Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU vs. Maryland - 12/14/13 @ 2:00 PM

Add topic

What: FAU (3-7) vs Maryland (6-4)

When: Saturday, December 14th @ 2:00 PM

Where: Comcast Center

Terrapins Team Site: Here

TV: Fox Sports South

Live Video: ESPN3

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Internet Broadcast Info

Live Stats: Here

Probable Starters:

Maryland

G Dez Wells 15.8 ppg
G Jake Layman 14.3 ppg
G Roddy Peters 7.0 ppg
F Evan Smotrycz 13.1 ppg
C Shaquille Cleare 3.5 ppg

FAU

G Marquan Botley 5.2 ppg
G Jackson Trapp 11.2 ppg
G Pablo Bertone 20.0 ppg
F Kelvin Penn 4.7 ppg
C Justin Raffington 8.0 ppg

The series:

Saturday's contest will be the second meeting. Brett Royster hauled in 14 boards in the Owls 59-72 loss back on December 27, 2009, but FAU managed just a 31.5% overall showing from the floor.

Maryland at a Glance:

Maryland will face off with FAU in the Comcast Center Saturday after noon.

The Terripins picked up its sixth win and first conference victory of the season after routing Boston College 88-80, with the help of guard Dez Wells.

The junior is leading the Terrapins in points per game (15.8) for the second year in the row after transferring to Maryland from Xavier. Wells continued his scoring parade after putting up 33 on BC, leading the squad to an easy victory.

The Terps are finding production from their new forward Evan Smotrycz. The Michigan transfer was forced to sit out the 2012-13 season due to NCAA transfer rules. Smotrycz is third in team scoring (13.1) and dominates the post with 6.7 rebounds per game.

Sophomore Jake Layman has nocked himself a prominent role on Maryland’s frontcourt. Layman trails Dez Wells in scoring with 14.3 and is a dominant defensive force leading the team in blocks with 11 on the season. The Terps’ new frontcourt weapon is also a threat behind the 3-point line, shooting .441.

Marylands backcourt is backed by guard Nick Faust who has 16 steals on the season. The junior was elected to the ACC all freshman team in 2011-12 and has consistently posted solid offensive numbers (9.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg) through his three seasons with the Terrapins.

Maryland is entering its fourth season with head coach Mark Turgeon, and is looking to make its first tournament appearance since 2010. The Terps have a tough road to March Madness with ranked opponents such as Duke, UNC, and no. 2 Syracuse.

FAU at a Glance

FAU fell to DePaul Thursday night 81-70, despite another incredible performance by guard Pablo Bertone.

The Owls held the lead up unto the final seconds of the first half of play, and could not seem pick up any momentum in the second period.

Bertone, came into the game the reining Conference-USA player of the week and added another 30 point game to his season. Bertone is accountable for 42.8% of the Owls points in the 2013 season.

FAU’s Jackson Trapp has strung together five consecutive double-digit scoring games with his 17 points.

Starting center Dragan Sekelja did not dress Thursday due to a hyper extended knee. Sekelja will also sit out against Maryland, but FAU’s big man is expected to return in time for Tuesday’s game against Stetson.

As a result, center Justin Raffington picked up the start, and posted his third double-digit rebound game of the season with 12 boards against the Blue Demons.

The Owls face Maryland, who trumped Boston College Thursday; FAU fell in the final minutes to Boston College in the fourth game of the season.

Maryland assistant coach Scott Spinelli played under FAU head coach Mike Jarvis at Boston University. Saturday's game marks a return to the Washington D.C. area for Coach Jarvis, who led George Washington University to seven postseason appearances in eight years as head coach.

Latest Line:

Maryland -18

Owl's Nest Prediction

Although the Owls held DePaul to a close first half, mismatches in the frontcourt gave the Blue Demons the advantage in the post, which hindered  the Owl's second period offense. Saturday FAU faces a similar opponent, Maryland possesses a strong frontcourt that isn't afraid to get after the ball, and a balanced offense that can score from anyplace on the court.

Maryland -16

I love dropkicks and fat guy touchdowns.

Twitter: @jakobsansom
Back to the top

Back to the top

Today's starters:

Maryland

G Dez Wells
G Jake Layman
G Roddy Peters
F Evan Smotrycz
C Shaquille Cleare  

FAU

G Marquan Botley
G Jackson Trapp
G Pablo Bertone
F Kelvin Penn
C Justin Raffington

Back to the top

And we are off…

Owls win the tip..

Back to the top

Back to back miscues result in turnovers…

Thats 2 in the first 2 minutes.

Back to the top

Commentators just said Dragan is from Serbia..

Back to the top

3 turnovers in three minutes…

Still no baskets for the Owls.

Back to the top

Botley with the steal!

Back to the top

FAU is scoreless in almost 5 minutes if of play..

Back to the top

Have to figure out a way to deal with Dez Wells...he is just the type player that the Owls consistently have issues with.
Back to the top
Control functions: