back to the top

I don't know…I mean, yes there are some sketchy low rent areas from the Uni over to dixie in Boca but it's hardly the ghetto, it's like two blocks.

The murder was a wacked out wealthy businessman who went out to A1A to kill his wife at his MIL's place, not some drug deal gone awry, they lived in a multi million dollar home in central boca. That sort of stuff happens no matter what your W-2 says, you can still be crazy and rich.

I think Doc is right, FAU's responsibility is to keep our students safe, that should mean more emergency call stations and more presence by the PD. You put more and more people on campus and more crime happens it's the nature of growth, for reference, UCF had 3 armed robberies in 2012, 2 with firearms and 1 with a knife.

But why did the kid drive himself home before calling the cops? That's weird…
Back to the top

teambeer said

But why did the kid drive himself home before calling the cops? That's weird…
Posted On: Oct 24th 2013, 7:30 AM #320027
Whenever you hear something that does not make sense from the "victim" you have to be a little suspect of the story.  

In relation to Deerfield, Delray, Boynton, Pompano and I can go on and on East Boca is very far from a ghetto.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Whenever you hear something that does not make sense from the "victim" you have to be a little suspect of the story.

Not saying that there isn't more to the story than what's printed because there always could be

but

thugs do jump in cars and demand people drive to withdraw money from the bank, plus there are a number of people who will be within an inch of death before they ever consider seeking medical attention, especially if he was embarrassed about what happened.

So I believe the story. Unfortunately (and I hate to admit it) college students can be easy targets.

I just wonder what your options are in that scenario other than strict compliance. I assume there was a gun or knife involved.

I also wonder what this string of incidents means for attendance at things like the Fall Family Fest next week.
Back to the top

Kind of a coincidence that the UP wrote up a story claiming the University Cleary Act report wasn't reporting all incidents on campus and it made it look safer. Maybe the thugs and criminal read the UP and said there is a place ripe for the taking.
Back to the top

Haha, well, I doubt thugs read the UP  :Big-Grin: because it involves reading

but

I do think there are a number of people inviting questionable non-students to party with them in dorms and that contributes to it. Remember a couple years ago there was a shooting at a party in UVA and it turns out it was some guy from another school who whipped out a gun at a dorm room party?

I think it's likely that these guys saw a tweet or something about an event, got dropped off here, left/got kicked out and thought they'd just force this kid to get back. I mean, who robs a kid and then asks to be driven home?

I hope they put all those guys away.
Back to the top

Dusky called it… it was a hoax.

"After an extensive investigation led by the Florida Atlantic University Police Department, it has been determined that the events of Wednesday, Oct. 23 did not happen as reported. There were no crimes committed on FAU’s Boca Raton campus as indicated by Mr. Vincent Philipps, a 25-year-old FAU student and resident of Coral Springs.

Mr. Philipps was not approached by five black males upon entering his car and was not forced to drive to a local bank and then Coconut Creek. He did seek medical treatment for injuries at a local hospital later that evening, but those injuries did not occur as a result of any incident on the FAU campus.

Mr. Philipps met with FAU police earlier this evening and confessed that he had fabricated the reported events as a cover for what actually occurred. He now alleges that he was battered in Broward County while paying off a drug debt."
Back to the top

Im not sure how an area that doesn't have a house for sale under $200,000 is the ghetto?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Boozie132 said

First the shooting, then the armed robery at arts and letters, then the guy killing his wife on A1A, now this all in a week.

A message from FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITYFAU Alert #1, On October 23, 2013, FAUPD received a report of an armed robbery on the Boca Raton campus. The victim got into his car in the parking adjacent to the Rec Center. He was approached by five black males who entered his vehicle.  He was then forced to drive to a bank by Boca Town Center. There he was forced to obtain money. The suspects told him to drive Coconut Creek. There the victim was battered and left with his vehicle. The victim drove himself home. He subsequently sought medical treatment for his injuries. He was treated and released. If you have information concerning this matter please contact the FAUPD at 561-297-3500.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2013, 10:43 PM #320025

What first shooting?   Guy killing his wife was domestice violence, happens everywhere and anywhere.  And this story was a hoax, fabricated to cover a drug debt.  In a city of 80,000 + things are bound to happend but hardly a ghetto.
Back to the top
Control functions: