Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Commentary: Where the delay will really hurt

Jaquez Johnson, Braden Lyons, Mustafa Johnson, Adarius Glanton, Brandin Bryant and Lucky Whitehead –– they all have something in common.  Over the past two years FAU has managed to bring in a rich crop of junior college talent in the winter, and then turn them into starters by season’s end. But now, that opportunity to once again replenish the roster is quickly vanishing as Pat Chun’s search for a new coach drags into the eighth week.

While candidates such as Stan Drayton travel across the country with Urban Meyer to laud four and five star recruits, FAU’s recruiting campaign is in a flux. The current coaching staff has had to recruit with their hands tied behind their back –– and it’s only gotten worse.

With the mid-year junior college signing period seven days away, FAU has had to break contact with some of it’s top prospects. One lineman from California was expecting an in-home visit from the staff, only for it to be canceled. Another junior college player took an official visit to Boca Raton last week, before deciding to commit to a Georgia State program that went winless last season.

One three-star high school prospect was asked if he committed while he was on an official visit, and his response in a text message was a simple “lol.”

Things aren’t looking bright for FAU on the recruiting trail, and it’s a shame because the program is really a few pieces away from contending for a Conference-USA title. The Owls return nearly a dozen starters from last season’s squad, and have a group of able bodies ready to contribute. However, that doesn't mean another virtual junior-college draft would have helped. FAU could use another tight end or linebacker, and you can never have enough college-ready lineman on both sides of the ball.

Miami (Ohio) and Wyoming –– a pair of programs within the realm of FAU –– were able to making coaching hires and provide adequate time for the new staff to recruit. Wyoming fired and hired a new coach within a period of just six days. As of Wednesday, FAU’s coaching search has spanned 73 days.

Chun and his staff may be mulling over the right candidate, but one thing is clear for now: the window on a chance to bring in junior college players is all but closed. This weekend marks the last chance for mid-year signees to take visits before they ink letters of intent, and as of now it doesn't look like the next Braden Lyons or Adarius Glanton will be roaming campus.
Back to the top

I am patient...but it is starting to drag on.  My thoughts are background checks are being done...I am thinking that a delay might indicate a NON-Ohio State candidate...I feel the momentum in our recruiting slipping away, but it will be temporary.  The bottom line is getting the right guy.
Back to the top

hope someone pulls a rabbit out of the hat and does it soon.  
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

I feel the momentum in our recruiting slipping away, but it will be temporary. The bottom line is getting the right guy.
Posted On: Dec 11th 2013, 12:32 PM #323844

To play devil's advocate, the "other" bottom line is that National Signing day is 7.5 weeks from today.

Back to the top

Rick said

Tim FAU98 said

I feel the momentum in our recruiting slipping away, but it will be temporary. The bottom line is getting the right guy.

To play devil's advocate, the "other" bottom line is that National Signing day is 7.5 weeks from today.

Posted On: Dec 11th 2013, 12:36 PM #323846

True…but if you get the wrong guy what does it matter?  The other thought I have is, they could be working on the details of a contract.
Back to the top

True. Strange that Drayton was with Meyer last night recruiting running backs, he seems to be the clear leader.

Not sure if a "handoff" of sorts is done in these situations, where Meyer would pick up the recruiting of these kids if/when Drayton leaves but it seems odd that he's out there if he's our guy.

No buzz out of the University of a press conference scheduled either…lets hurry up gang
Back to the top

Chun is screwing the pooch here he has had 73 days.
Back to the top

I'm shocked that you are so impatient about this…

Settle down.  I'm sure this will be over shortly.
Back to the top

OC40 has a point, although I suppose you could argue that Chun couldn't officially interview people until the regular season was over.

Even if we ultimately find "the right guy for us" that isn't part of the current staff, recruiting is going to take a hit this year - no doubt about it.
Back to the top

Rick said

Tim FAU98 said

Posted On: Dec 11th 2013, 12:36 PM #323846

Have to agree, but you have to remember that 2.5 of those weeks are a no-contact period. It's also going to take at least a week or so to get the staff in place for whoever the new head coach is.
Back to the top
Control functions: