Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

More Newspaper Disrespect

I have to agree. It's simple supply and demand. If there is no demand for FAU football articles, there is no need to use your resources there. you print what people want to read. That's what sells newspapers and that's what attracts advertisers.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Bob Markey said

Finally, I was almost glad I wasn't writing about the controversy or game last night after hearing the FAU SID sharply warn reporters that questions about the alleged marijuana and cocaine use by Carl Pelini and Pete Rekstis would not be tolerated and any distasteful (according to whom?) questions would result in the ejection of the reporter(s). It's been a while since I witnessed such official disrespect for the Fourth Estate in decades of writing and photo coverage.
Posted On: Nov 3rd 2013, 10:53 AM #320838

BMarkey: Which SID gave those orders? I was in the news business (from Miami to LA) many years, and I know we wouldn't have tolerated such. This kind of approach is what buys (and keeps) FAU's membership in the small-time operation category. I would not have allowed a reporter to participate in an open-to-the press session on public property at a public institution under these conditions (now would the AP, unless it has changed substantially). Further, I would have it reviewed by a top-tier First Amendment attorney. And I certainly would have made it clear in print. Why in the world would FAU be out in search of yet more problems?
Back to the top

I don't consider a personal opinion column about a failed coach to be game coverage. The game story (without even a sidebar) was buried.

true newspaper has a responsibility to serve and support the best interests of the community and that includes its major institutions - win or lose. Did the Miami Herald or other newspapers stop covering the Marlins? Did the Tampa Bay Times or Tampa Tribune stop covering the Bucs (this season, or even back when they were really a joke)? Have they stopped covering USF, which has become a joke?

Did the Times Picayune stop covering the Saints when they were, for so many years, the 'Aints?

Supply and demand? You don;t know if there is any demand unti to produce some supply and see how if it consumed. FAU has more local students and alumni than any other school. It would seem obvious that those people would like to see their school covered at least as thoroughly as schools hours and hours away.

The Post and Sun-Sentinel have for many years been about covering the bigtime sports (almost to make it leaders project an image of a bigtime paper), even when there were more important sports locally. When West Palm Beach had competitive and fun minor league hockey and basketball teams, the Post would ignore them and staff away games for Miami teams.

The Post goes out of its way to cover bad news at FAU, including the shootings, alleged robberies, stadium naming and internal controversies. It editorializes against FAU growth and betterment. I don't see it doing that to other state universities. It should cover legitimate FAU news but better balance the good news with the bad.

It's the chicken or the egg syndrome here. If the newspaper continues to ignore FAU, it will be difficult to garner much fan support. And wining will be difficult to achieve without fan support.

The only good news here it that as the printed newspaper continues to dwindle, Internet distribution of FAU news will become more mainstream and FAU and entities like FAUOwlsNest.com can step in and help grow the university's sports footprint.
Back to the top

Which SID gave those orders? I was in the news business (from Miami to LA) many years, and I know we wouldn't have tolerated such. This kind of approach is what buys (and keeps) FAU's membership in the small-time operation category. I would not have allowed a reporter to participate in an open-to-the press session on public property at a public institution under these conditions (now would the AP, unless it has changed substantially). Further, I would have it reviewed by a top-tier First Amendment attorney. And I certainly would have made it clear in print. Why in the world would FAU be out in search of yet more problems?

The SID made the announcement. No one said a word in response. There were a number of FAU board members and support staff (and even children) there. It was odd. Maybe Rick or Andrew have it recorded?

The press covering FAU seems very timid to me. No one, at any press conference I have attended, has ever pushed the envelope and asked any really tough questions - especially of Pelini. I am there for photography, so I keep my mouth shut, but so many times I have had to check myself before asking a question. ;-)
Back to the top

My impression is REAL POOR COVERAGE by the FT. LAUDERDAL SUN-SENTINAL. Page ten while UM-FSU gets front page AND a two page SPREAD in the middle. Hell, even ANOTHER FIU loss was a page ahead of us!

CRUDDY COVERAGE of the LOCAL University IMHO, team records or not!
Back to the top

I have not read the editorials against FAU betterment and growth but it does not make sense to me why they would do that. I see FAU as nothing but a benefit to Boca with a huge economic impact.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Bob Markey said

I don't consider a personal opinion column about a failed coach to be game coverage. The game story (without even a sidebar) was buried.

true newspaper has a responsibility to serve and support the best interests of the community and that includes its major institutions - win or lose. Did the Miami Herald or other newspapers stop covering the Marlins? Did the Tampa Bay Times or Tampa Tribune stop covering the Bucs (this season, or even back when they were really a joke)? Have they stopped covering USF, which has become a joke?

Did the Times Picayune stop covering the Saints when they were, for so many years, the 'Aints?

Supply and demand? You don;t know if there is any demand unti to produce some supply and see how if it consumed. FAU has more local students and alumni than any other school. It would seem obvious that those people would like to see their school covered at least as thoroughly as schools hours and hours away.

The Post and Sun-Sentinel have for many years been about covering the bigtime sports (almost to make it leaders project an image of a bigtime paper), even when there were more important sports locally. When West Palm Beach had competitive and fun minor league hockey and basketball teams, the Post would ignore them and staff away games for Miami teams.

The Post goes out of its way to cover bad news at FAU, including the shootings, alleged robberies, stadium naming and internal controversies. It editorializes against FAU growth and betterment. I don't see it doing that to other state universities. It should cover legitimate FAU news but better balance the good news with the bad.

It's the chicken or the egg syndrome here. If the newspaper continues to ignore FAU, it will be difficult to garner much fan support. And wining will be difficult to achieve without fan support.

The only good news here it that as the printed newspaper continues to dwindle, Internet distribution of FAU news will become more mainstream and FAU and entities like FAUOwlsNest.com can step in and help grow the university's sports footprint.
Posted On: Nov 4th 2013, 11:28 AM #320885

Unfortunately, a columnist at a game IS game coverage. Pelini was obviously the overwhelming storyline of the week. And to my previous point, why should they devote space to a game story AND sidebar if there is no demand for it?

As for the PBPost, which is the paper I get in Boynton/Delray, I know they stopped covering the Panthers a couple years ago … because they are horrible. They stopped covering the Marlins last year … because they are horrible. I called when they stopped covering the Panthers and was told there just wasn't a demand for coverage and they were better off using their resources on other beats.

And as for not covering minor league hockey and basketball, I would guess there is more demand for high school coverage than for the Blaze or BeachDogs.

TV and newspapers cover "bad news" because it's more titillating than good news. TV will devote more time to car crashes and shootings than it will to a cancer charity walk. That's just how it goes, whether we like it or not.

Bottom line, if FAU wants to avoid more bad publicity, it should stop doing stupid things.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

If the Post was good at judging demand, it wouldn't be hanging by a thread right now. A consultant recently encouraged the Post to cover more national and state news and less local news. A recipe for death.

The Beachdogs and Blaze would pack the West Palm Beach Auditorium. No demand?

Again, a metro newspaper owes it local university at least the same amount of coverage it gives to those hundreds of miles away.

The Post executives have no idea how much demand FAU coverage has because it has never offered decent FAU coverage.
Back to the top

Bob Markey said

If the Post was good at judging demand, it wouldn't be hanging by a thread right now. A consultant recently encouraged the Post to cover more national and state news and less local news. A recipe for death.

The Beachdogs and Blaze would pack the West Palm Beach Auditorium. No demand?

Again, a metro newspaper owes it local university at least the same amount of coverage it gives to those hundreds of miles away.

The Post executives have no idea how much demand FAU coverage has because it has never offered decent FAU coverage.
Posted On: Nov 4th 2013, 12:09 PM #320893
A lot of bigger newspapers than the PBPost are falling on hard times. Are the Wellington Town Crier or COastal Star any better off because they only cover local news?

BTW, I went to plenty of Blaze games that were not packed. I think kazoo night was the only packed night LOL. And the Beachdogs? There's a reason they only lasted a couple seasons down here, and it wasn't because they were a bad team.

And no, no paper owes it to the community to cover its local university if its not warranted. How much are Lynn or Palm Beach Atlantic covered by the media? Very little because there's not the audience of the more established universities. Hell, I bet the Palm Beach Gators Club has more members than FAU has season ticket holders. That's part of why UF gets more coverage.

And again, if you think FAU deserves more coverage in the Post call their sports editors. That how things get done

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

On the other hand, how good of a job are we doing in making the information visible?  I've been all over the FAU web site and can't find the coach's post game interview.  Even if I did find it, if it is like the normal weekly tapes, I will not be able to hear the question, just the answer.  It kind of leaves it open for misinterpretations from viewere.  We need to step it up and make it a lot more friendlier to outsiders that are trying to give us a look.
Back to the top
Control functions: