Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Brian Wright Poll

Should he lead the Owls to 4 straight wins, do you retain Brian Wright as Head Coach?

Yes
No

ok, ok, two down and two left to play and I feel like Brian Wright heard some of the opinions about him coming into this. Squeaking by with wins against these last few teams wouldn't be enough and his and the teams performance on Saturday showed they were out to impress the pollsters. 

So the question is, hypothetically of course, should Wright lead the Owls to two more wins and finish 6-6 with a Bowl berth, do you keep him? 

Yes for me. I thought this S Miss game was the one to fear, the emotion from the resignation had subsided, a week to get cold, and he kept the team focused, the players  seem to be really focused on our goal now, it's great to see. 
Back to the top

I dont want to say yes or no, but he highly should be considered if he wins out!

Go Owls!
Back to the top

I lean yes for a couple of reasons.  First because he's done a REALLY good job so far and if we win out, he'd have done a REALLY great job.  Second, if we don't hire him, we are likely looking at bringing in another team's coordinator…someone like Luke Fickell from OSU or Eddie Gran from Cincy.  Is that really going to move the needle in terms of ticket sales or team profile?  I don't think so….at least not enough to start all over again.  This staff had the team moving in the right direction before the Pelini fiasco and bringing in a completely new staff may disrupt the progress that has been made.

Now, a loss in the next 2 games and all bets are off, but I'm guessing that Chun is looking for a hungry, younger head coach who wants to be here, grow the program, and represent the University well in the community.  I don't see why that person can't be Brian Wright.   So for now, I'm a yes…but ask me again in 2 weeks….
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I lean yes for a couple of reasons.  First because he's done a REALLY good job so far and if we win out, he'd have done a REALLY great job.  Second, if we don't hire him, we are likely looking at bringing in another team's coordinator…someone like Luke Fickell from OSU or Eddie Gran from Cincy.  Is that really going to move the needle in terms of ticket sales or team profile?  I don't think so….at least not enough to start all over again.  This staff had the team moving in the right direction before the Pelini fiasco and bringing in a completely new staff may disrupt the progress that has been made.

Now, a loss in the next 2 games and all bets are off, but I'm guessing that Chun is looking for a hungry, younger head coach who wants to be here, grow the program, and represent the University well in the community.  I don't see why that person can't be Brian Wright.   So for now, I'm a yes…but ask me again in 2 weeks….
Posted On: Nov 17th 2013, 7:44 AM #321702

+1
If the plan is to bring a young coordinator as a head coach I think we would be better off with Wright, given that he wins out. 
Back to the top

I like the idea that we wouldn't have to pay Wright a huge salary and could use that money to add a talented coordinator that can recruit.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I like the idea that we wouldn't have to pay Wright a huge salary and could use that money to add a talented coordinator that can recruit.
Posted On: Nov 17th 2013, 12:01 PM #321711

What's not a huge salary?   If he got the offer and he accepted you don't think he will get something similar to what Pelini had?
Back to the top

I like Wright and the fact that he seems very invested in the program. I think he could be kept with a fairly low price-tag and then some built in incentives for winning.

Any idea what he is making now? Here is how I look at it. Hypothetically let's say he is making $180k as coordinator/interim. Make him an offer of $450K as head coach with a $50K bonus for a winning record, an additional $50K for a bowl win, and $50K more for a conference title. That brings him to a potential $600K with a base price tag that is where Pelini was at when he started.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I now think Pat Chun is in a good situation.  He has a guy on staff who will most likely work within the existing budget and who has become popular with a large portion of the fan base.  If Wright wins out and he signs him, people are happy.  Now he can go out and see if he can hit a grand slam with a major hire.  If he can land one, he looks good.  If he can't land one, he can say Wright was his guy the whole time.   He looks good either way IMO. 

My thought is that I like Wright to keep the momentum going.  Less disruption; we continue to improve and have incredible potential for next year.  I will defer to Chun to give us the best opportunity to grow this program in the quickest manner whichever way he goes.
Back to the top

fauowl said

I now think Pat Chun is in a good situation.  He has a guy on staff who will most likely work within the existing budget and who has become popular with a large portion of the fan base.  If Wright wins out and he signs him, people are happy.  Now he can go out and see if he can hit a grand slam with a major hire.  If he can land one, he looks good.  If he can't land one, he can say Wright was his guy the whole time.   He looks good either way IMO. 

My thought is that I like Wright to keep the momentum going.  Less disruption; we continue to improve and have incredible potential for next year.  I will defer to Chun to give us the best opportunity to grow this program in the quickest manner whichever way he goes.
Posted On: Nov 17th 2013, 12:56 PM #321714

+1  Some say he has to win out including the bowl game…do you think that would be good for recruiting not to have a coach in place before the bowl game which at the earliest would probably be December 20th?  I think that would be disastrous not to have a coach named prior to the bowl game.  We might as well start over, we need this turmoil resolved as quickly as possible with the best coach possible.
Back to the top

I vote yes.  If Wright wins out, bowl or no bowl, 6-6 should get him the opportunity.

If we'd only had him a month earlier….
Back to the top
Control functions: