Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Being in Cental Florida, Why did FIU fire Cristobal and hire Ron Turner?

Add topic

I thought they conceded the Miami area to FAU and Miami but got rid of a pretty good coach who was happy with the crappy facilities they have. He gets hired by Alabama as an OL head coach and assistant head coach which is an incredible kick upstairs for that guy's career.

I never thought much of Ron Turner as a QB coach in Tampa. He is the brother of Norv Turner without the successful coaching record (sarcasm alert). I am glad Cristobal is gone for FAU's program but it is certainly was an odd move.

What was the story?
Back to the top

rook01 said

I thought they conceded the Miami area to FAU and Miami but got rid of a pretty good coach who was happy with the crappy facilities they have. He gets hired by Alabama as an OL head coach and assistant head coach which is an incredible kick upstairs for that guy's career.

I never thought much of Ron Turner as a QB coach in Tampa. He is the brother of Norv Turner without the successful coaching record (sarcasm alert). I am glad Cristobal is gone for FAU's program but it is certainly was an odd move.

What was the story?
Posted On: Nov 30th 2013, 3:03 PM #322816

You should go to FIU's board and ask them….my opinion on Mario is he was a good recruiter got one AMAZING recruit, road him as far as he could.  Had no control over the team, was not a good "coach"…anyone know if FIU vandalized the locker room like they did last year?
Back to the top

Right now they hate Ron Turner so much that they only moan about losing Cristobal without giving any insight on why he was fired. I know Turner has a NFL pedigree through his brother Norv but Ron's coaching record is pretty poor. The fact that Nick Saban who can have almost any assistant coach he wants snatched him up means at the very least he is an excellent recruiter. The OL coach under Cristobal got snatched up by Marshall so the staff could not have been too bad.

By the way, that is why pedigrees are dangerous for selecting coaches. Carl Pellini might have been a decent recruiter by name but his game fay planning stinks compared to Brian Wright. I thought Pellini cost us at least two games and probably a third in the Middle Tennessee State game. We had the ball inside MTS territory with the score tied when Johnson was picked.
Back to the top

The other side to Cristobal that Ive read is that he and Garcia didnt get along, and when Butch Davis agreed to take the job, PG pulled the trigger on Mario before the paperwork was drawn up. Davis' people explained to him that he'd lose $600k per year severance for 3 years if he took the fiu gig, he then declined but Cristobal was already gone, they were screwed. 

I sure hope they didnt trash the locker room again this year, punks
Back to the top

I've always thought FAU/FIU were great jobs and could have the potential to be built into something like Patterson has done at TCU or Pederson at Boise.

There is SO much HS talent in this state that you could literally pick up the scraps and have a great class.  The conference upgrade is a plus and the stadium is beautiful.

Having gone to the last three home games, you can see a definite offensive improvement.  The D was always pretty tough.  Praying the Owls get in a bowl game!
Back to the top
Control functions: