Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Cost to be The Ultimate FAU Fan

What's the most number of games you've ever attended in a season?

I was curious to know how much it would theoretically cost to attend all 12 FAU football games each season. Here's what I was thinking as a ballpark figure...

In 2013:
- Center sideline season home tickets would be $150
- Away tickets would be about $270
- $20 avg to park x 12 games = 240
- $250 airfare (on average) + $200 for hotel+food ($55/night for 2 nights of hotel and six meals at $15 each)= $450 x 7 away games = $3,150

Grand total $3,810

Plus I bet you could easily spend another $190+ on local attractions so let's round it off to an even $4,000/season or $333/game.

(and yes I realize you could do it cheaper by driving or staying with friends)

Also makes me wonder if I'd even have the stamina to do that much traveling or if I'd start to burn out midway through the season. Hopping on and off airplanes nearly every weekend for 12-14 weeks... rough.
Back to the top

After a quick rundown, I've had seasons of 9, 8 and 7 total games,

2010 I hit UAB, USF and Texas on the road but we only had 4 homes games (bc of Mich St in Detroit)

2007 I hit USF, UF, FIU and then the New Orleans Bowl (which was the most spend on an FAU football trip bc I took my gf, now wife, on a vacation to NO for 5 days around that game, which was well worth the money, I'm really glad I went on that trip)

2003 we had a full slate of home games, played UCF (who we very nearly beat!), FIU on the road and Colgate for the semis at Lockhart, I should've gone to Bethune that year but it was thanksgiving weekend so I hit 9 that year.

I've only missed 3 home games since program inception (was a student in 2000) by my count and have had season tix since graduation, I try to go one one or two road games per season and usually to a big college town, it's more fun than hitting up Monroe LA. There are people around the program that have been to every game, or very close, some of the big boosters that have seats on the plane for every game, but I gather they don't post here  :Big-Grin: if you were paying your own way, getting to some of the towns from our 1-aa and Sun Belt days would be rough!
Back to the top

I have been too about 6 away games and only have missed two home games since 2008.
Back to the top

I went to the Michigan State game in 2011 where we only got one first down…I scalped tickets with my girlfriend at the time (she fell off a cliff and died on impact 3 months later) which ended up being in the student section.

Sitting through that felt like 5 football games which puts me at 14 for that season…so 14 is the most FAU games I have been to in a season.

(Just to be clear, by 1 first down...I mean I sat through an entire football game around drunk students of the other team in which we only got 1 first down.  From when the game started till it ended 1 first down.  Nope, this is not in red font...it actually happened.  1 first down in an ENTIRE football game).

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Jim Slowiak and his wife Leigh to go almost every away game (at least they used to)

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Still do!
Back to the top

I think you're underestimating plane fare.
Back to the top
Control functions: