Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If not Brian Wright, then...

We have had many threads in support of Brian Wright, but we should at least consider the other side.  We all know the pluses of keeping Wright and the current staff, but if you were the AD and making this decision, I think there would be a couple of minuses to consider, mainly: Lack of experience running a program and South Florida recruiting.

At our price point, I can't think of many coaches that would tick both boxes, but I was able to come up with 2 names and I haven't heard either mentioned much in connection to the job but probably should be: Mario Cristobal and Bethune Cookman Head Coach Brian Jenkins.  Cristobal isn't known as a great game day coach, but he is one of the most respected South Florida recruiters out there and he has had many years experience running a program.  Also, a year learning under Nick Saban never hurts.  He's also shown to be loyal, staying at FIU when he could have doubled (or tripled) his salary elsewhere.  He'd likely jump at the chance to move back to South Florida, and more importantly stick it to FIU.  Jenkins has had amazing success with B-CC with little resources.  His roster is also littered with kids from this area so he must have great relationships with the high school coaches down here.  He was just named MEAC coach of the year for the 3rd time in 4 seasons at B-CC.  Also, his season ended yesterday…Chun wants to have a coach in place by the 8th and Jenkins could start right away.

Now, please tell me if I'm missing someone, but outside of these 2, based on who we could afford, I only see candidates that either are re-tread head coaches (Mark Snyder, or to a lesser extent Fickell) or are known as great South Florida recruiters (Eddie Gran), but not both.

The question is if any of these guys are enough of an upgrade over Wright and the current staff.  I guess we'll know soon enough if Chun sticks to his timeline. 
Back to the top

I don't know of any other person other than Randy Shannon. However, he's probably not willing to take a pay cut. Quite honestly, I prefer Brian Jenkins to be the head coach over both Mario Cristobal and Brian Wright. Jenkins have the experience and the established relationships for recruiting better talent. Brian Wright is my 2nd choice.
Back to the top

brian jenkins uses a similar spread offense he is my 2nd choice
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

We have had many threads in support of Brian Wright, but we should at least consider the other side.  We all know the pluses of keeping Wright and the current staff, but if you were the AD and making this decision, I think there would be a couple of minuses to consider, mainly: Lack of experience running a program and South Florida recruiting.

At our price point, I can't think of many coaches that would tick both boxes, but I was able to come up with 2 names and I haven't heard either mentioned much in connection to the job but probably should be: Mario Cristobal and Bethune Cookman Head Coach Brian Jenkins.  Cristobal isn't known as a great game day coach, but he is one of the most respected South Florida recruiters out there and he has had many years experience running a program.  Also, a year learning under Nick Saban never hurts.  He's also shown to be loyal, staying at FIU when he could have doubled (or tripled) his salary elsewhere.  He'd likely jump at the chance to move back to South Florida, and more importantly stick it to FIU.  Jenkins has had amazing success with B-CC with little resources.  His roster is also littered with kids from this area so he must have great relationships with the high school coaches down here.  He was just named MEAC coach of the year for the 3rd time in 4 seasons at B-CC.  Also, his season ended yesterday…Chun wants to have a coach in place by the 8th and Jenkins could start right away.

Now, please tell me if I'm missing someone, but outside of these 2, based on who we could afford, I only see candidates that either are re-tread head coaches (Mark Snyder, or to a lesser extent Fickell) or are known as great South Florida recruiters (Eddie Gran), but not both.

The question is if any of these guys are enough of an upgrade over Wright and the current staff.  I guess we'll know soon enough if Chun sticks to his timeline. 
Posted On: Dec 1st 2013, 6:43 AM #322874
Wright and Jenkins are my 1 and 2 Jenkins might have more experience being a head coach and recruiting ties there is one thing he does not though And that's coaching this team.
Back to the top

Cristobal's name should never be brought up, i don't care how goos of a recruiter, who wants fiu's sloppy seconds.
Back to the top

NCowl said

Cristobal's name should never be brought up, i don't care how goos of a recruiter, who wants fiu's sloppy seconds.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2013, 9:42 AM #322881

I agree.  Let's never utter the "C" word again.
Back to the top

fauowl said

NCowl said

Posted On: Dec 1st 2013, 9:42 AM #322881

I agree.  Let's never utter the "C" word again.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2013, 10:45 AM #322883

Let me just say that "C" was only the musings from the FIU forum….I would be shocked if he got an interview, I doubt we would hire a former Sun Belt coach hahahaha.
Back to the top

I don't think it's too crazy a notion that Cristobal would get consideration.  He has head coaching experience, built FIU from scratch basically to a bowl team.  He is clearly a respected recruiter in this area.  He could have had the jobs at Pitt and Rutgers had he wanted them…and Nick Saban wouldn't have brought him in for no reason.  It's just a matter of time before he gets another head job.  Don't discount him just because he was fired at FIU.  To me, it's not getting their "seconds", it could be making FIU pay for their biggest mistake.  
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I don't think it's too crazy a notion that Cristobal would get consideration.  He has head coaching experience, built FIU from scratch basically to a bowl team.  He is clearly a respected recruiter in this area.  He could have had the jobs at Pitt and Rutgers had he wanted them…and Nick Saban wouldn't have brought him in for no reason.  It's just a matter of time before he gets another head job.  Don't discount him just because he was fired at FIU.  To me, it's not getting their "seconds", it could be making FIU pay for their biggest mistake.  
Posted On: Dec 1st 2013, 11:49 AM #322886

I am from Pittsburgh and from what I read he was never offered the job…he only interviewed.  He's a good recruiter, doesn't make a good coach.  You could argue that his teams under performed at FIU, find it unlikely we would consider MC.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

fauowls44 said

Posted On: Dec 1st 2013, 11:49 AM #322886

I am from Pittsburgh and from what I read he was never offered the job…he only interviewed.  He's a good recruiter, doesn't make a good coach.  You could argue that his teams under performed at FIU, find it unlikely we would consider MC.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2013, 12:03 PM #322887

I don't know what the deal is with Pitt, but they I know that they were interested…same with Rutgers…and he was hired by both UM and Alabama after he was let go by FIU.   Golden and Saban both know a thing or two about coaching and recruiting.  Maybe his teams underperformed at FIU, but he did get a lot of talent there with limited resources and he basically started with nothing.  With a nicer facility (not to mention a desire to stick it to his former employer), he could probably lure even better players here.  I'm not sure he'd be my first choice, but I wouldn't just dismiss the possibility either.  He has a lot of what I would think Pat Chun would be looking for in a candidate.
Back to the top
Control functions: