Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Armed robbery at UVA

Add topic

FYI

According to FAU Police, three Hispanic males with a handgun robbed a student living on the second floor of UVA last night. Much like the alleged carjacking, this wasn't random but a targeted attack. Apparently they're interviewing a suspect.

Back to the top

I know students are easy targets but how much can you possibly get robbing a student when you have to split it 3 ways?  Hard to imagine it is worth an armed robbery conviction
Back to the top

Seems to me like they were looking for something/someone specific. Second floor of a dorm room isn't random like an alleyway behind a bar.

More to this story as well.
Back to the top

Yeah I'm sure this student owed drug money or something like the last guy.

And these people were probably let in by someone else holding the door open. FAU tells students not to do that but people ignore it because it's the nice thing to do (usually). So people can get in and out of dorms fairly easily.

At least they got their faces on camera.

Back to the top

Unless they changed it you need a card in the IVA elevators and the card only lets you get off on your floor.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Unless they changed it you need a card in the IVA elevators and the card only lets you get off on your floor.
Posted On: Nov 12th 2013, 9:58 PM #321381

Which was a good design idea for IVA, absolutely.

In this case though it was the UVA dorm though, not IVA, and there are doors on both sides of the midsection that require an Owl card - or - a friendly resident to get you through those doors. I had friends who lived there and I never had an issue getting in and out of there.

In the case of UVA, FAU could consider sealing up those midsection doors and requiring everyone go through the lobby at the south end, which means they'd get vetted by an RA. It'd be an inconvenience for the students but in theory it'd cut down on crime.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

owlmart said

Posted On: Nov 12th 2013, 9:58 PM #321381

Which was a good design idea for IVA, absolutely.

In this case though it was the UVA dorm though, not IVA, and there are doors on both sides of the midsection that require an Owl card - or - a friendly resident to get you through those doors. I had friends who lived there and I never had an issue getting in and out of there.

In the case of UVA, FAU could consider sealing up those midsection doors and requiring everyone go through the lobby at the south end, which means they'd get vetted by an RA. It'd be an inconvenience for the students but in theory it'd cut down on crime.
Posted On: Nov 12th 2013, 10:09 PM #321384

Ahhh wasn't even paying attention
Back to the top
Control functions: