Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU AD Pat Chun To Host "Town Hall' Style Meetings to Discuss Head Football Coaching Position

Just received word that Florida Atlantic Athletic Director Pat Chun will begin a series of meetings designed to share his vision for the next Head Coach of the Owls.

One might liken them to a "Town Hall" setting where he will be seeking feedback from others as well.

One catch, to attend these sessions you have to be a member of the Owl Scholarship fund.

And a call out:

This is nothing more than a leader sharing what he sees in a qualification listing with an open ear to those in attendance.

Nothing more to be read into, and nothing more to be deduced.
Back to the top

I don't know how I fell about this.
I get the feeling that this is saying hey I'm going to meet with some boosters to make the feel more involved.
Back to the top

Nice that he's reaching out. That's doing the right thing.

Just curious: is it against NCAA rules to have boosters fund (at least a portion of) a coach's salary?

I thought I read somewhere about boosters being able to pay towards a buyout… just wondering if it works on both ends.
Back to the top

I think it's a great way to raise money, anyone that isn't an OSF member wants their voice heard, pony up.  :Big-Grin:

But any type of town hall is usually dominated by crazy people who have the time to go to these things and ramble on Bout nonsense. Hopefully some folks bring valid requests and concerns
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

I don't know how I fell about this.
I get the feeling that this is saying hey I'm going to meet with some boosters to make the feel more involved.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2013, 7:59 PM #321922

That's exactly what he's doing…what's the problem with that?  You want more donors and you want them to feel they are a part of the program. That's how you build a connection.  
Back to the top

Perhaps he's concerned that the subtext is, "I know you guys are starting to rally around Wright but if I hire another guy, which I may already have found, then I want you to understand why it was that guy and not the incumbent."

Not saying that's what I think is happening, but it could be possible. I hope it's a, "just wanted to meet you guys so you feel involved, here's what I'd like to look for, you tell me what you're looking for, and I'll try to make a hire that makes us both happy." That is what I think is happening.

So who here can go and give us the report? I'm stuck in front of my computer from now til 12/4 for Finals :(
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Perhaps he's concerned that the subtext is, "I know you guys are starting to rally around Wright but if I hire another guy, which I may already have found, then I want you to understand why it was that guy and not the incumbent."

So who here can go and give us the report? I'm stuck in front of my computer from now til 12/4 for Finals :(
Posted On: Nov 20th 2013, 9:11 PM #321926

I made a specific point to the representative that we have a (predicated) poll running on this site showing clear support for Wright (currently 83%).

This does not translate to dollars in a fund, but assuredly should mean something towards "public opinion" since this site represents the largest online active and "non solicited" voice for FAU Football.

I also added that our FaceBook page saw a considerable number of "Likes" and comments in support:

Regardless, if Wright wins out, and gets to a Bowl, it would seems no brainer. If he wins a Bowl, Chun would be hard pressed to deny him an offer - although by a small Fan Base in all reality.

Lastly, after having spoken with a number of people, originally rejecting the notion of Wright being in the lead after this season, I stand corrected and now have a new position.

Having rethought the premise, it is clear that if the aforementioned were to happen, he would be the best possible choice for the program - hands down.

Success, proven ability to lead, continuity, and financial considerations combined make him the clear decision.

There is no doubt in my mind we will win the next two games - it is destined to be.

Looking past that, let's Hope we get the nod to a post season contest and he can show what he is capable of.
Back to the top

I can say that I am one of those people who's positin on Wright has changed.  He was hyped as the guy to open up our offense and make the team exciting to watch.  After the last season and a half, that wasn't happening and I figured that Wright was not the guy I thought he was.  Now that things have shaken out and I have seen him coach with full ability, I would be thrilled to have him as our next coach.  

As for the town hall meetings, I think it is great to have an AD that wants to get the boosters involved, or atleast keep them informed.  Whether or not he is just blowing smoke, it feels good as a fan to be kept in the loop.  It really shows me that Chun cares about the fans and he wants to make this a long term relationship.  

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I think we may be looking at how the ADs office is run in a BCS caliber university. I'm not bashing Angelos but his gifts are not PR and building a big fan base and booster community. Angelos' gift is compliance. That's why we've been able to keep out of trouble all these years. We have the reputation of having a clean athletic dept, now its Chun's turn develop the other areas.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: