Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Update on WR Derius Davis

Add topic

The first domino has fallen.

WR Derius Davis has decommitted from FAU. We first reported two months ago that Davis committed to FAU following a knee injury, but that's no longer the case.

Davis confirmed in a message Friday that his offer was pulled by FAU after the Carl Pelini scandal. With no clear answer as to who will be coaching next season, there is some uncertainty.

"I have no idea what's going on now," Davis said in a message.

Davis has since been in contact with USF.  

Back to the top

Pulled by FAU due to uncertainty.... does this mean all of the recruits will get the same notification? How does this usually go down when coaches are removed mid-season?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Pulled by FAU due to uncertainty…. does this mean all of the recruits will get the same notification? How does this usually go down when coaches are removed mid-season?
Posted On: Nov 8th 2013, 1:20 PM #321134

It's more of a case-by-case situation. Certain coaches have "their guys."

For example, QB Jason Driskel's primary recruiter is (or was) Brian Wright. The coaches are going to continue to recruit him and there is a chance he will still early-enroll in January. As for the others, it's difficult. We can assume that a few coaches will be holdovers when the next staff is in place (regardless of who that is) so they will have to start somewhere on the recruiting path.

In other situations when I have seen new head coaches take over, there has been a quick decision period. The coaches decide if the current commits fit their schemes, and then they make a decision on whether or not to keep recruiting them. It's a dirty practice, but that's the nature of the business.

A lot of people have approached me this week asking if the recruiting situation is a mess, and I say it's really not. There are only a few commits, and a majority of them will stick, but ultimately it's up to the next coach.
Back to the top

That was a great explanation, thank you!
Back to the top

I'm not sure how true any of this is. I heard ken lavicka say that anyone who had previously committed would have their commitment honored. however, if they had an offer and did not commit, they now have to wait a few weeks till more is know about the situation. so..maybe he made it up? or never officially committed? :Thinking:
Back to the top

Guest said

I'm not sure how true any of this is. I heard ken lavicka say that anyone who had previously committed would have their commitment honored. however, if they had an offer and did not commit, they now have to wait a few weeks till more is know about the situation. so..maybe he made it up? or never officially committed? :Thinking:
Posted On: Nov 9th 2013, 10:22 AM #321199

Well this is coming directly from the player who I have been in contact with throughout his recruitment so…
Back to the top

Guest said

Posted On: Nov 9th 2013, 10:22 AM #321199

Any commitment made at this time is verbal, meaning the student say they have an offer and have committed and FAU cannot confirm or deny it per NCAA regulations. New coaches routinely pull offers from guys who don't fit their scheme, sometimes they call and tell them directly, sometime they just stop recruiting them and hope they get the hint.

If you are willing to take these high school student's word that they were offered, why not take their word that the offer was pulled?
Back to the top