Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Coaching Search 2013...

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Off the top of my head, these are the very early potential candidates:

Brian Wright - FAU Interim Coach, knows the program, has a 4 game audition, apparently Jim Tressel is his mentor (so there is a Chun connection).
Eddie Gran - Cincy OC, great South Florida recruiter.
Mario Cristobal - Alabama Assistant. Don't know if he's a good coach, but this would make Shula Bowl a lot of fun  :Laughing:
Manny Diaz - Former Texas DC, local ties.
James Coley - UM OC.  Reportedly wasn't interested in FIU job, so who knows if he'd be interested in this job…but knows South Florida.

Back to the top

Throwing out some potential candidates:

Al Saunders
Tom Clements
Clarence Shelmon
Jed Fisch
Jim Zorn
Brent Venables
Mike Bellotti
Eddie Gran
Randy Shannon
Shawn Watson
Back to the top

I was thinking of Mario Cristobal too. knows how to run the spread offense. Then Brian Wright, but the OC at Auburn made be interesting pick too. but lets wait and see, AD Chun said he wont make a announcement until the investigation is complete.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I was thinking of Mario Cristobal too. knows how to run the spread offense.
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 1:16 PM #320547

You serious?

(i don't see red font)
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I was thinking of Mario Cristobal too. knows how to run the spread offense. Then Brian Wright, but the OC at Auburn made be interesting pick too. but lets wait and see, AD Chun said he wont make a announcement until the investigation is complete.

Announcement of what until the investigation is complete?  A new coach?  That won't happen until after the season. There's no reason to name a coach right now.  May as well see what is out there after the season.
Back to the top

I don't think Randy Shannon be a good fit. Would not use the personnel we have right. Also Mike Shannon's son Kyle might be a good fit for some HC experience. He runs the read option in DC.
Back to the top

hey I read that on news ok  

fauowls44 said

USMCOWL said

Announcement of what until the investigation is complete?  A new coach?  That won't happen until after the season. There's no reason to name a coach right now.  May as well see what is out there after the season.
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 1:20 PM #320549

Back to the top

Here's what the coach needs to have/be:
   1.  Stud recruiter - Pelini seemed a bit lacking here
   2.  Enthusiastic figurehead for the program - Someone who will beat the bushes to get FAU's name out there.  Pelini sorely lacked this and I'm surprised given that in his contract, he would get bonused based on attendance thresholds.
   3.  Developer of talent - We know FAU won't get the 3, 4 & 5 star recruits but you have to be someone who could develop the 2 star recruits into 3 or 4 star talent.  The jury is still out on whether Pelini was good at this.

Basically, you want someone with the marketing ability of Howard but with better recruiting ability.  These are hard to come by.  I get the sense that Pelini was on thin ice a bit as he wasn't Chun's hire.  I think while the drug issue was clearly a fireable offense, I think Chun may have been looking for a reason to can Pelini.  I remember reading the articles about how Angelos was blown away by Pelini's presentation and ideas for the program and frankly, I don't see where anything really materialized.  The offense is not an exciting style right now (largely because of QB deficiencies), the fan support is not there, and there hasn't been any real recruiting headlines to speak of.  I used to love taking my sons to the Spring game and some of the open practices but Pelini pretty much took those away and as a result, my kids could care less about going to a game where they don't know the names or faces.  Throw in that Pelini was bound to make one or two coaching decisions that would sabotage the game (see MTSU game or Marshall for evidence) and there wasn't alot for the casual fan to hang their hat on.

I hope Chun hires an innovative mind that doesn't mind selling the FAU program at every sports bar from south Miami to Martin County.  A big name would help but some of the names tossed out there right now (Belotti, Cristobal, Venables, etc.) seem very unlikely.  If there ever was a time to capitalize on the sorry state of FIU's program, it's right now.  Go Owls!
Back to the top

I still think Mike Leach is the one…

oh wait…

nevermind!
Back to the top
Control functions: